June 8th General Election

Mudder

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Jeremy Corbyn is brilliant. He's coming across really well on the one show. 

His biggest strength this election is being an absolute boy.

WRT the childcare issue in the press today it just highlights ultimately that the press care about two things: protecting their own vested interests and looking for any "gotcha" moments. Corbyn not being able to mind (costed) childcare figures in the manifesto off the top of his head is somehow greater news than Theresa May valuing children's breakfasts, in her manifesto, at about 6.8 pence. 

12 hours ago, McSpreader said:

The idea that young people are emotionally and intellectually equipped to understand complex political issues  and their consequences is just plain ridiculous.

Their views on politics are based on the crap views and assumptions they learn at  school from their liberal-leftie, state funded , reality-insulated teachers in the unrealistic bubble we have created in our schools.

I can only assume you're playing to the gallery here, Mucky.  Sadly, it's a gallery of one.

My 18 yo has her first vote next week and I've been impressed at how seriously she and her pals are taking it.  

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I can only assume you're playing to the gallery here, Mucky.  Sadly, it's a gallery of one.

My 18 yo has her first vote next week and I've been impressed at how seriously she and her pals are taking it.  

I'll admit there are some can be trusted with such a weight of responsibility......but not that many. I'm glad your daughter is one of them.

The thought of 16yr olds having the vote.......never!

I'm not a fan of Corbyn, but he came across well on The One Show - he does tend to be good at that sort of thing. That won't necessarily translate into support for him becoming Prime Minister, though.

Dugdale was worse than I expected with Campbell, and handled most of the questions put to her pretty poorly. It was a fairly hostile audience, but she just never appears to be in full control of a debate. 

I don't know if I'm over estimating the scope that these sort of sessions bring but I genuinely think that the screen time that Corbyn had last night was very valuable.

The Irish boy early on asking him about his support of the IRA and referencing an incident which is complete bullshit and been spread by the media for the last couple of years allowed him an opportunity to directly say on camera that his information was wrong (sincerely and not being a dick about it) and basically state his position which was pretty non sinister. On foreign policy and security issues, he come across as very knowledgeable and as somebody who had a grasp of the issues. Some of the absurd questioning and hypotheticals kind of helped him out as it dragged the arse out of it which I think was good to bore people and just accept it.

I really think he should turn up himself for Wednesday's debate at the last minute.

Dugdale is a whiny cow and total fool. Maybe if she pushed the Labour manifesto instead of constantly bleating about "divisive referendums" then Scottish Labour might have a chance of breaking through.

As it stands though, Scottish Labour continue to be utter utter shitebags.

Kezia always comes across like a panicky conjurer trying to keep one too many plates in the air.

She's hopelessly out of her depth. And likely out of a job after another looming catastrophe for "Scottish" Labour north of the border.

I quite like Corbyn and some of his manifesto but there's no way I'd vote Labour up here.

24 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

Yes, he'd make a lovely neighbour......but PM?

Don't see why not to be honest. He's at least strong in his convictions, unlike his opponent. 

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Don't see why not to be honest. He's at least strong in his convictions, unlike his opponent. 

Principled in the main, but I'm still not sure what his opinions are on self-determination. I'm not sure he is either.

I like Corbyn, but he's weak. The Labour Party's voting record under his leadership is atrocious.

26 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I'm not a fan of Corbyn, but he came across well on The One Show - he does tend to be good at that sort of thing. That won't necessairly translate into support for him becoming Prime Minister, though.

Dugdale was worse than I expected with Campbell, and handled most of the questions put to her pretty poorly. It was a fairly hostile audience, but she just never appears to be in full control of a debate. 

She is a loose canon.

She mentioned devolving employment law, I can't find that in either this year's manifesto or last year's. Did she just make this policy up on the spot?

If Dugdale even bothered mentioning many of the (IMO) excellent policies in the UK Labour manifesto she'd have Scottish Labour doing better in vote share. She probably can't out Unionist the Tories but could easily claw back some who may have switched to Tories very recently and some left wing but not too fussed about Independence SNP voters

34 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

I'll admit there are some can be trusted with such a weight of responsibility......but not that many. I'm glad your daughter is one of them.

The thought of 16yr olds having the vote.......never!

What about 80 year olds...90, 100 year olds. People in old folks homes who couldn't tell you what year it is never mind what day it is.

They are entitled to vote, why not 16 year olds?

Archived