Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

Why aren't 16-17 year olds included in some polls on Scottish independence? They will be given the vote in an indyref2 situation, so why not poll them to get a clear idea of what the overall opinions are? Or are the Jockolandbad gang too scarred to publish a poll that will show Yes on 54%+?

Edited by DAFC.

24 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Why aren't 16-17 year olds included in some polls on Scottish independence? They will be given the vote in an indyref2 situation, so why not poll them to get a clear idea of what the overall opinions are? Or are the Jockolandbad gang too scarred to publish a poll that will show Yes on 54%+?

Probably two things:

1. Most polling methodology is built around 18+ age groups so it's maybe the case that organisationally, there is a mental block on trying to add the lower age groups.

2. Contacting younger age groups is notoriously tricky for pollsters, likely magnified when you get into the 16-17 group. Seen a few before where the weighting added to that group is pretty dramatic because they only got a very few 16-17 year olds to answer. Therefore maybe they think the error given to massively up weighting a small group is worth more than not contacting that group at all.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:
5 hours ago, renton said:

Which means the lead is bigger.

Probably, yeah. Doubt it's a huge impact on it's own, probably 1%

17 minutes ago, renton said:

Probably, yeah. Doubt it's a huge impact on it's own, probably 1%

A survey, commissioned by Conservative peer Lord Ashcroft, said 71% of 16 to 17-year-olds voted for Scotland to be independent and 29% voted against.

So even if the age-group contributed their political views, it didn't appear to influence the outcome.

8 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

A survey, commissioned by Conservative peer Lord Ashcroft, said 71% of 16 to 17-year-olds voted for Scotland to be independent and 29% voted against.

So even if the age-group contributed their political views, it didn't appear to influence the outcome.

Where is this information?

I know the BBC likes to be even handed in these things but I can't see a single solitary mention of any of this on their website at UK or Scotland level, whether in News or Politics sections. 

Maybe they just didn't hear about it. 

28 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Be interested to know what the polling from EU citizens living in Scotland looks like since 2014/2016!

They're all back home before they're scapegoated.

8% of SNP voters answered 'no' to the question, "should Scotland be an independent country?"  :lol:

I fucking love these polls. IIRC, there's about 5% of Brexit/UKIP voters who don't think the UK should leave the EU  :1eye

8% of SNP voters answered 'no' to the question, "should Scotland be an independent country?"  [emoji38]
I fucking love these polls. IIRC, there's about 5% of Brexit/UKIP voters who don't think the UK should leave the EU  :1eye
My modern studies teacher at academy (2004-2010) was a SNP voter and very aligned with their views, apart from on independence. These strange types do exist

8% of SNP voters answered 'no' to the question, "should Scotland be an independent country?"  :lol:

If this had been 15 years ago, I’d be very very surprised at that, but the SNP have- in the most part- proved themselves to be competent in government, so I kinda get why this might be happening now.

3 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

My modern studies teacher at academy (2004-2010) was a SNP voter and very aligned with their views, apart from on independence. These strange types do exist

I'd assume it must not be a terribly important issue for them. Aye, I suppose I'd rather stay in the UK, but frankly I just want the bins emptied on time. Not too fussed really.

However, when you see statistics like that, it does make you wonder if there were National Front voters who were ardently against kicking the shit out of black people, but who really identified with their economic policies and charismatic leadership.

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

I know one person who was an SNP voter in 2007 and 2011, but was against indy until about 3 weeks before the referendum! Of course she is all for Independence now, but it was about a month or so before the referendum that she decided and was No right through the summer etc in 2014. 

Edited by Kejan

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Unionists voting for the SNP give then their majority. It's why the SNP promise that a vote for them isn't a vote for indepedence,  but a vote for a referendum. 

1 hour ago, Brother Blades said:

If this had been 15 years ago, I’d be very very surprised at that, but the SNP have- in the most part- proved themselves to be competent in government, so I kinda get why this might be happening now.

I know of relatives who are unionists who back around 2000 til 2010would vote SNP more as anti-Labour vote rather than a pro independence vote. This would have been when a vote on independence wasn't seem as likely to happen

Edited by Turkmenbashi

10 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Unionists voting for the SNP give then their majority. It's why the SNP promise that a vote for them isn't a vote for indepedence,  but a vote for a referendum. 

I wonder which SNP policies are most popular with this demographic.