Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

16 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

By twice linking to a poll that had already been linked in a previous post.  Ok.

To be honest I am just happy that the polls are showing the support for independence and the appetite to have another referendum are dropping.

12 hours ago, TAFKAM said:

As I continually bang on - we will only win if we take the most pessimistic view of why a poll reflects something bad for our position. I get so frustrated by the kneejerk compulsion to find some externality to explain away stuff like this. There's a fucking truckload of things the SNP is not doing very well at just now and I want them to take heed when polls tell them so and do better. If not, then murmur that the SNP are turning into ~2006 Labour is going to become a roar by next election.

If you look at the periods of a Yes lead since 2016, you find it tends to be generated by a crisis of faith in the UK, rather than by any positive action by the Scottish Government.

The immediate aftermath of Brexit, the comparative shambles of the response to Covid prior to the vaccine program.... it seems to me like it is more about people running away from the Union rather than running towards Scotland.

The available swing vote as far as I can see is a strata of society that is basically comfortable enough with a status quo that they don't have to think about too hard, and who start to nervously eye the exit door when, as happens with increasing regularity, the UK shits the bed.

You might win a referendum on the basis you catch the Tories at a bad time and the swing vote breaks your way. Far from certain though. Hell, maybe you run a campaign so well that you bring them with you anyway. The country is basically split down the middle and any referendum now would likely be a toss-up.

Relying on the polls as an adjudicator of when the campaign should begin is dumb anyway as any halfway competent indy campaign should see support rising for independence.

Edited by NotThePars
deleting additional anyways that made me sound like that Burnistoun character in the ice cream van

Aye that's a very good description. I think it's a long game really. Every time there's this surge in support as you say, the SNP are trying to convert a proportion of them into supporters of the party. When they f**k up about donations, schools, hospitals, selecting megalomaniacs as MPs etc then it dents them and they lose these folk again. This is why eejits think the SNP is only interested in consolidating domestic power and not advancing independence.

Consolidating domestic power and advancing independence are not mutually exclusive.

I think it's an absolute necessity that the Scottish Government shows they are competent.

On 18/06/2021 at 07:35, ICTChris said:

Thank you very much middle England NIMBYs

4C4EA496-23F8-45DF-91C4-7CE5A846F9D4.png

Considering following this up with a bet on Labour to win Bately and Spen.  Some briefings today that Labour think they might shade it.  They are current 7/2 with the Tories 1/6.

I don't even know who the Tory candidate is, most of the focus has been on the Labour candidate being harrassed and George Galloway being George Galloway. 

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Considering following this up with a bet on Labour to win Bately and Spen.  Some briefings today that Labour think they might shade it.  They are current 7/2 with the Tories 1/6.

I don't even know who the Tory candidate is, most of the focus has been on the Labour candidate being harrassed and George Galloway being George Galloway. 

I've grabbed Labour at 3/1.  The odds have narrowed slightly in Labour's favour  - whilst I think they're up against it, I dont think their prospects are as bad as was being discussed in the media.

Seeing a few tweets saying that Labour are increasingly confident they’ve held it. Bet365 don’t seem to have it listed anymore and I can’t even view the bet I placed, £10 on Labour hold. Do they do this for electoral law reasons?

That's an excellent hold for Labour, especially given the number off votes Galloway took. I doubt many Tory votes went to him. 

Given the amount of votes that went to some weird local party that was basically a UKIP reincarnation, I thought they would lose this ehen coupling with Galloway running.