New clubs in the East of Scotland

43 minutes ago, GordonS said:

In principal I don't object to reserves starting at the bottom, but I have to say it's not the same when you play them. They generally have no support at all and you know that winning is less important to them than developing players for the first team. As others have said, if they're largely ring-fenced for the season that's less of an issue. You wouldn't want them making up a big proportion of your division though.

I wonder if this would this mean Livi withdrawing from the SPFL reserve league, or playing in both.

Given the SPFL Reserve League is a single round robin currently they could easily do both.

16 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

So what would the ceiling be league wise for any B clubs prepared to start right at the bottom of the pyramid?

Whichever level is lower than their parent club I would think.

1. SPFL

2. LL

3. EoS, SoS, WoS

4. Amateur

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Given the SPFL Reserve League is a single round robin currently they could easily do both.

There's also the Reserve League Cup which has a group stage, but yeah, it's still very few games a season and they're all midweek. Livi are also more likely to use first team players in need of minutes in the SPFL reserves than in an EoS squad.

Livi promote non-league games in West Lothian when they're not playing so they might be using this for a bit of outreach too.

6 hours ago, Ginaro said:

The decision on new clubs will come after the conclusion of the play-offs, right? So clubs would know if the EOS is down two clubs on this season, which may influence things and also change the setup again after Rosyth's exit?

Their will be 15 teams in the second division regardless of who comes In or out. 

As burnie says their is a special general meeting where it will be discussed. Likely be a vote in principal with a full vote at the agm in june

4 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

So what would the ceiling be league wise for any B clubs prepared to start right at the bottom of the pyramid?

Lowland League or Highland League imo should be the ceiling .

Unless there's wider changes we already know what the ceiling is, Tier 6. Unless they want to pay the fees to the LL.

EDIT: This is more of a trivial side-note. Would this be Livingston joining the EoSFA and enter the City Cup?

Edited by FairWeatherFan

On 05/04/2024 at 22:45, FairWeatherFan said:

Unless there's wider changes we already know what the ceiling is, Tier 6. Unless they want to pay the fees to the LL.

EDIT: This is more of a trivial side-note. Would this be Livingston joining the EoSFA and enter the City Cup?

They were EOSFA members before and played in the City Cup. For some reason they then joined the West of Scotland FA. 

Forgive me if I sound insane, but isn't the idea of playing football - win lose or draw - means clubs get promoted, relegated and the rest happily stagnate. I was under the impression that the Reserve/Colts/ Spare players X1/ couldn't be promoted, so what's the bloody point ? Said it many times, Spfl, sort out your own reserve league and leave the 'proper' football clubs alone 👊

23 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Forgive me if I sound insane, but isn't the idea of playing football - win lose or draw - means clubs get promoted, relegated and the rest happily stagnate. I was under the impression that the Reserve/Colts/ Spare players X1/ couldn't be promoted, so what's the bloody point ? Said it many times, Spfl, sort out your own reserve league and leave the 'proper' football clubs alone 👊

As it has been pointed out elsewhere on p&b there is a spfl reserve league 9 clubs play each other home or away mainly on a tuesday afternoon

3 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Stirling Uni Reserves have played in the EoS since the LL was formed, and they get promoted/relegated, they just dont play in cups. Doesn't harm/effect anyone.  I'm going to assume Livingston B will be the same (and Gala Fairydean Rovers Reserves for that matter should they be granted membership).

Edited by Burnieman

5 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Stirling Uni Reserves have played in the EoS since the LL was formed, and they get promoted/relegated, they just dont play in cups. Doesn't harm/effect anyone.  I'm going to assume Livingston B will be the same (and Gala Fairydean Rovers Reserves for that matter should they be granted membership).

They do play in the cups. Just gets more obviously murky when it comes to the Qualifying Cup. 

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

They do play in the cups. Just gets more obviously murky when it comes to the Qualifying Cup. 

Yeah they do actually only the League Cup I think, and the King Cup.  Not SCC, Qualifying Cup, Scottish Cup, Alex Jack.

10 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Yeah they do actually only the League Cup I think, and the King Cup.  Not SCC, Qualifying Cup, Scottish Cup, Alex Jack.

It's one of the key differences between the "reserve" teams in the pyramid leagues and the B teams that bought their way into the Lowland League.

As far as i'm aware all the reserves are full members of their leagues with voting rights. It's just some specific exemptions that prevent certain clubs playing in a competition.

Stranraer (SoSFL) don't play in the SCC for instance, as clubs that are a member of the SPFL are barred from the competition.

In Stirling University's case they do actually play in all the possible competitions: EoS League Cup, King Cup, SCC, Qualifying Cup, Scottish Cup.

Its why I was wondering about Livingston. If they join the EoSFA again it should mean they play in the City Cup, as on paper they are an SPFL team.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's one of the key differences between the "reserve" teams in the pyramid leagues and the B teams that bought their way into the Lowland League.

As far as i'm aware all the reserves are full members of their leagues with voting rights. It's just some specific exemptions that prevent certain clubs playing in a competition.

Stranraer (SoSFL) don't play in the SCC for instance, as clubs that are a member of the SPFL are barred from the competition.

In Stirling University's case they do actually play in all the possible competitions: EoS League Cup, King Cup, SCC, Qualifying Cup, Scottish Cup.

Its why I was wondering about Livingston. If they join the EoSFA again it should mean they play in the City Cup, as on paper they are an SPFL team.

Yeah the reserve team cannot play in the same competition as their first team ie SCC, EoSQ, nor the Alex Jack Cup as the first team are already a full SFA member.

Re the City Cup, yeah probably correct.

Times have changed since EoS had reserve sides regularly, for good reasons. Now there's a pyramid and the big teams abusing power to create player farms in the lower divisions. The bad now outweighs the good and Stranraer and Stirling should find somewhere else to play their reserves.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Times have changed since EoS had deserve sides regularly, for good reasons. Now there's a pyramid and the big teams abusing power to create player farms in the lower divisions. The bad now outweighs the good and Stranraer and Stirling should find somewhere else to play their reserves.

The only reason their is a problem with it is because of the way rangers celtic and hearts did it. I don't really have a problem with it if they come in at the bottom 

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Times have changed since EoS had deserve sides regularly, for good reasons. Now there's a pyramid and the big teams abusing power to create player farms in the lower divisions. The bad now outweighs the good and Stranraer and Stirling should find somewhere else to play their reserves.

I don't think reserve sides do any harm at all and given the long history of reserves in the EoS, I don't think there is any level of opposition from member clubs as long as it's done correctly and with respect (which was lacking with the shoehorning of the B sides into the LL, but ultimately the LL member clubs voted for it).  

Livingston B will play games at the main stadium, so bring with them proper facilities, same with the Gala application, and they'll start at the bottom.  I don't see any reason not to allow them to join as long as they tick all boxes.

On 05/04/2024 at 21:02, searchers1963 said:

Their will be 15 teams in the second division regardless of who comes In or out. 

As burnie says their is a special general meeting where it will be discussed. Likely be a vote in principal with a full vote at the agm in june

Anyone know when the SGM is being held? I hope they are positive about the potential two new teams.