New clubs in the East of Scotland

42 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Would be interesting to see if true, as Luncarty as a town is split by the HL/LL boundary with the ground in the HL area.

I guess a common sense approach may be taken with that.   A bit like Harthill being in Lanarkshire, but the ground is actually in West Lothian.

10 minutes ago, Anychance said:

Thornton & Kirkcaldy ive heard

although Thornton don't have a fence around there ground but do have planning permission for one

to be honest if inverkeithing can get membership think it would be hard to deny any other club on there ground

I think once a few go the rest will too. I think be left with syngenta and the three reserve sides if this keeps going

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

I guess a common sense approach may be taken with that.   A bit like Harthill being in Lanarkshire, but the ground is actually in West Lothian.

Except Harthill are in the east region as they should be as a Greenrigg team, and it's not clear what would have happened if they had wanted to be in the west region as only Stirlingshire and Clackmannanshire teams got to choose in junior terms after their shared county league collapsed in the 1930s.

Given the only rule that seems to be in place related to the Tay Bridge boundary in senior grade terms is where the relegated team 42 winds up, it's not clear what would prevent the EoS from taking all the remaining Perth and Kinross based junior clubs (Scone, Luncarty, Coupar Angus and Blairgowrie), if they wanted to.

I think the EoS only mention counties in their constitution and they set the precedent on that with Jeanfield. It's Dundee and Angus teams that would be a case of moving into previously uncharted territory. It could always be made clear that the EoS can not guarantee that the LL would accept them, if they ever won promotion, but how likely is that for any of these clubs?

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Except Harthill are in the east region as they should be as a Greenrigg team, and it's not clear what would have happened if they had wanted to be in the west region as only Stirlingshire and Clackmannanshire teams got to choose in junior terms after their shared county league collapsed in the 1930s.

Given the only rule that seems to be in place related to the Tay Bridge boundary in senior grade terms is where the relegated team 42 winds up, it's not clear what would prevent the EoS from taking all the remaining Perth and Kinross based junior clubs (Scone, Luncarty, Coupar Angus and Blairgowrie), if they wanted to.

I think the EoS only mention counties in their constitution and they set the precedent on that with Jeanfield. It's Dundee and Angus teams that would be a case of moving into previously uncharted territory. It could always be made clear that the EoS can not guarantee that the LL would accept them, if they ever won promotion, but how likely is that for any of these clubs?

I don't think the EoS would currently accept clubs who are not eligible for promotion to the LL.  If the boundary is formally changed then that's a different matter.

Luncarty are a borderline case with half the village they represent in the LL area.   Harthill and Polkemmet before them have always been east clubs, but pre-war Harthill clubs were only ever in Lanarkshire competition.  No reason why the current club couldn't have joined the West Region Juniors when they re-formed, but it's more practical for them to play in the east.

15 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I don't think the EoS would currently accept clubs who are not eligible for promotion to the LL.  If the boundary is formally changed then that's a different matter.

Luncarty are a borderline case with half the village they represent in the LL area.   Harthill and Polkemmet before them have always been east clubs, but pre-war Harthill clubs were only ever in Lanarkshire competition.  No reason why the current club couldn't have joined the West Region Juniors when they re-formed, but it's more practical for them to play in the east.

Don't think there's anything in the LL constitution on the Tay Bridge boundary:

https://slfl.co.uk/rules/lowland-league-rules/

so it's not clear that the LL could actually block a club that the EoS had accepted from being promoted on the basis of geography. There's a reason why the SFA don't seem to view this as a significant issue.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Don't think there's anything in the LL constitution on the Tay Bridge boundary:

https://slfl.co.uk/rules/lowland-league-rules/

so it's not clear that the LL could actually block a club that the EoS had accepted from being promoted on the basis of geography. There's a reason why the SFA don't seem to view this as a significant issue.

The LL already clarified when they were looking for potential applications last season that it was for clubs south of the Tay boundary,

The leagues are the one's who decide who can or cannot be a member, therefore if the LL don't accept HL area clubs, and EoS present them with one as Champions, they simply won't go up (or take part in a play-off). Therefore I'd think it's highly unlikely the EoS will accept these clubs unless the boundary changes.

The boundary issue is to be discussed by the leagues and members prior to the next PWG, where opinions will be fed back. 

Personally I'm not averse to Tayside and Angus clubs coming on board in order to move things along with the Pyramid (as long as there is unity between the two leagues), but it comes at the cost of the LL area extending and being overloaded with clubs, and the possibility of a Talbot v Forfar West End LL match, which IMO is daft.

The dam has been weakened in the East and its only a matter of time before its completely breached. I cannot fathom why clubs such as Whitburn, a powerful player in the junior game until fairly recently, have stuck with the East Region Juniors. Surely common sense must prevail this spring as the entire junior structure, possibly outwith the North Region, is doomed to collapse. 

I remember talking to a Hurlford fan at a match and trying to explain how nothing would change for almost every club other than the competition name changing but he was convinced midweek trips across Central Scotland would be the result. 

Change is happening at a pace few could have considered possible only a few years ago. As a new decade beckons, the entire Scottish game will be transformed over the next ten years also. 

7 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

The LL already clarified when they were looking for potential applications last season that it was for clubs south of the Tay boundary ...

My point was that there is nothing right now in the LL constitution that would block Luncarty if they were entering from below by promotion rather than application. Same goes for the subsequent step up to the SPFL. They would wind up in the HL if subsequently relegated, however.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

My point was that there is nothing right now in the LL constitution that would block Luncarty if they were entering from below by promotion rather than application. Same goes for the subsequent step up to the SPFL. They would wind up in the HL if subsequently relegated, however.
Luncarty straddles both areas though, so a bit of common sense should prevail. Forfar West End or Broughty or Lochee are entirely different matters.

40 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It doesn't change how the club is perceived.

Well it does... the team known as LRCFC have existed as a separate entity for years, unlike the others (in present guises). Linlithgow Thistle/BUJFC is a tribute act, while Sauchie were set up by the Dunblane Thistle Ams guys to be some sort of feeder for the Junior side, red tape aside.

5 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Well it does... the team known as LRCFC have existed as a separate entity for years, unlike the others (in present guises). Linlithgow Thistle/BUJFC is a tribute act, while Sauchie were set up by the Dunblane Thistle Ams guys to be some sort of feeder for the Junior side, red tape aside.

Well it does and they are pretty much a tribute act to Linlithgow Rose aswell.

Just now, cmontheloknow said:

People explaining the difference does not change the perception.

You go Linlinthgow Rose and think of one club. Linlithgow Rose CFC are going to be seen the same way on first appearance as Bo'ness United Juniors, Sauchie Juniors CFC, Stranraer SoS, Stirling University EoS and Caledonian Braves SoS.