New clubs in the East of Scotland

51 minutes ago, Cyril said:

Any further information on the make up of the two parallel leagues?

The EoS is waiting to hear if there are any late applications (eg Craigroyston ?), the deadline for which is the EoS AGM on 7th June. An announcement will be made then.

The EoS is waiting to hear if there are any late applications (eg Craigroyston ?), the deadline for which is the EoS AGM on 7th June. An announcement will be made then.

Waiting for Saturdays result too. How many teams does the EoS have now? Let’s make the fairly safe assumption Kelty win their play off.

52 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Waiting for Saturdays result too. How many teams does the EoS have now? Let’s make the fairly safe assumption Kelty win their play off.

2018-19 stands at:

13 current ... Hawick, LTHV, Preston, Leith, Tynecastle, HW Uni, Peebles, Stirling Uni EOS, Burntisland, Coldstream, Eyemouth, Ormiston, Tweedmouth
+
13 new ... Bonnyrigg, Hill of Beath, Camelon, Musselburgh, Haddington, Blackburn, Tranent, Dalkeith, Edinburgh Utd, Crossgates, Easthouses, Dunipace, Inverkeithing
+
? Vale of Leithen
+
? late applicants
=
26-27+

Craigroyston are definitely on the move back. Confirmed by one of their players I was speaking to yesterday. Dunbar situation is interesting ... committee unanimously voted to stay Junior but have made enquiries.

10 minutes ago, kleptomaniac said:

Craigroyston are definitely on the move back. Confirmed by one of their players I was speaking to yesterday. Dunbar situation is interesting ... committee unanimously voted to stay Junior but have made enquiries.

Making 2 big assumptions - Craigroyston are accepted, and Cove defeat Cowdenbeath (sending Vale down), that results in 28 teams. Two groups of 14 seems ideal!

1 hour ago, Cyril said:

7th June is slightly late considering the season begins late July.

AGM is always about then (see few pages back), and until this season all applications - whether ontime or late - were considered then. Usually when the initial cup draws etc. get made, too.

(Indeed back in 2008 when Annan joined SFL3 there was an EGM in early July, when Gretna 2008 were admitted and Selkirk reprieved from relegation- though that'd be cutting it very fine!).

According to their website SPFL fixture list is released on June 15th. LL usually follows about 1 week later, and EOSL about 1 week after that.

29 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

Making 2 big assumptions - Craigroyston are accepted, and Cove defeat Cowdenbeath (sending Vale down), that results in 28 teams. Two groups of 14 seems ideal!

Then the question is do you go for two parallel leagues - where you have to try and balance each of them, and you'll still have uncompetitive games like Bonnyrigg v Tweedmouth - or use  qualifying leagues to seed teams into a premier and first division (for more competitive games).

Edited by Ginaro

Then the question is do you go for two parallel leagues - where you have to try and balance each of them, and you'll still have uncompetitive games like Bonnyrigg v Tweedmouth - or use  qualifying leagues to seeded teams into a premier and first division (for more competitive games).

Two parallel conferences at their 6 is already decided AFAIK, the method of configuring those is to for debate, but the suggestion to seed then to end up with two similarly strong groups seems the most sensible approach.

12 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Two parallel conferences at their 6 is already decided AFAIK, the method of configuring those is to for debate, but the suggestion to seed then to end up with two similarly strong groups seems the most sensible approach.

I'm just thinking if you're going to the trouble of having qualifying leagues for seeding, then why not go the whole hog and use them to make two competitive divisions? Instead of having parallel divisions with teams ranked 1,3,5,7,9...27 and 2,4,6,8,10...28, have the top 14 and bottom 14 to avoid the thrashings we've seen this season.

3 hours ago, Cyril said:

7th June is slightly late considering the season begins late July. Craigroyston and Dunbar with late entries + possibly Vale of Leithen would leave an odd number of teams.

EoS hasn't published any "closing date" for late applicants, but any potential candidates would be well advised to submit their applications by 31st May IMO.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

I'm just thinking if you're going to the trouble of having qualifying leagues for seeding, then why not go the whole hog and use them to make two competitive divisions? Instead of having parallel divisions with teams ranked 1,3,5,7,9...27 and 2,4,6,8,10...28, have the top 14 and bottom 14 to avoid the thrashings we've seen this season.

Because the intention of the parallel leagues is to give all members a fair shot of being in the following seasons Premier Divsion/First Division based on performance and not preconceived notions.

I think he means use the Qualifying League sections at the start of the season, to populate Premier and First divisions for the remainder of the season... instead of running parallel conferences for the full season (then potentially combining the top and bottom halves of each into Premier and First Divisions for a following season)?

e.g. 7 QL sections of 4 clubs, top 2s forming Premier / bottom 2s forming First.

Major downside is your entire fates rests on 3 (or 6?) games at the very start of the season, and only after they're done do you know who's in each division for fixtures etc.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Because the intention of the parallel leagues is to give all members a fair shot of being in the following seasons Premier Divsion/First Division based on performance and not preconceived notions.

As HJ says I was referring to using some sort of qualifying league system to decide who goes where for the full season - I've seen it mentioned here a couple of times before. I understand the downside though of having a short qualifying system which affects the whole season.

But parallel conferences where you don't play any games beforehand will still have to be decided in some way. You could end up with one conference which is stronger than the other and a team might not get into the top half for next season because of it. It's all about where the new clubs fit in and ensuring there's an even spread of "good and bad" teams in these parallel divisions.

I know there's no perfect way of doing it though - even having a full 27+ team league playing each team once has the downside of a lottery of who you play home/away. Whatever happens at least it should only be for one season.

Edited by Ginaro

Couple of points to comment on

1  Craigroyston. I can confirm that an application to rejoin has been made.

2 League set up.  There is highly unlikely to be a set up which pleases all clubs.  Obviously cant have all the new clubs form a second division as only 2 could get promoted meaning a minimum of 2 years before any promotion which would be ok if all teams were happy with that but I doubt that.

How would qualifying leagues be drawn?

Glad I don't have to make these decisions

9 minutes ago, coco62 said:

Couple of points to comment on

1  Craigroyston. I can confirm that an application to rejoin has been made.

2 League set up.  There is highly unlikely to be a set up which pleases all clubs.  Obviously cant have all the new clubs form a second division as only 2 could get promoted meaning a minimum of 2 years before any promotion which would be ok if all teams were happy with that but I doubt that.

How would qualifying leagues be drawn?

Glad I don't have to make these decisions

Apparently the 2 parallel (Tier 6) leagues will be seeded, based on recent performance, with top & bottom halves of each determining who is in the 1st & 2nd divisions (tiers 6 & 7) for the following season (2019/20).  For 2019/20, there could also be 2 parallel 2nd divisions (at tier 7),  if there is another influx of new clubs, at that time. 

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I think he means use the Qualifying League sections at the start of the season, to populate Premier and First divisions for the remainder of the season... instead of running parallel conferences for the full season 

This imo is what should happen, although you’re never going to make everyone happy, regardless of how it is going to be done. I just think the 2 parallel leagues is a shite idea. As for the f**k the juniors, look after the existing members idea, deary fucking me. Let’s see close, competitive games throughout the season