Glenafton v Talbot Junior Cup Final 2017

Stillseekfedup

34 minutes ago, AftonArmy1994 said:

After last nights whetting of the appetite I think it's safe to say that the final will be a very tasty affair without a doubt.

Talbot I feel continue to appear to have a bit of a superiority complex over Glens despite us taking 6 points from them this season now.  And being well matched up over past couple of seasons.  Under estimate us at your pearl come 4th June.

Well matched ?

You came back up to the top division in season 12/13 and there have been 8 matches in the league before this season since you came back up. Talbot had won all 8 including a few scuddings

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've watched Glens for over 30 years home and away. Were having a good spell just now but there's been many highs and lows.
I'm certainly not getting carried away and for me Talbot's still the team to beat. No pressure on us because no one expected such a good season. Anything we can get is a bonus.
If we can win something and build on it, that would be amazing. If not, I'll still be there at the start of the season supporting the team and management.

I've watched Glens for over 30 years home and away. Were having a good spell just now but there's been many highs and lows.
I'm certainly not getting carried away and for me Talbot's still the team to beat. No pressure on us because no one expected such a good season. Anything we can get is a bonus.
If we can win something and build on it, that would be amazing. If not, I'll still be there at the start of the season supporting the team and management.

I would say the opposite. You have win back to back wins against us.
If you don't think there isn't any pressure your misguided lol.
Both teams have it and I think that's why it'll be a cracker of a final for that reason

I would say the opposite. You have win back to back wins against us.
If you don't think there isn't any pressure your misguided lol.
Both teams have it and I think that's why it'll be a cracker of a final for that reason

If you start with nothing you have nothing to lose. Talbot defending league champs, great record in the Scottish going back many many years.
We have exceeded all expectations already this season. Glens can just go and play, no pressure of expectation.
As I've said, IMO Talbot still the team to beat.
Hope its a great day out and the best team win.

I'd say that if you think there's no pressure on your team in a national cup final, on TV, with the friends, families and colleagues of the players watching, and the hopes and expectations of entire communities on their shoulders you're talking.....what's the word I'm looking for.......shite.

I've got to agree, this is the highest pressure game at Junior level and to add to matters it's a local derby this year. Massive pressure involved for both sides, perhaps even more so for Glenafton who lost their last final a few years ago and haven't experienced as many Cup finals as some(most) Talbot players.

I've got to agree, this is the highest pressure game at Junior level and to add to matters it's a local derby this year. Massive pressure involved for both sides, perhaps even more so for Glenafton who lost their last final a few years ago and haven't experienced as many Cup finals as some(most) Talbot players.

Glens will give it their best that's for sure. And that's all as supporters we can ask for.
Just hoping it's cheers and not tears on the cup final day ????

you can only do so much to make the collective that is the club as relaxed but focused as possible. Individual players in both sides will be experiencing a few sleepless nights in the run up regardless of the prevailing mood of their teammates.

Junior cup finals are often poor quality compared to the other games, and some of that must be down to anxiety of failure.

the big cup final ! the one for the record books the one that they remember ! you can win ten junior League's or West of Scotland cups but no one remembers ! win this baby and no one forgets ! bet you most fans of both sides know all about the 92 final that Talbot won and a good few were there and i bet Glens would love to avenge that day ! Arthurlie avenged there defeat by Polok in the final so can the Glens manage to do that ? good luck to both lots ..

What absolute nonsense. So if ourselves or glens win the league nobody will ever remember it aye right you are!! It will be spoke about for years and years to come.

The junior cup is brilliant but what tells me truly that glens and talbot are good sides is how well they are doing in the league.

A wide selection of teams from every league can get to a junior cup quarter final or semi or final you can get lucky in the cup and only need to beat one or two good teams to win it, to win the top league you need to perform and win the vast majority of 22 games against good teams.

Hopefully it's a good game, nice weather and a big crowd. Think glens might sneak it this time.

The Scottish is THE National tournament with a rich History spanning more or less the entirety of organised Football and pre-dating the Superleague era by over a century. 

People can argue either way about what's harder to win ( it's purely subjective and it often seems to be based on which tournament their team is doing well in at the time) but winning the Scottish Cup is by far the more prominent and prestigious achievement.

Most folk in the West would struggle to rattle off the last half dozen or so East Superleague winners and vice versa (without Google),  they would be really stumped if you asked for the runners up (and good luck naming the north ones). Win the Scottish and far more people within and outwith the Juniors take notice. 

26 minutes ago, rednblack said:

What absolute nonsense. So if ourselves or glens win the league nobody will ever remember it aye right you are!! It will be spoke about for years and years to come.

The junior cup is brilliant but what tells me truly that glens and talbot are good sides is how well they are doing in the league.

A wide selection of teams from every league can get to a junior cup quarter final or semi or final you can get lucky in the cup and only need to beat one or two good teams to win it, to win the top league you need to perform and win the vast majority of 22 games against good teams.

Hopefully it's a good game, nice weather and a big crowd. Think glens might sneak it this time.

it wont you know . its a great thing to win the league a great thing indeed but in Junior football winning the Scottish is what makes you famous ask the Beith people ! they all came out for the cup final the whole town ! how many in Beith cared when they won the league outside of there core of there supporters in the town ? Also Talbot may still win the league ! dont count your chickens before they hatch or your Doo's for that matter lol

As a hypothetical aside - If Talbot win the league this Season and the Glens win the Scottish then Glenafton will have beat Talbot 3 times out of 3 over the big two tournaments. 

So the Glens would be Scottish champions, have beat Talbot convincingly in all meaningful head to heads, and probably only have lost the league by a whisker (perhaps even goal difference). But by applying the rigid and unflinching logic that the league is always best Talbot would have to be the best team!

Given the clear daftness of that conclusion I think it's best to judge these things season by season and put achievements in their broader context. 

It's the romance of the cup.Winning the scottish is a very prestigious achievement.It's country wide so all clubs know who won the trophy.Senior ground,large crowd,telly there,everybody's expectations are as high as a kite.It's a great day.

We won the league at Hurlford on a dry sunny  Wednesday night.Talbot needed a point to win the league so it was almost like a cup game. It was fantastic  don't get me wrong but completely different.Only league winners are called champions.Cup winners are as it says,winners.

1 hour ago, eamonn said:

it wont you know . its a great thing to win the league a great thing indeed but in Junior football winning the Scottish is what makes you famous ask the Beith people ! they all came out for the cup final the whole town ! how many in Beith cared when they won the league outside of there core of there supporters in the town ? Also Talbot may still win the league ! dont count your chickens before they hatch or your Doo's for that matter lol

It's very true-whole villages who week in week out don't get involved with or support their sides turn out and engage with the Scottish as it is the one junior fixture with prominence in Scotland.

Archived