Heart of Midlothian vs Partick Thistle

Enjoyed my day out in Gorgie at Tynecastle Park and came away thinking that a point was decent in the circumstances. Numerous Hearts misses, an unfamiliar Thistle line up and a first half that felt like a pre season friendly.  Andrew Dallas "I've got a big watch and I will use it" routine was quite amusing, as were Jamie Walker's various attempts to fall over in imaginative ways, sometimes miles from the ball.

However, Cathro has lost the fans.  The almost-silence for nigh on 40 minutes was unnerving (how do 14,000 people stay so quiet?), but the booing was loud and long at times.  It can't go on like this, surely?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Lawless had an excellent game. He's been more of a passenger this season than any I can remember previously, but he put in some shift yesterday, as well as providing a lovely cross for Doolan's goal and of course scoring himself.

Big Tam Cerny as well. One freak incident with the slip setting up the penalty, but another great performance overall. We're so lucky to have him. Still haven't seen the penalty shout itself, but considering the shocker of a game Dallas had in general, it wouldn't surprise me if it shouldn't have been one, and therefore in the process has possibly cost us 2 points.

Funny moment in the match came when the Hearts fans were getting on our backs about taking too long at throw-ins (I think this was at 2-1 up), and Elliott was about to take one in front of the dugout - Cathro had the ball at his feet, Elliott was coming over to get it, and Cathro then picked it up and rolled it to his own player about 20 feet away from where the throw-in was meant to be taken. Some lad, this Cathro, timewasting for the Jags. 8)

Wasn't there but just watched the 20 minute (!) highlights on jagzone. Fair to say Cerny kept us in that even if his mistake led to the penalty. Even assuming as a club feed the highlights are edited in our favour, Hearts had some amount of chances, mental they only scored one from open play.

Of course if Erskine makes it 2-0 when the 2 Hearts defenders decided to mark each other rather than him then maybe it's a different outcome.

Penalty is very harsh, hits Devine on the upper arm as he's half turning his back on the shot, if he meant to block that with his arm then I've got no worries with him as backup keeper if Cerny gets injured next season.

Looked as if McCarthy played more advanced of the midfield 3 which surprised me.

Can't see us finishing anywhere but 6th now, just hopeful we can turn in a performance next Sunday.

Cerny was fucking immense, dodgy kick out aside. The save he made with the back of his head from isma who was a yard out a personal favourite.

The absolute seethe from the hearts fans when he missed the one on one in the last minute also sweeeeet.

Not really acceptable dropping points once we pulled it back to 1-1 against 10 men but I actually quite enjoyed that yesterday it was an entertaining second half and going forward it's probably the best we've looked for ages up until the finishing.  Made enough chances to win two games, just need to hope we sign someone in the summer who can convert them.

Defensively we were an absolute horror show and Hamilton done well on a few occasions.  4th looks like it's gone, big summer window ahead for us.

27 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Scored enough goals to win two games

There's always room for improvement but moaning about our finishing is to bury the lead

This is now a defence so makeshift it's got Prince Buaben in it.

Thought Prince did well tbh. Am not convinced by Liam Smith though - his marking was all over the place for both goals.

Our misses were horrific. Isma should be putting these away with ease. Where the France where will we get a prolific striker?!

Just seen the penalty award again. Shocking. Device throws himself in front of the ball with his arm tucked behind his back to avoid handling it and the shot hits him on the elbow. There is no way that was deliberate. Even if you give a penalty on the basis that a goal was prevented (and you'd have to assume that Cerny wouldn't have saved it), it should never have been a second yellow and a sending off.

Just seen the penalty award again. Shocking. Device throws himself in front of the ball with his arm tucked behind his back to avoid handling it and the shot hits him on the elbow. There is no way that was deliberate. Even if you give a penalty on the basis that a goal was prevented (and you'd have to assume that Cerny wouldn't have saved it), it should never have been a second yellow and a sending off.

This kind of bollocks is what happens if you spend too long sharing a city with old firm fans.

2 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Thought Prince did well tbh. Am not convinced by Liam Smith though - his marking was all over the place for both goals.

Our misses were horrific. Isma should be putting these away with ease. Where the France where will we get a prolific striker?!

Thought Prince was probably our best player - only made one actual mistake in giving the ball away with a loose pass, which he got away with - not sure about his actual defending/marking as we were all over the place at the back at times.

As much as we did create chances, our final ball still has to be better - Choulay had umpteen opportunities to get crosses in, but very little came of it.

We should be hoovering up Boyce and/or Moult in the summer.

Hamilton is dog shit but we're stuck with him as net tender because Levein won't want to show how much of a c**t he made of the situation last year.

An entire new back four and midfield is needed as well.

3 hours ago, partick_twinny said:

Sorry but the penalty looks a stonewaller to me. Perhaps he has moved instinctively to protect his body but it is a clear movement of his arm towards the ball and he has hit it away with his forearm.

I think Archie's comments are spot on. That happens ten times and five are given as a penalty. It's just one of these things. 

8 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

What did Michael Stewart have to say?

He was just trying to argue with Thompson last night for the sake of it by saying it was a deliberate handball.

Clearly just on the wind up, because nobody in their right mind could actually think it was deliberate.

Archived