Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

15 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

I would absolutely love to be able to understand the thought process whereby you can decide that a woman who joined and has been a member of the Scottish National Party in 1986 - a full 28 years before becoming First Minister - that has been a proponent of Scottish Independence for at least 34 years, who was one of the most prominent members of the campaign team in 2014, and who has support for Scottish Independence at an all time high, isn't actually interested in Independence.

Not sure "Galaxy brain" quite covers that. The Yes Da's are some laugh.

We'll see exactly what's in her manifesto, not expecting much of a route map other than a shrug if Bawjaws says NAW. 

She's got power and £400k per annum to protect now that she didn't previously. 

But that won't be monumental to him as he'd already know the name of those he was less than gentlemanly towards, she's being told about her friend and idol, that day would live in my memory until dementia kicked in. 
The day the meeting and subject was arranged or the day he met her and set out the allegations to her? I know which one I'd remember more clearly.

12 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I fully accept that this is really important to some people but I'm sorry, I just couldn't care less to be quite honest.

Yes, let's ignore the rules when they don't suit is certainly how this appears to be getting played out.  At what point do you draw the line?  Reducing the standards expected of a government is not a path that we should choose to go down.

The attack line has definitely shifted, on the radio there its now that this committee is a busted flush and the real danger is the Hamilton findings.

They are correct, of course, but shows that Sturgeon was completely unscathed after yesterday.
If anyone gets criticised by Hamilton it is more likely to be Lesley Evans and not Sturgeon.

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Wait, so Nicola Sturgeon doesn’t want independence because she’s paid money to be FM? Is that it?

Will she not be paid money to be FM after independence?

Not if everyone that claims to be using the SNP as a means to indy vote for a different party. 

There is also the laughable notion, often voiced on here, that the SNP will dissapper after independence, much like Solidarity did in post-communist Poland in 1989! 🤔

Not if everyone that claims to be using the SNP as a means to indy vote for a different party. 
There is also the laughable notion, often voiced on here, that the SNP will dissapper after independence, much like Solidarity did in post-communist Poland in 1989! [emoji848]
Lech Walesa was President of Poland for five years after the restoration of Democracy. So she's got that to look forward to.

6 minutes ago, strichener said:

There is also the laughable notion, often voiced on here, that the SNP will dissapper after independence, much like Solidarity did in post-communist Poland in 1989! 🤔

“Better not achieve the primary political objective of my entire life in case I get voted out afterwards”

I’m not convinced. Because it’s an absolutely fucking insane notion.

6 minutes ago, strichener said:

I don't think anyone thinks that the SNP will just wind up the organisation and dissolve after independence. More that, once their primary purpose is achieved, people will assess their priorities and vote accordingly, so the SNP vote will drop and they'll have to reinvent themselves. Just like Farage has had to choose some other right-wing button-pushing issues to follow since Brexit.

Then again, when you look at the absolute mess that the Scottish Tories/Labour/Liberals are, it's probably more likely that people will just stop voting unless some new parties come along.

I think she's wilfully misremembering, there's nobody on here going to shift that, the fact that you feel the need to compare her to Salmond shows where you and many others stand on it, I'm not interested in defending anything Salmond did before all this kicked off. 
As you can tell though, I'm not a Sturgeon or SNP fan, they're not taking us a step nearer independence anytime soon. 
We had this discussion yesterday about taking notes from meetings - even when people agree you can get the record wrong due to the minute writer's own memory or view of events.

I've done it myself and had to correct minutes at a subsequent meeting just a week later.

Over 2 years ago the timelines will not be fresh in the memory or what exactly was said.

Margaret Mitchell in her desire to pursue Sturgeon on remembering proved the point by not remembering what she had said minutes before - and this was from a pre-prepared typed speech!!

19 minutes ago, strichener said:

Yes, let's ignore the rules when they don't suit is certainly how this appears to be getting played out.  At what point do you draw the line?  Reducing the standards expected of a government is not a path that we should choose to go down.

Well that's a fairly stupid characterisation of what I said.

Not all rules are the same and breaking of them doesn't and shouldn't carry the same consequences. If some appropriate authority decides that the meeting should have been government business rather than party business and that rule has been broken, fine. I'm not saying we should all pretend it wasn't because I'm an SNP voter. I'm saying I, personally, don't give a shit. I also wouldn't give a shit if this accusation was being thrown at any other political party.

I do wonder what the angry YES folk are going to do if it become clear that the SG do have a plan for forcing the independence issue, and if it starts to look like they might actually manage to do it.

I get the impression that some are so far gone that they'll find reasons to resent it regardless.

50 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

We'll see exactly what's in her manifesto, not expecting much of a route map other than a shrug if Bawjaws says NAW. 

She's got power and £400k per annum to protect now that she didn't previously. 

That's just a completely idiotic statement, NS (like many of her Tory and Labour counterparts), could quite easily walk away and have her pick of easy money jobs in the multi millions, whether that be board positions on multi nationals, guest speaking or Newspaper columns etc, not to mention a wee book deal here and there.

But No, instead She's working 16 hour days and having to put up with constant pish from the likes of Davidson etc..........

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I do wonder what the angry YES folk are going to do if it become clear that the SG do have a plan for forcing the independence issue, and if it starts to look like they might actually manage to do it.

I get the impression that some are so far gone that they'll find reasons to resent it regardless.

I get the impression some will be annoyed it's been won with a woman at the helm.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I get the impression some will be annoyed it's been won with a woman at the helm.

Jesus, imagine if a trans man/woman ended up leader  :blink:

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I have wondered if the likes of fake Rev Stu Campbell are actually unionists and that he has gone past the point of ever hoping for Independence and that hating the SNP is his number one target now.

I also wonder how many people regularly go onto Wings these days - is it the same 20/30 people posting anti-Sturgeon bile or are there genuinely large numbers.  I gave up on the site a long time ago as it's the most depressing place ever.

48 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:
2 hours ago, ayrmad said:
But that won't be monumental to him as he'd already know the name of those he was less than gentlemanly towards, she's being told about her friend and idol, that day would live in my memory until dementia kicked in. 

The day the meeting and subject was arranged or the day he met her and set out the allegations to her? I know which one I'd remember more clearly.

You'll remember what you're told.