Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

I would agree with this, apart from the Salmond "great reputation" part. He was always a p***k and OFTW.

I think after the 2014 vote, Salmons was viewed as a bit of a w****r but very charming and the best leader the SNP and Scotland had ever had. Couldn't appeal to as wide enough audience as most would have liked.

Since then, it's been one long fucking disaster into the abyss.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Angus is 1/1 so not much value on him.

I’d still take them, I think. I’m still raging that I forgot to get my dad to stick a line on for me about Detroit finishing ahead of the Bears when the British bookies were giving 2 and 3 on what I saw as being a stick-on. 

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Selfishly I would hope she could get into the EU or something similar to represent the indy voices where it matters.

Agreed. It’ll definitely be a ‘bigger picture’ gig she moves into, rather than gut barging with Chris McEleny in the back room of the bowling club. 

Shocked to hear the news about NS leaving but completely understand her reasoning. Eight years of smacking the press, Scottish Tories, Lib Dems and Labour around every week, Covid, Independence and the GRB has presumably taken its toll on her health. 

God only knows who the SNP will go for as the new leader, favourites obviously are Swinney, Yousaf and Forbes. Whoever gets the job has huge shoes to fill

I hold no skin in the game as I'm not a SNP voter. But she is one of the most competent politicians in the country just now.

The level of personal abuse she is subjected too is horrendous.

Mhairi Black is too young and early in her career to take over. Kate Forbes was muted to be the next in line but with a baby I can't see it. Angus Brendan too many past mistakes and horrible.

Most likely go to Angus Robertson.

4 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I hold no skin in the game as I'm not a SNP voter. But she is one of the most competent politicians in the country just now.

Mhairi Black is too young and early in her career to take over. Kate Forbes was muted to be the next in line but with a baby I can't see it. Angus Brendan too many past mistakes and horrible.

I think Kate Forbes is ambitious and I think she may be more popular with the electorate than Angus. I wouldn’t rule her out…

8 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Staying on as an MSP, I think she said. Although I don’t think she said how long for, so possibly just until the next election. 

6 minutes ago, renton said:

Going to the backbenches

Looking forward to the SNP wheeling her out once a fortnight to make Douglas Ross cry.

10 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I think Kate Forbes is ambitious and I think she may be more popular with the electorate than Angus. I wouldn’t rule her out…

She is, but like Black I don't think it's her time.

13 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Won't be Black, unless she can get her self an MSP gig. She'd have to have a deputy to lead in Holyrood and that was a look that didn't wear well on Murphy and Dugdale as proposed and would look ten times as grim for the SNP.

It'll come down to Forbes or Robertson. Robertson has the experience, Forbes the advantage of youth, in a movement who's adherents tend to be younger. If Forbes can convincingly show that her church leanings haven't made her an outright bigot then I wouldn't bet against her.

3 minutes ago, Iain said:

Is Kate Forbes still on maternity leave?

Aye, until end of July looking at the notice from last year. On the other hand, her maternity leave only covers her government position, not her party position? Imagine she could run, win then take over after the summer recess...

Watched the BBC for the speech. A touch of class from Coe Hamilton.

His anecdote about Sturgeon, I one saved my daughters life and Nicola congratulated me. Aye, a touching tribute to you…….HER! 

Normally these things are treated like a lap of honour and the kicking will come after but a few journalists went in two footed.