CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

On 7/27/2017 at 20:52, Glenconner said:

Still laugh at the guy getting chased up Main St after stealing one of the corner flags when the floodlights failed.

Don't know if this is the same game you're talking about - but I can remember (think it was 1983 / 84) we where playing Thistle in a Scottish Cup game & the floodlights failed, which in turn led to a mini pitch invasion & lots of scrapping on the terracing, think there where at least 1 replay & then we got hammered at Firhill

As I say it was a long time ago (I was still in my teens) so some of the above points could be a load of bollocks :lol:

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know if this is the same game you're talking about - but I can remember (think it was 1983 / 84) we where playing Thistle in a Scottish Cup game & the floodlights failed, which in turn led to a mini pitch invasion & lots of scrapping on the terracing, think there where at least 1 replay & then we got hammered at Firhill
As I say it was a long time ago (I was still in my teens) so some of the above points could be a load of bollocks [emoji38]

I tried to jump on to the track to avoid the crush after another charge by the "Thistle" fans. Policeman told me to get back into the terracing. I replied "After you". The bugger pushed me back into the melee.

Only a youth at the time and was terrified. I think that was the by far the worst trouble I've seen at or around a Clyde match. Absolutely mental!

Hearing over 100 names for the recent 200 fund raiser. Great way to support the club if your unable to make games or regularly. Chance of winning a very good cash prize aswell. Win/Win situation. Cmon guys lets push this and get us out this flaming league with the backing of clyde supporters as oppose to businessmen who pop in then disappear just as quick. Foreva n eva

Hearing over 100 names for the recent 200 fund raiser. Great way to support the club if your unable to make games or regularly. Chance of winning a very good cash prize aswell. Win/Win situation. Cmon guys lets push this and get us out this flaming league with the backing of clyde supporters as oppose to businessmen who pop in then disappear just as quick. Foreva n eva

Certainly is a great idea and some pay back with chance of winning a good prize pot

But just seen that the if you want to sponsor a player shirt it's 150 quid
Think the club have to watch here for me and only an opinion they are starting to rip the piss out if the fans
How about they get off their arses and bring in some external money if they can't then get some guys on the board that can ( rant over)

Mcdonald. Keans. Douglas . All did and then disappeared with two from three leaving us in the major shite. No thanks for me. Id rather be a 3rd div team running within our means than bust cause of chasing the dream or external factors....

No one person wanting control or holding a gun to our heads. Help if you can , Dont if your unable

5 hours ago, Neilly Hood said:

As I say it was a long time ago (I was still in my teens) so some of the above points could be a load of bollocks :lol:

Still see the big hairy trainer/assistant coach (McVeigh?) running up Brigton Main St after the guy.

Mcdonald. Keans. Douglas . All did and then disappeared with two from three leaving us in the major shite. No thanks for me. Id rather be a 3rd div team running within our means than bust cause of chasing the dream or external factors....

No one person wanting control or holding a gun to our heads. Help if you can , Dont if your unable

Who said benefactor? Local businesses, company sponsorships
As you say if your happy staying in the 3rd division running the club like a glorified bowling club then fair enough
All about opinions

13 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Can't go as nearly as much as I would love to - where can I find details, I would like to do my little bit extra to help our club ??

Thanks in advance.

17 hours ago, Neilly Hood said:

Christ, this is bringin back a lot of memories.  GC, think you'll find it was big Shug the groundsman :lol:

Thing about that cup tie, Thistle and Clyde were both in the old 1st Division, but they'd a really strong team.  Donald Park was in the  form of his life.  The first game at Firhill, it got to 1-1, and at some stage Thistle got a penalty.  IIRC Kenny Watson took it, Young saved it, the ref made him take it again and Young saved it again :thumsup2

Towards the end, Mo Johnston made it 2-1, so we're thinkin that's that.....until Flex turns up in the last minute and makes it 2-2.  Happy days

The replay you're talkin about, Radio Clyde's Park & Sanderson were commentating, and Thistle dominated early.  We stayed in it through effort more than anything else, but as it wore on Thistle ran out of ideas.  They also had old Colin Jackson from Rangers playin CH who was out on his feet by extra time, and if anythin it looked like we'd sneak it, then the fuckin lights go out.

Thing was, a few days later on the Saturday we had them again in the league at Shawfield, and lost 3-1.  The bubble had burst and then the replay a few nights later at Shawfield we were on the sore end of 6 of the best

It was similar to a game played about 3 or 4 years before that in the cup.  We had Thistle at Firhill, they were in the Premier and we were in the old 2nd, so massive underdogs.  We drew 2-2 up there, but lost 4-2 in the replay at Shawfield.  But in the replay, Tommy O'Neill hit this rocket from 25 yards top corner.  I think Rough just seen it last week, never mind got to it ! 

Still, we've handed them out a few spankings since then ;)   

1 hour ago, Johnny Däpp said:

Heard some cracking stories about Shug the groundsman! Does he still go to games? Not seen him in a year years. He swears more than I do :lol: 

If if it who I think it is he's fucking hilarious. No seen him in a while mind you. 

3 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Christ, this is bringin back a lot of memories.  GC, think you'll find it was big Shug the groundsman :lol:

Thing about that cup tie, Thistle and Clyde were both in the old 1st Division, but they'd a really strong team.  Donald Park was in the  form of his life.  The first game at Firhill, it got to 1-1, and at some stage Thistle got a penalty.  IIRC Kenny Watson took it, Young saved it, the ref made him take it again and Young saved it again :thumsup2

Towards the end, Mo Johnston made it 2-1, so we're thinkin that's that.....until Flex turns up in the last minute and makes it 2-2.  Happy days

The replay you're talkin about, Radio Clyde's Park & Sanderson were commentating, and Thistle dominated early.  We stayed in it through effort more than anything else, but as it wore on Thistle ran out of ideas.  They also had old Colin Jackson from Rangers playin CH who was out on his feet by extra time, and if anythin it looked like we'd sneak it, then the fuckin lights go out.

Thing was, a few days later on the Saturday we had them again in the league at Shawfield, and lost 3-1.  The bubble had burst and then the replay a few nights later at Shawfield we were on the sore end of 6 of the best

It was similar to a game played about 3 or 4 years before that in the cup.  We had Thistle at Firhill, they were in the Premier and we were in the old 2nd, so massive underdogs.  We drew 2-2 up there, but lost 4-2 in the replay at Shawfield.  But in the replay, Tommy O'Neill hit this rocket from 25 yards top corner.  I think Rough just seen it last week, never mind got to it ! 

Still, we've handed them out a few spankings since then ;)   

IIRC - the crowd was well over 5000 (bear in mind the early to mid 80's crowds where at an all time low) so that was viewed as a cracking crowd, what I remember most about the Shawfield game was that Thistle had an unusually large & rowdy support that night, mind you we had (not me as I was still in my teens) a good few lads that where well up for the scrap, as someone mentioned earlier it was pretty mental for a short time before plod stepped in.

On that subject the first time I ever encountered football casuals was (I think a pre-season friendly) against the all conquering Aberdeen team (1983 I think) - was totally weird seeing all these well dressed lads who where more interested in a scrap than the fitba :lol:

So that was three or four Clyde/Thistle games within a month of which i attended with two different pals at two of the games each. One which is now a Man Utd??? season ticket holder and the other is a serious cricket fan, he goes to Lords!!!

5 hours ago, Neilly Hood said:

IIRC - the crowd was well over 5000 (bear in mind the early to mid 80's crowds where at an all time low) so that was viewed as a cracking crowd, what I remember most about the Shawfield game was that Thistle had an unusually large & rowdy support that night, mind you we had (not me as I was still in my teens) a good few lads that where well up for the scrap, as someone mentioned earlier it was pretty mental for a short time before plod stepped in.

On that subject the first time I ever encountered football casuals was (I think a pre-season friendly) against the all conquering Aberdeen team (1983 I think) - was totally weird seeing all these well dressed lads who where more interested in a scrap than the fitba :lol:

Big Shug moved to the islands to emulate his hero......Sawny Bean :lol:

The crowds were pretty good in the early 80's in the first division, no as bad as made out, but aye, that night was exceptional

The whole area round there's being rebuilt. New Oatlands isn't far off now, new builds in Brigton, Ruglen's expanded......c'mon King y'auld shite, die ya b*****d 8)

And for the one millionth time for Sydney's benefit....IT'D BE KNOCKED DOON & REBUILT. That clear enough???? ;)

Archived