CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought we were supposed to be encouraging fans to come back so surely it should be good news if guys are coming back ,
Don't know why anybody would want to point out somebody coming back just because they are a bit high profile.

Thought we were supposed to be encouraging fans to come back so surely it should be good news if guys are coming back ,

Don't know why anybody would want to point out somebody coming back just because they are a bit high profile.

I think it's absolutely fine pointing out John Mason's return. He is a high profile fan who was taking the moral high ground with regards to Goodwillie's signing.

He was the one who chose to tweet his intention to boycott. No one forced him to do that.

I would suggest that he was jumping on the moral bandwagon when he thought it was politically advantageous.

He should be picked up on his hypocrisy.

After all, what has changed this season regarding Goodwillie?

First half? Santa Maria. Good response in the second. The fullbacks were blameless. Home is strong and aggressive. Happy with him. Stewart similar on the other side. The only plaudits the centre backs are due is for how they made up for their errors, which tells a story. Night and day comparison with Annan's big lads.

Midfield and forwards got their dig on in the second half. And that was it, really. We dug it out.

Putting that sort of team out consistently spells disaster though. Really weak in midfield. Big soft spot at the back.

If Annan had Stevenson take that free kick early doors, might've been different as they defended solidly in the first.

Take back what I said about Stevenson and Jenkins. Stevenson's a shadow; glimmers only.

The second half was considerably better than the first. A clearly concerted effort to try and pass the ball (with mixed success), getting McNiff to pick up the bigger Stevenson at goal-kicks etc, bringing on the wingers to try and stretch it when space was opening up. Still not a particularly great performance but I think we deserved to win in the end. Decent work from Smarticus at the second goal; just as well as he cost us the consolation. Just summed up how poor our first half tactics were; put the ball in the air and Watson is the best centre half about, on the deck he doesn't know which foot is which. 

I thought Stewart was our best outfield performer and unsurprisingly Cuddihy and Ramsay were better when we started to pass the ball a bit. Miller got around the pitch and his set pieces are worth a few goals a season. Flynn was completely anonymous, the only time Breslin headed the ball the way he was facing was at his goal, and Gormley threw in one of his shockers. Goodwillie was rubbish but took his goal well. Add a good centre half and there's a passable, if not great team in that squad.

It's important to mention the awful conditions but based on that game I'm confident we'll not finish behind that Annan side this season. Murphy was their best player and Smith threatened in behind but I for one am absolutely delighted that we don't have Ryan Stevenson rampaging about our midfield. He looked slow and completely disinterested. Desperately need more quality with their next few signings.

3 hours ago, Johnny Däpp said:

He should've just kept his mouth shut. Can't have a go at him for swallowing his pride and returning though. 

Personally don't think it's anything to do with him swallowing his pride, it was a cheap publicity stunt in the run up to the election. 

As said first half today was poor, second half better. Miller adds real grit in the midfield and his deliveries are superb.

Hard to judge given the conditions and the squad still gelling(the ones that haven't came from Annan).

Swinglehurst is still a dirty b*****d. 

We were awful first half. Defence was all over the place. Midfield almost as bad only Miller getting pass marks. Not much happening for our strikers either. Second half we improved but it still wasn't great. Luckily Annan aren't great up front. That worries me for the season as probably Annan will be one of the worst teams in the league. I think we may need to go to a back 5 to keep it tight at the back.

Mason is an MSP.

He wasn't up for re-election.

I didn't say he was.

However, having a MSP who has had tweets in the past that many thought were insulting to women may have been a concern to the party coming up to an election.

What better way to show your feminist credentials than to make a stand against a high profile "abuser of women". A stand that only lasted a couple of months (including the close season).

The defence is a real worry.
Breslin seems to mistime every header.
Holm, I thought was poor in the first half but improved in the second.

Something that isn't mentioned much is the poor linking between Goodwillie and Gormley. They seem to play as two individuals. I say this based on the friendlies as well as the end of last season.
When Osadolor came on, I think the link up play improved.

And finally, if we cannot teach Gormley how to control a ball, can we at least teach him how to jump. His first touch usually ends up with the ball 8 feet in the air.

Is centre half were Breslin normally plays?

Nicol and Lowdon both missing today and with Bradley on the bench at least have a few options to change the centre back pairing.

To me he looks like a right back all day long. Possibly he could play as a holding centre mid.

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Personally don't think it's anything to do with him swallowing his pride, it was a cheap publicity stunt in the run up to the election. 

Abject drivel!

John's decision to boycott was announced a full two weeks before the Tory woman declared the election, Incidentally, John was not a candidate in that election

However, your opinion is of great importance to us, pleas continue to hold.

I think it's absolutely fine pointing out John Mason's return. He is a high profile fan who was taking the moral high ground with regards to Goodwillie's signing.

He was the one who chose to tweet his intention to boycott. No one forced him to do that.

I would suggest that he was jumping on the moral bandwagon when he thought it was politically advantageous.

He should be picked up on his hypocrisy.

After all, what has changed this season regarding Goodwillie?

Hypocrisy and football fans where have you been from the start time ?

Give us peace, want to comment on the guys who boycotted games last year cause the team was crap ?

The guy is a Clyde fan great to see him back or do you want him banned for life or put him in the stocks on the half way line and pelted with rotten fruit.

Archived