The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

On 16/09/2020 at 22:18, Coventry Saint said:

We had more possession than Hibs on Saturday and lost by two more goals.

Statin' the bleedin obvious but there's possession & possession - when you're 2-0 up after 15 mins you can afford to let the other team fanny about with the ball.

2 hours ago, btb said:

Statin' the bleedin obvious but there's possession & possession - when you're 2-0 up after 15 mins you can afford to let the other team fanny about with the ball.

Well, true. But my point was about how ridiculous possession stats are in isolation, so I think we agree...

21 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Wonder if we will push on to get a LB after Taits red card

We are really struggling with Jim not knowing his best formation or players. We seem to play better with a 4231 but he seems determined to play with 2 upfront!

Nah we’ll put Foley there and destroy the midfield. 

I don’t know what Jim is thinking but his tombola  tactics and constant changing of shape and line ups is killing us. FFS Jim, pick one.

20 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Nah we’ll put Foley there and destroy the midfield. 

I don’t know what Jim is thinking but his tombola  tactics and constant changing of shape and line ups is killing us. FFS Jim, pick one.

Was just about to ask that. Is Jim changing players and tactics too much? Don’t see why the 11 from Wednesday had to change. Is he trying too hard? 

1 minute ago, aldo_j said:

Was just about to ask that. Is Jim changing players and tactics too much? Don’t see why the 11 from Wednesday had to change. Is he trying too hard? 

I just keep wondering what it must be like for the players in training? How do you get any sort of continuity in shape when he is constantly changing it. 

1 minute ago, Torfason said:

I just keep wondering what it must be like for the players in training? How do you get any sort of continuity in shape when he is constantly changing it. 

Yeah, especially given the short turnaround from the Celtic game. You’d think the same shape, just playing higher up the park, was the right approach. It’s not happening for Kyle at the moment, so shouldn’t be starting.

There is definitely a good team in that squad, the frustrating thing is that we can't keep a consistent back line (Shaugnessy and now Tait, both needless reds), Alnwick with covid and Goodwin fucking about with formations.

I said in the United thread, there was simply no excuse for not taking 3 points from a United side that looked rotten. We gifted them that.

I wonder if Tommy Wright being available will cause any chairmen to panic and pull the trigger?

Jim should be pretty safe but he still needs to stop tinkering as the board have backed him financially and will be bitterly disappointed with our form of late.

3 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I wonder if Tommy Wright being available will cause any chairmen to panic and pull the trigger?

Jim should be pretty safe but he still needs to stop tinkering as the board have backed him financially and will be bitterly disappointed with our form of late.

Not quite panic stations just yet. 

If it continues though,  I'd rather have Oran Kearney back now that the executioner(Scott) is nearly out the door.

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

I think part of Wright's agreement with Saints was that he wouldn't be able to take a new job until November.

For me we should stick to a 4-2-3-1 formation with McGrath playing behind Erwin and Connolly and McPherson on either side with Foley and Erhahon playing behind them.

McGrath is far, far better playing in the middle so why keep playing him as a winger? Cammy's energy, commitment and shooting are required.

Dump this 'play with two wingers' shite when neither McAllister or Morais and for this season so far, Durmas, can get a decent cross into the box and when they do Obika cannot win a header. Play through the middle of the park with players who are better in their natural positions and can support Erwin.

We have some decent players playing all over the place and some better players like Cammy not getting a start. Get it sorted Jim.

Rant over.

Been an absolute c'nt of a week or so, the result today tops it off.

Now we'll likely see Erhahon go in at left back unless we see a new signing come in, which disrupts the team again.

The enthusiasm I had at the start of the season is slowly being sucked away ( and not in a good way [emoji39] )

Nice words for Connolly, by the way: he looks dangerous. His only thought is beating his man and whipping low balls across. As long as we can get men into the box, he'll get a few assists this season.

Generally, though, such an odd game. We actually played pretty well, but there's something not quite right. Shankland took his goal well but he was allowed to find space (quite why Jon Obika was marking one of the league's better in-the-box strikers I don't know). The second goal came after we just couldn't get or keep the ball, and suffered a succession of brain farts in defence. 

Aside from those spells, and Tait's ridiculous and unnecessary challenge, we were actually decent. 

But something still isn't right. I'm really worried it's the endless tinkering. Goodwin just needs to calm the f**k down a bit.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 minute ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I really don’t want Erhahon to get moved from centre mid when he’s playing well. Trying to think of another options: maybe Fraser at left back and MacPherson at right back?

When's our next game? I think we'll sign someone. While losing Tait isn't as bad as losing Shaughnessy, surely we can't attempt to keep muddling through like this.

Also, when can Alnwick come back? Assuming he's symptomless and fit, of course.