The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

We all knew it was a very long shot that McGrath would extend his contract, shame but he's been good for us so I wish him well on his travels. When he was touted for a move in the Summer, that seemed to have fallen through, it was a clear indication that he'd be away this window. He could stay until the end of the season, unlikely though.

With all that in mind, and as Goodwin, like all of us, has seen this coming, I just hope he has a plan to counter his loss. To be fair to him, in past windows, Goodwin has been very clear as to what he wanted to do and who he wanted brought in. However, this time round, there doesn't seem to be that same focus coming from either him or the club. Understandable to an extent there are problems on and off the pitch for the club, both but noticeable.

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

We all knew it was a very long shot that McGrath would extend his contract, shame but he's been good for us so I wish him well on his travels. When he was touted for a move in the Summer, that seemed to have fallen through, it was a clear indication that he'd be away this window. He could stay until the end of the season, unlikely though.

With all that in mind, and as Goodwin, like all of us, has seen this coming, I just hope he has a plan to counter his loss. To be fair to him, in past windows, Goodwin has been very clear as to what he wanted to do and who he wanted brought in. However, this time round, there doesn't seem to be that same focus coming from either him or the club. Understandable to an extent there are problems on and off the pitch for the club, both but noticeable.

Goodwin has already said some fringe players would move on as they are unhappy at not getting a game. That we would have a smaller squad but would bring in experience in certain positions. As for McGrath I thought Kiltie was his replacement  ? 

26 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Goodwin has already said some fringe players would move on as they are unhappy at not getting a game. That we would have a smaller squad but would bring in experience in certain positions.

Sure, compare it to previous windows where Goodwin was far more direct.

26 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

As for McGrath I thought Kiltie was his replacement  ? 

I think Goodwin saw him when scouting Brophy and thought, 1) he'll be cheap, and 2) he'll do a job somewhere.

As it is, it's unsure whether either of those things have transpired.

6 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I’d not be arsed if we moved Kiltie on.

Also, lets get McAllister to f**k in this window.

Such a shame for him, and I have probably been more patient than most, but he's going to rock up on loan somewhere like Morton or Partick, IMO.

Nice set of results for us today, given that, as usual, we always need to hope others in and around us lose - due to the usual lack of ‘W’s in our own results column.

In regard to McGrath going, I genuinely could not care less. Not because I don’t like McGrath, but because I am now hardened to decades of clubs like ours being unable to keep anyone who shines, even briefly, for any longer than one or two seasons. The days of me seeing a Fitzpatrick, Money, or Somner in the stripes for a good while are gone, long gone.

I rack up every week, support the team, see someone like Hladky rack up in goal, and immediately know - he’ll be off. 

35 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Nice set of results for us today, given that, as usual, we always need to hope others in and around us lose - due to the usual lack of ‘W’s in our own results column.

In regard to McGrath going, I genuinely could not care less. Not because I don’t like McGrath, but because I am now hardened to decades of clubs like ours being unable to keep anyone who shines, even briefly, for any longer than one or two seasons. The days of me seeing a Fitzpatrick, Money, or Somner in the stripes for a good while are gone, long gone.

I rack up every week, support the team, see someone like Hladky rack up in goal, and immediately know - he’ll be off. 

Hladky can't get a game for Ipswich just now 

Just now, elvis said:

Hladky can't get a game for Ipswich just now 

Yup. Just knew though with his performances in goal for us, he would be offski in jig time. What happens after that is up in the air. Lewis Morgan for example, although he’s making more than a decent living from the game. I reckon every St Mirren fan who’s watched us for any length of time, can see a talented player turn out for us, and when they get a move, know in our gut if it’s the right move - for the player I mean. The John McGinn and Kenny McLean moves made sense as further stepping stones. 

McGrath is a class act and we should be playing to his strengths. Instead Jamie mostly watches the ball sail over his head to a wing back then watches it sail back again to our defence as the wing back loses out. We should be playing on the deck through the midfield. Any good performances this season have been when we played through McGrath and Ronan. But recent tactics mean we do not need a midfield. Great talent being wasted.

The fringe players in the squad have showed exactly why they are fringe players. 

Only a handful of players get pass marks from me for their contribution so far this season. 

I don't think we are the worst team in the league but given the run of fixtures, poor form, the covid issue could de-rail us even further depending how serious the matter is.

January is massive for a few clubs. Surely we won't be able to offload more duds to our direct competitors?

6 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I don't think we are the worst team in the league but given the run of fixtures, poor form, the covid issue could de-rail us even further depending how serious the matter is.

We're not, but if you read the St Johnstone thread, they are suffering identical problems to us. No surprise given we copied their set-up from last season pretty much exactly.

Problem is, they've got previous for turning it right round in the 2nd half of the season. I hope they don't manage it this year because then we could really be in trouble.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

We're not, but if you read the St Johnstone thread, they are suffering identical problems to us. No surprise given we copied their set-up from last season pretty much exactly.

Problem is, they've got previous for turning it right round in the 2nd half of the season. I hope they don't manage it this year because then we could really be in trouble.

What do you mean COULD BE.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I wouldn't worry about that.

Every other time in this situation we've been playing relatively well but either just not being able to add the final finish, or making stupid defensive mistakes.

This time we're just shit.

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

So have we to be fair.

13 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

The fringe players in the squad have showed exactly why they are fringe players. 

Only a handful of players get pass marks from me for their contribution so far this season. 

January is massive for a few clubs. Surely we won't be able to offload more duds to our direct competitors?

I doubt we will. As you say, the fringe players won’t move on to anything better - can’t see Denis, Erwin, Flynn, etc getting another top flight club. Someone may take a punt on Ethan purely based on potential, but that’s about it.

As most have said, our recruitment felt a bit flat this season. We signed three players from a club that was relegated…

26 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

I doubt we will. As you say, the fringe players won’t move on to anything better - can’t see Denis, Erwin, Flynn, etc getting another top flight club. Someone may take a punt on Ethan purely based on potential, but that’s about it.

As most have said, our recruitment felt a bit flat this season. We signed three players from a club that was relegated…

I think we should be picking the cream of the Irish league again, to be honest. Connor McCarthy and Jamie McGrath have been decent.