The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I seem to remember a league game at the beginning of last season v Aberdeen where Carson lost a couple of poor goals, and there was a similar reaction of fans shouting that he was nowhere near the level of Jak Alnwick. 
It’s a tad early to be writing players off after a couple of pre season kickabouts. 

18 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I seem to remember a league game at the beginning of last season v Aberdeen where Carson lost a couple of poor goals, and there was a similar reaction of fans shouting that he was nowhere near the level of Jak Alnwick. 
It’s a tad early to be writing players off after a couple of pre season kickabouts. 

Yeah that is fair comment. I think the concern is that Hemming has arrived on the back of a poor season at Kilmarnock.

Still; if the manager and GK coach think he’s good enough then we just have to trust them and give the boy as much backing as we can.

Confidence is a big part of goalkeeping and if all the fans are a bag of nerves about the keeper then it won’t help!

Also conscious that younger players will doubtless read social media posts about themselves, it’s human nature.

So I’m gonna pipe down about Hemming, give him every chance and all the backing I can.

And pray 😂

18 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

The big difference I feel is that the situation was out of club's hands. Alnwick was gone, Carson was the replacement.

I think if Carson was gone or injured, folk would be a bit more accepting of Hemming but unfortunately a lot of fans feel that we shouldn't really even be in the situation where he's needed at the club.

19 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Difference is Carson was a proven goalkeeper at this level. 

Again nothing against Hemmings but that's just a fact.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean from the rumours, it's Carson's overreaction but they are just that. Rumours.

That being said, it's one of those where you'd need to believe it can be hashed out. The fact is that Carson was at the training ground at least twice last week and still didn't make the match day squad which is not a good sign.

Could he possibly be injured 

1 hour ago, Div said:

Without wanting to give Random Guy any klout I do find it a bit strange that Robbo said last night he’s looking to bring another striker in.

We currently have eight players in the squad capable of playing up front.

Yet we had one injury yesterday which meant we played a 17 year old kid at LWB first half and a Centre Half there in the second half.

I don’t really mind Tanser but he’s frequently injured (and not particularly good at defending tbh).

Recruiting a LWB should be well above signing another striker in the priority list!

In all honesty the strikers we have had at the club prior to this season aren’t going to score the goals we need. I hope the new boys are good but with Ayunga out I do feel trying to get a couple out and an experienced striker in would undoubtedly help

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

We dont know Robinson is intent on replacing him as no one really knows what the situation is. I'd be absolutely stunned and disappointed if it was simply a case of Robbo looking to replace Carson on purely footballing reasons, I really doubt that is the case but unless ITK and this is all Robbo's doing I think that is not the situation at all.

I'm quite surprised that the media haven't been all over this situation.

Sounds like the type of story that they thrive upon.

Q. Where on earth could we find an experienced goalkeeper with a track record in the top flight to replace Trevor Carson?

A. Ipswich Town. Vaclav now 3rd choice 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Div said:

Q. Where on earth could we find an experienced goalkeeper with a track record in the top flight to replace Trevor Carson?

A. Ipswich Town. Vaclav now 3rd choice 🤷‍♂️

f**k it.

Bin Carson, Hemming, Urminsky and 14 of our strikers and bring him home!

The goalkeeper situation is worrying and I think that’s down the to the fact we have such a recent example in Dundee United, where most people would have said the outfield players were of a good enough standard to be nowhere near relegation, but the horrorshow between the posts dragged them down to such a level where the quality in other areas of the pitch couldn’t compensate for it. I know we got top 6 last year but the OF, Aberdeen, Hearts and possibly Hibs excepted, there is slim margins between the rest of the teams in the league. A shaky goalkeeper and a defence with their confidence shot to pieces could be the difference between 6th and 12th. 

Whilst I'm in this thread (and god willing I'll never have to be back), I saw St Mirren claiming they were "dominant" in the first half and seen a few supporters say the same.

Apart from the first 20, 25 minutes of the second half I felt like it was even or leaning towards us. Boyd was running a mock along the wing in the first half and we were controlling the game.

Start of the second half it was different with you lot controlling it and creating chances, then it slowly started to balance out before the penalty changed it all.

Were we watching the same game? I really did think St Mirren looked poor - and I say that as neutrally as I can.

22 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

A shaky goalkeeper and a defence with their confidence shot to pieces could be the difference between 6th and 12th. 

We only have 1 keeper, whos played 3 games above League One in his career, and 5 defenders, in our squad.

The 5 defenders contain 2 left backs who've barely played any games in 18 months, and a 36yo LCB whos legs seemed to completely go last season and who doesnt seen to even be appearing in pre-season training images.

You lot are absolutely miles away from having to worry about relegation when we're here.

10 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Whilst I'm in this thread (and god willing I'll never have to be back), I saw St Mirren claiming they were "dominant" in the first half and seen a few supporters say the same.

Apart from the first 20, 25 minutes of the second half I felt like it was even or leaning towards us. Boyd was running a mock along the wing in the first half and we were controlling the game.

Start of the second half it was different with you lot controlling it and creating chances, then it slowly started to balance out before the penalty changed it all.

Were we watching the same game? I really did think St Mirren looked poor - and I say that as neutrally as I can.

We were actually poorer against teams from a lower level last pre season in the league cup games. 

I read absolutely nothing into pre season games other than they are preparation for proper competitive games.

10 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

I only saw bits and pieces thanks to the abysmal stream but I did see the Morton keeper pull off three very good saves including a certain goal from O’Hara.

Olusanya also hit the bar when it was far easier to score.

I saw Morton hit the ball out of play under no pressure at all about a dozen times and come close with a free kick.

Didn’t see either goal as the stream was totally unwatchable last 20 minutes but seen them today.

Fair play on the win and all that but it was a fucking dreadful game of football and neither side were anything other than abject pish.

14 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Was he on left or right? If he was on left, Strain dealt easily with him.

If he was right then run amok is nonsense. Our LWB is a 17 year old winger who has never played there and defensively very naive. A good winger would have really hurt us down that flank but thankfully the guy playing on the right wasn't one.

42 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

The goalkeeper situation is worrying and I think that’s down the to the fact we have such a recent example in Dundee United, where most people would have said the outfield players were of a good enough standard to be nowhere near relegation, but the horrorshow between the posts dragged them down to such a level where the quality in other areas of the pitch couldn’t compensate for it. I know we got top 6 last year but the OF, Aberdeen, Hearts and possibly Hibs excepted, there is slim margins between the rest of the teams in the league. A shaky goalkeeper and a defence with their confidence shot to pieces could be the difference between 6th and 12th. 

It's a bit unfair to blame Utd's relegation on their keeper. The CB's were woeful regularly and their midfielders were shocking defensively... neither did they work well as a team. Hugely inconsistent too. Then the chaos of new managers...

And they never scored loads of goals overall either.

Perfect storm. 

Just now, medals said:

It's a bit unfair to blame Utd's relegation on their keeper. The CB's were woeful regularly and their midfielders were shocking defensively... neither did they work well as a team. Hugely inconsistent too. Then the chaos of new managers...

And they never scored loads of goals overall either.

Perfect storm. 

I can’t claim to be an expert on their squad last year but from what I seen of them it looked like they had the quality in attacking areas but were liable to ship a goal at any moment due to a goalkeeper and defence that had no confidence in the abilities of each other. Alkmaar away was a horror show and it continued into the league, then I think they chopped and changed GKs with no success. Guys like Levitt and McGrath shouldn’t be in a team getting automatically relegated, but I do agree their defence wouldn’t have filled me with confidence either. That’s a very black and white way of looking at it but I’m sure even some Dundee Utd fans believe a better ‘keeper could have been the difference between 12th and staying in the league. 

Pre season a bit like last year so far.

We give the younger lads a chance of "1st team action".

We don't have the full squad in.

We lose to lower league opposition.

We fans need to get a grip of reality.

So, in the next 3 weeks we will sign 3 others at least. Fitness will be better and the new players will begin to gel.

Just hope we start the cup and league well, cause then we will kick on.

Think Hearts and the Fakes haven't made any signings yet and most teams are looking for more squad players than we are.

Keep the faith - 6th again....