The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

You don't think Montrose treat it as an extension of pre-season? They definitely do and always have done.

I don’t buy into that logic. All the teams know that this is the competitive start to the season. There is prize money on offer that is vital at every level of the game.

St Mirren have fcuked this format up so many times it is embarrassing.

Our club have given the players massive backing with excellent facilities, training camps, sport science and physio. We even have a plastic pitch to prepare on for games like these. 

How many hours of training have Montrose managed compared with St Mirren since last season ended? Our players are full time professionals. Some of our squad are internationals. I don’t wish to get down on them but there really should be no excuse for that defeat. 

We take it. And hopefully move on. The frustrating thing is that these competitions provide clubs like ourselves the opportunity to go far in the tournament with an opportunity of a day out at Hampden. 

The players will have bonuses loaded in their favour for advancing in the cups. The revenue from prize money and commercial opportunities is vital.

I can take getting beat by lower league opposition once in a while. We all have our “Darvel Days”. That’s not a dig - it happens in football - it’s what makes the cup tournaments unique. I seem to remember as reigning holders of the Scottish Cup we were beaten first time back at home by Clydebank 3-0 in 1998.

A1C93730-8AAC-4039-8EFC-6ADCE8A8CDE0.thumb.jpeg.44ed0e4c19392b14b872956e3d792443.jpeg

After our LC win in 2013 our next game was away to QOTS. Lost in extra time. Team included past and future internationals. 

13A4EBF5-557F-437B-8572-5562BA0DD26C.thumb.jpeg.64591a0b4336458cec06672c7db9ea14.jpeg

I’m sure something similar happened to Morten in season 1922/23. Maybe one of our resident Inverclyde statisticians can explain how they fared.

Well done Montrose. You fully deserved your victory yesterday. Good luck for the rest of the season. 

Edited by Molotov

As an aside what I noticed on the thread when I first looked at it this morning was a period (from 1977-1986) in St Mirren’s history when we arguably had the best squads of players but they never won any major domestic honour.

One of life’s greatest mysteries. 

0BABBA23-D0E4-406E-906A-35F36A6D669A.thumb.jpeg.b38dbbd88a196851307c02de03fc6071.jpeg

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

The terrifying aspect is it's clearly been on Robinson's mind. He's mentioned it in interviews and we all hoped it was just loose talk. But no, we are facing the reality that we've brought one of the Irish league's most effective/impactful players with a view to possibly putting him at WB.

Pretty sure @RandomGuy. predicted it and was roundly mocked 🤣

McMenamin only played left wing back yesterday as we currently only have one other player in the squad who can play there, and he was injured.

Assume the thinking was that we should have dominated the ball and thus he would have spent a lot more time getting forward than having to defend 🤷‍♂️

The squad is still very much a work in progress and so I’m not going to panic just yet.

It was a major boot in the balls yesterday, no doubt about that, but put Tanser (or A.N Other left wing back) in there, two new strikers and McMenamin further up the pitch and we are a totally different proposition.

Im not adding Baccus into that equation as he will be off as soon as he’s fit.

We have lost to Ayr United, Morton and now Montrose. Feel for those who made the journey it's pathetic stuff Kiltie just about go a pass mark . All these strikers and we can't score against a team that shipped 3 goals in every friendly they have played . We just don't look up for it I don't get it. No way I'm coming up the road to watch us in this competition if you were a pundit you would mark that team down for relegation. Not good enough Saints. 

The biggest issues for me is not that we've used McMenamin to cover that position, but that we went into the game not able to field a team to fit the formation. This isn't a pre-season friendly, this was a competitive match, one that can bring prestige and finances to the club further into the competition. Tanser being injured should come as no surprise to fans, so it shouldn't be to Robinson. Small is now a memory, and no further news on a replacement,  while Fraser or Strain can play that role but both look uncomfortable when they do. 

I accept that when "push comes to shove" as it were, the perceived least worst option was McMenamin, but it clearly wasn't working. Yes, you have to factor in fitness, but does that not count for Montrose too? Are lower league teams all given a fifa-esque +10 to stamina for all games early in the season? Of course not, there is simply no excuse for us not to at least match Montrose.

I didn't see the game, only read people's reports so someone will need to confirm if he changed the formation when he made the subs.

The LC section is not dead, we can turn it around, but it means winning every game. Considering who else is in the group and considering many of these players helped the club become the 6th best in the country, that should not be out of our grasp, but it totally relies on the players showing some sort of fight and cohesiveness. We simply cannot have a repeat, and sadly I think we will.

What does this mean for the league? Nothing really, other than a cloud of negativity from the fans. If we bomb in the cup and bomb in early games of the league then that adds momentum to the negativity. That said, if we win the opening game, then our LC run will the same bitter sweet experience it seems to always be these days.

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

I don’t buy into that logic. All the teams know that this is the competitive start to the season. There is prize money on offer that is vital at every level of the game.

St Mirren have fcuked this format up so many times it is embarrassing.

Our club have given the players massive backing with excellent facilities, training camps, sport science and physio. We even have a plastic pitch to prepare on for games like these. 

How many hours of training have Montrose managed compared with St Mirren since last season ended? Our players are full time professionals. Some of our squad are internationals. I don’t wish to get down on them but there really should be no excuse for that defeat. 

We take it. And hopefully move on. The frustrating thing is that these competitions provide clubs like ourselves the opportunity to go far in the tournament with an opportunity of a day out at Hampden. 

The players will have bonuses loaded in their favour for advancing in the cups. The revenue from prize money and commercial opportunities is vital.

I can take getting beat by lower league opposition once in a while. We all have our “Darvel Days”. That’s not a dig - it happens in football - it’s what makes the cup tournaments unique. I seem to remember as reigning holders of the Scottish Cup we were beaten first time back at home by Clydebank 3-0 in 1998.

A1C93730-8AAC-4039-8EFC-6ADCE8A8CDE0.thumb.jpeg.44ed0e4c19392b14b872956e3d792443.jpeg

After our LC win in 2013 our next game was away to QOTS. Lost in extra time. Team included past and future internationals. 

13A4EBF5-557F-437B-8572-5562BA0DD26C.thumb.jpeg.64591a0b4336458cec06672c7db9ea14.jpeg

I’m sure something similar happened to Morten in season 1922/23. Maybe one of our resident Inverclyde statisticians can explain how they fared.

Well done Montrose. You fully deserved your victory yesterday. Good luck for the rest of the season. 

100% this!!!!

No idea where to start with that yesterday. Absolutely no creativity,  no pattern just the centre backs tippy tapping between themselves then shelling 50yard howitzers in the general direction of 2 strikers who were constantly out muscled by big defenders. No idea if Maldron is a finisher but he sure as hell isn't a target man ! Toyosi looked better in his 15m appearance than Msldron which is concerning. We need a left wing back, wasting Mcmenamin there is plain daft. That's 3 tried in 2 games and none convinced. The subs yesterday were plain baffling and the general lack of urgency seemed to be reflected by the bench with no real urging to get the ball down and play round / through them. It appears we basically chuck winning one of thec2 trophies we could actually win but ffs even with a few experiments we should be able to win these sort of games.

Wouldn't write off the League Cup just yet.

We will have a difficult game at home to Arbroath next weekend but if we win that, with all due respect to both Forfar and Cowdenbeath, we really should be finishing the group with 9 points.

1 hour ago, Div said:

McMenamin only played left wing back yesterday as we currently only have one other player in the squad who can play there, and he was injured.

Assume the thinking was that we should have dominated the ball and thus he would have spent a lot more time getting forward than having to defend 🤷‍♂️

The squad is still very much a work in progress and so I’m not going to panic just yet.

It was a major boot in the balls yesterday, no doubt about that, but put Tanser (or A.N Other left wing back) in there, two new strikers and McMenamin further up the pitch and we are a totally different proposition.

Im not adding Baccus into that equation as he will be off as soon as he’s fit.

It's a bit concerning if we have used budget without the necessary cover elsewhere on the park. Seems focus is up top though we can't even focus on getting a player in, for a position we are clearly short on. Tanser has never had a good run of fitness and in the games he has played he maybe gets pass marks for only half of them. We need to get that area of the park filled. Also, if strain continues his great form, what solid backup do we currently have in the squad other than Marcus Fraser or flynn?

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

You're still doing it. The League Cup format has f*ck all to do with a full time professional team turning up at a part time League One outfit and losing. Wish we'd have complained about the Scottish Cup format last season. 

It's too easy to look at a lower league team and say we should be beating them,did you watch the game David?
Sean Dillon,Michael Gardyne and Rory McAllister right down the spine of the gable endies made sure the saints never got it easy.
Gallagher and Dunne missing the midfield out with 40,50 yard passes to McMenamin out to the wing was a strange tactic especially when you have a big lump of wid up top to play off.

6 minutes ago, Bastian Pigclimber said:

I think the least worst option without a fit LWB would have been to play a back 4 with Taylor on the left and put McMenamin in his best position.

Yeah, slightly concerning that we’ve signed players that, on the face of it, would give us greater flexibility tactically. On the face of it, a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 made much more sense yesterday and actually play with some width. It sounds like McMenamin on the right, cutting in, with Strain overlapping would work well.

52 minutes ago, Div said:

Wouldn't write off the League Cup just yet.

We will have a difficult game at home to Arbroath next weekend but if we win that, with all due respect to both Forfar and Cowdenbeath, we really should be finishing the group with 9 points.

I mean surely this team should still qualify. Sad that we are now actually worried about a part time team at home 

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

You'd definitely need to be a qualified historian to comment on that.