The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I’m know I was in a bit of a minority but always thought Carson was a bit overrated. He was too short for a start and there were one or two goals he conceded that I didn’t think he was too clever with.

I’ve liked Hemming so far, had a great save on Sat from a Forfar free kick which I reckon  Carson wouldn’t have got too.

Hemming > Carson

Getting him off the wage bill and getting cash for him is great business. Dundee are, in effect, funding us to further strengthen our squad! 

As for Shaughnessy, jeez, we conceded a mountain of goals last season with him in the side. 

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Understandable folk saying that we are strengthening Dundee and weakening ourselves.

We aren't weakening ourselves at all though. Carson would not have been playing for us regardless of whether he was a St. Mirren player or not.

End of the day, he HAD to go. The window is slowly closing and if we have any chance of a full-time permanent replacement then it has too happen soon.

Good keeper, very good keeper in fact but a massive man-child.

Agree. A player who has stated he 'doesn't want to be there', it is better for squad morale that such player is moved on. He was a huge asset imo before all of this happened, though its time to look forward. A transfer fee give us an opportunity to maybe strengthen our hold on other areas of the park we need looked at.  I can't personally see us bringing in another goalie. Hemming was brought in to replace Carson and Urminsky played backup last season and should continue to do so this season.

End of the day if nobody else showed any interest at the fee we were wanting then we have to do what's right for the club.

£100K is the wage of another player so not to be sniffed at.

If I was a Dundee fan I'd be asking why they feel the need to have three goalkeepers though, all presumably on a decent wedge.

Up to them how they spend their money I guess!

There are probably question marks over Hearts, because of their ridiculous coaching set-up, and over Hibernian because Lee Johnson seems like a bit of a turd, but you'd still expect both of them to join Aberdeen and the other two in the top six come the end of matchday 33.

The other 7 clubs will be separated by very fine margins as usual I think. I can't see any team being totally cut adrift, apart from possibly St.Johnstone who don't look in a good way right now. Expect them to bring another few players in though and after that they probs won't be much worse off than the rest of us.

Can't rule out another top six challenge by us, but similarly can't completely reject the notion that we might be involved in the battle at the wrong end too.

I think we're undoubtedly stronger right now than we were at this point last season though. If you remember this time last year there were massive question marks over Ayunga, Carson and yes even Ryan Strain after their performances in the League Cup!

5 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Be interesting to see if he's ready to start when they play us given that he wont have trained with the squad at all until, probably, tomorrow at the earliest.

He’s been training with us for weeks, he’ll be ready to go.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

That is a shockingly bad decision, monumentally poor.

I cannot believe our management/board are genuinely that stupid.

What are they going to do with a player who does not want to be at the club what exactly do you expect the club to do ? Fully expect a left back to be signed now. 

Just now, SS77 said:

He’s been training with us for weeks, he’ll be ready to go.

I was thinking more about working formations/systems and with the other players as opposed to fitness. I'd be surprised if Carson starts on Saturday, if Legzdins (is he still their number 1?) performs well then he keeps his place. Maybe not.

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

I was thinking more about working formations/systems and with the other players as opposed to fitness. I'd be surprised if Carson starts on Saturday, if Legzdins (is he still their number 1?) performs well then he keeps his place. Maybe not.

Legzdins is not No1 - the incumbent is a young keeper on loan from Norwich.  

I wonder if this money could be used to bring in another CB? Fraser and Bolton are converted fullbacks, Taylor and Dunne are decent players but not massively solid, Gogic is a defensive mid and dwells on the ball a bit too much at CB for me. I think we could use a proper penalty box defender to replace Gal or Shaughnessy. I think we need that in the middle for a bit of balance. That's the bit that worries me this season.

Reality is, first and foremost we need a left back and a forward is in the pipeline. Before the window closes, if anyone unexpectedly leaves, such as Baccus, Strain or Ohara, then we will no doubt be needing to fill those voids too.

I think Gogic's versatility helps cover at the back if used primarily as a midfielder. 

51 minutes ago, GAD said:

I wonder if this money could be used to bring in another CB? Fraser and Bolton are converted fullbacks, Taylor and Dunne are decent players but not massively solid, Gogic is a defensive mid and dwells on the ball a bit too much at CB for me. I think we could use a proper penalty box defender to replace Gal or Shaughnessy. I think we need that in the middle for a bit of balance. That's the bit that worries me this season.

It will be a wing back that will come in.