The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

If I was an opposition manager I'd be much more worried about McCowan than Cameron. The only thing g keeping McCowan at our level is consistency because on his game he's sublime.

It was Cameron that got you 1 point on Saturday. 

Motherwell didn't seem that great either.

If you had told me at the end of last season that we would start this one with Hemming in goal and Olusanya front, and that we'd go to Hibs away and win the first game, I'd probably check you in for a mental health check.

Fair play to Robinson, that combination shouldn't work, both players were utter mince last season, but whatever he did he certainly got a performance out of them, and the rest of the team to be fair. I'm not sure if I'd want to run with that line up for too long but I am genuinely happy for Olusanya, he's been roundly dismissed - myself included in that.

Bit disappointing to lose the goals we did against Hibs, although that seems to be very much "our thing", and I do think Hemming was at fault for the first, but I wouldn't put all the blame on him, Doige's (?) pass took out three of our defenders and direct to le Fondre. The keeper didn't deal with a soft shot, but the player shouldn't have gotten into that position in the first place.

Overall, a welcome surprise start to the season as we move onto Dundee at home, which should be a fairly safe 3 points but you feel that one or both of Shaughnessy and Carson will be bitterly determined to make sure we get nothing.

49 minutes ago, Ric said:

If you had told me at the end of last season that we would start this one with Hemming in goal and Olusanya front, and that we'd go to Hibs away and win the first game, I'd probably check you in for a mental health check.

Fair play to Robinson, that combination shouldn't work, both players were utter mince last season, but whatever he did he certainly got a performance out of them, and the rest of the team to be fair. I'm not sure if I'd want to run with that line up for too long but I am genuinely happy for Olusanya, he's been roundly dismissed - myself included in that.

Bit disappointing to lose the goals we did against Hibs, although that seems to be very much "our thing", and I do think Hemming was at fault for the first, but I wouldn't put all the blame on him, Doige's (?) pass took out three of our defenders and direct to le Fondre. The keeper didn't deal with a soft shot, but the player shouldn't have gotten into that position in the first place.

Overall, a welcome surprise start to the season as we move onto Dundee at home, which should be a fairly safe 3 points but you feel that one or both of Shaughnessy and Carson will be bitterly determined to make sure we get nothing.

You need to get over Carson.  He's gone, and he really wasn't that spectacular anyway.

Hemming wasn't at fault for the goal.  La Fondre had the goal at his mercy, the perfect angle to choose where he was placing the shot, and he stroked it away well.  Unless you expect a keeper to cover every square foot of his goal when one on one, it seems entirely unreasonable to hold him responsible for conceding the goal.

2 minutes ago, Drooper said:

You need to get over Carson.  He's gone, and he really wasn't that spectacular anyway.

Hemming wasn't at fault for the goal.  La Fondre had the goal at his mercy, the perfect angle to choose where he was placing the shot, and he stroked it away well.  Unless you expect a keeper to cover every square foot of his goal when one on one, it seems entirely unreasonable to hold him responsible for conceding the goal.

I think Hemming set himself for the forward putting the laces through it but Le Fondre was cute and cushioned it into the corner. I'm more concerned about the equaliser, the fairly obvious ball back in seemed to put our defence all at sea. Taylor was in a terrible position when Doidge got to the cross.

3 minutes ago, Drooper said:

I felt he was slow at getting down for the shot mate, the guy didn’t exactly hit it with a lot of power either, I get it was in the corner but I thought he should of done better. 

Other than that i thought Hemming had a decent game and his distribution was good.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

I think Hemming set himself for the forward putting the laces through it but Le Fondre was cute and cushioned it into the corner. I'm more concerned about the equaliser, the fairly obvious ball back in seemed to put our defence all at sea. Taylor was in a terrible position when Doidge got to the cross.

Spot on.  The striker was at an ideal angle and had space and time to select how to put the ball away.

1 minute ago, McG said:

I felt he was slow at getting down for the shot mate, the guy didn’t exactly hit it with a lot of power either, I get it was in the corner but I thought he should of done better. 

Other than that i thought Hemming had a decent game and his distribution was good.

My reading was that he was slow to get down because he was hedging his bets in terms of where La Fondre was going to put the shot.  It was a very good counter-attacking move and he was left horribly exposed.

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Taylor seems to be getting a lot of heat for this, but he was there to put in a tackle right before this, whereas Gogic can be seen running around looking a bit lost through the entire passage of play. I don't think this was just one defender's mistake, in short.

23 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Taylor seems to be getting a lot of heat for this, but he was there to put in a tackle right before this, whereas Gogic can be seen running around looking a bit lost through the entire passage of play. I don't think this was just one defender's mistake, in short.

This^^^. Taylor could have got back up quicker after winning the 1st duel but Goga as he was with the other goal, totally unaware of the striker, leaving them in space.

I certainly do not blame Hemming for the first goal. Not only was the shot made with pinpoint accuracy there was a swerve on it.

My concern is the left hand side where both goals came from. This really is a weak area for us.

54 minutes ago, Drooper said:

What is there to "get over", he is an ex player playing against us, it's not some sort of manic obsession that I have about him that makes me think he will try his best to stop his previous team. That is pretty much a given, and I really don't know why you are highlighting it as if it's weird. The same goes for Shaughnessy, as it did McGowan when he went there.

As for your reading of the le Fondre goal, go look at it again, Hemming was at fault. He was badly placed, something Div posted, and as a result did not get down to a shot that almost trickled into the goal. The point you seem to be missing is that I am not blaming Hemming for the goal, yes he was at fault, but the actual blame comes from the defending and that pass that split them. The foremost issue is that le Fondre found himself in that position with little defenders in his way, but that wasn't the only issue.

5 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I certainly do not blame Hemming for the first goal. Not only was the shot made with pinpoint accuracy there was a swerve on it.

He should have been positioned better and his inexperience expected a blaster rather than a trickle. He should have been able to stop that and didn't. What I think people assume here is that I am chastising him solely. Not at all, the fault as I said above is from the defence not the keeper. The keeper absolutely should have done better, but you cannot blame the keeper for finding themselves in a position caused by his defence.

Edit: I have to make it really (REALLY!) clear here, yes I have been critical of us brining Hemming in as #1, but he's here now and that's just the way it is. I am not intentionally choosing to represent him unfairly. Almost every pundit making a comment on the first goal said he "perhaps could have done better". Please do not think this is some irrational dislike for the player.

Edited by Ric