The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

The real thing to focus on is that this was potentially a very unsettling issue, the likes of which could easily cause problems in a squad like ours. But it's been handled brilliantly by the club and our management. Carson is out the door, we got money for him, and we've started the season well.

Robinson really is doing a tremendous job.

35 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

After the game, to let traffic die down (mostly the feckin’ Govan traffic), I wandered around the stadium. If I had encountered Trevor Carson coming out the ground, I’d have said something like ‘all the best, you were a good keeper for us’, and went on my way. 

Really?  Why would you bother saying anything to him?  If you had encountered him do you think he would have said anything to you? 
He’s history, forget about him. 

11 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Really?  Why would you bother saying anything to him?  If you had encountered him do you think he would have said anything to you? 
He’s history, forget about him. 

I bumped into Ally McCoist once, had a word with him. Also bumped into Donnie Munro from Runrig at a Lou Reed concert in Edinburgh once. Alex Lifeson & Geddy Lee from Rush too. Bono - met him once. 

Gave them all dug’s abuse. Fcukers are lucky Twitter hadn’t been invented, that’s all I’m saying. 🤪

I think you get the point. I wouldn’t chase him down the street if I saw him, just saying if I’d bumped into him outside the ground or something, I certainly wouldn’t have started booing again, or worse. Jesus, I’m not suggesting I’d want a selfie or an autograph, or an in-depth discussion about the situation in Ukraine… FFS, would just say something in passing should our paths have crossed in that brief ‘say something’ way. You never know when those moments may arise, do you Bono. 😎

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

When Carson ran out the tunnel, I booed. Thousands of home fans booed. I turned to the guy who sits a couple of seats away from me who was loudly booing, and said ‘when does the pantomime booing stop’. He reckoned until he runs towards the South Stand at the start of the second half.

After the game, to let traffic die down (mostly the feckin’ Govan traffic), I wandered around the stadium. If I had encountered Trevor Carson coming out the ground, I’d have said something like ‘all the best, you were a good keeper for us’, and went on my way. The thought of abusing a player either in person or online simply doesn’t enter my brain. It’s because I’m not a braindead p***k who understands common decency. If I’d bumped into prime time Scott Brown out on a street, I’d have said, ‘wish we had you in our team’ or something.

The pantomime booing is where my line in the sand is drawn. Anyone stepping over the line into personal / sustained abuse needs a word with themselves.

All very reasonable. I certainly wouldn't be abusing someone in the street, either. But what 'abuse' has Carson suffered, exactly? Is tagging him to a music video of Live it Up abuse? What about a pic of him with cartoon tears? Or a meme of his sad face after conceding a goal? To me that's all fairly benign stuff, which I found quite amusing. It's designed to wind him up, but there's nothing cruel or nasty about it.

I think folk are honestly a bit over-sensitive these days, if that's considered abuse, or they've lived sheltered lives.

Anyway, on to Motherwell! Why have we sold so few tickets?

To me the cup competitions are more exciting than the league, as it's one tournament we can actually win. Beat Motherwell and we're one game away from a Hamden semi-final, after all. If the cheeks draw each other in the next round, there's a realistic possibility of us getting to the final and we can beat anybody on our day.

Tickets are reasonably priced at £18, so what's the problem? 

1 minute ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Anyway, on to Motherwell! Why have we sold so few tickets?

To me the cup competitions are more exciting than the league, as it's one tournament we can actually win. Beat Motherwell and we're one game away from a Hamden semi-final, after all. If the cheeks draw each other in the next round, there's a realistic possibility of us getting to the final and we can beat anybody on our day.

Tickets are reasonably priced at £18, so what's the problem? 

Ah it’s only Tuesday! I’ll be there but hadn’t even thought about buying my ticket yet. Should be a decent crowd I think. 

18 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Is this him bullshitting again? 😂.

No cover for one of our most injury prone players in such a key area seems risky.

Or are we about to sell Strain and use the funds to replace him, sign a left sided player and the target man striker?

Absolutely no way that's true.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

The tweet takes you to a redirect which in turn takes you to their live transfer feed, which in turn is just this..

8JkTjep.png

No need for anyone to use the link now.

That's not a dig at you sn1f, just no need to give those c***s any click-throughs.

As for his comments? Meh... who knows?

I still feel the team is unbalanced, and the worry is losing Baccus or Strain right before the window shuts. Thing is, we're getting results and none of us are entirely sure what formation we'll be playing this season.

Would it be nice to have new faces in? Of course.

No cover for one of our most injury prone players in such a key area seems risky.

Or are we about to sell Strain and use the funds to replace him, sign a left sided player and the target man striker?

Classic Robinson. 

Lets play the game then!

So who does he want to leave?

Not likely Strain or Baccus unless it's big money.

So is it Tanser, Greive or who?

Cause the squad is still light and we've offloaded most of the biggest wages already.

(Carson, Joe, Main, Tait, Gallagher,  Brophy, plus others like Watt, Henderson, Small and the younger lads away on loan).

6 minutes ago, medals said:

Lets play the game then!

So who does he want to leave?

Not likely Strain or Baccus unless it's big money.

So is it Tanser, Greive or who?

Cause the squad is still light and we've offloaded most of the biggest wages already.

(Carson, Joe, Main, Tait, Gallagher,  Brophy, plus others like Watt, Henderson, Small and the younger lads away on loan).

He’s talking nonsense. He does it all the time, we have money.

Once again, a football manager is not going to be honest with the press about how much he has left to spend in the transfer fund.

It would be the dumbest busiess move ever to say "We've loads of cash to splash before the widow slams shut".

No manager is ever going to plead anoything other than poverty.

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Think he,s subtly letting agents  know that we haven't got money to throw away . I still think we need four in to give us a decent squad fto have a go at top four .

Think he's also sending a message to the squad - no big wage increases.

I'm not sure but think a number of contracts are up at the end of the season.

Hemming (loan), Dunne, Strain, Bolton, Flynn, Tanser, Gogic, Baccus, Ayunga, Toyosi, Jaimieson, and Stav (loan).

That's a full team plus a sub. You'd think 1 or 2 might get offered another contract though?

I might be wrong with some of these and even missed some. Please feel free to ammend.

Edited by medals