The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, Marko van Haddock said:

Thierry Small has been recalled by Southampton. 

Don’t blame them. Waste of time him being here. I’m pretty sure lending clubs don’t want their players to be bit part and given Robbo already knew the player and what he was capable of, I’m not sure why he resigned him if he didn’t really intend playing him. 🤷‍♂️

I reckon you should only really take a loan player if you are pretty certain he’s going to be a starter more often than not. 

Think he might have been the main backup to Scotty Tanser. Unlucky for him that Tanser has been fit and playing very well. Correct decision to recall him, as he badly needs games to show what he can do.

9 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Think he might have been the main backup to Scotty Tanser. Unlucky for him that Tanser has been fit and playing very well. Correct decision to recall him, as he badly needs games to show what he can do.

https://theathletic.com/3997280/2023/07/07/thierry-small-southampton-transfer/

article from back in the summer. He needs games and has the raw ingredients to be a player, but there’s definitely something around his discipline (tactically and getting sent off twice!).

The recall is understandable. Tanser has been brilliant and part of that i think has been the knowledge that Small would take his place if he didnt perform. Im guessing maybe Taylor will be the cover for that position now. No idea how much of Smalls wages we were covering but it should be a little bit back in the pot

43 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Don’t blame them. Waste of time him being here. I’m pretty sure lending clubs don’t want their players to be bit part and given Robbo already knew the player and what he was capable of, I’m not sure why he resigned him if he didn’t really intend playing him. 🤷‍♂️

I reckon you should only really take a loan player if you are pretty certain he’s going to be a starter more often than not. 

Robinson singled out Thierry Small last night in his after match interview saying that having such a good player at the club meant that Tanser had to play to the highest standard to keep his place in the team.....my gut feeling is that he already knew he was on his way out and was thanking/praising him for his time here.

52 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Anything but, as others have already pointed out.

I'd imagine we'll sign another similar player to cover for Tanser and keep the pressure on.

Unless of course we have an unknown talent of our own that is ready to fill in when required.

Offord recalled.

Maybe he's going elsewhere but if he's staying, you'd imagine one of our other forwards is going because we were already well stocked in that area.

Forgot it could also be because they're financially screwed and can't afford what they were paying of his wages.

Edited by Stu

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Offord recalled.

Maybe he's going elsewhere but if he's staying, you'd imagine one of our other forwards is going because we were already well stocked in that area.

2 goals in 18 apps according to TransfrMarket, I still think he could be staying for backup as you said too offload a striker on bigger wages

15 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Anything but, as others have already pointed out.

I'd imagine we'll sign another similar player to cover for Tanser and keep the pressure on.

Unless of course we have an unknown talent of our own that is ready to fill in when required.

Yes but my point is that it shouldn’t be a loan player. It’s a waste of time a loan player (whose parent club wants them to get game time) coming to us to sit on our bench. We may well bring in cover for Tanser but I believe it should be our own player and not a loanee. 

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yes but my point is that it shouldn’t be a loan player. It’s a waste of time a loan player (whose parent club wants them to get game time) coming to us to sit on our bench. We may well bring in cover for Tanser but I believe it should be our own player and not a loanee. 

What difference does it make if it's a loan player or not?

20 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

It might not please the club that loans us the players, but in this case it suited us quite well.

In an ideal world, I see where you're coming from.

Although, I'm sure Foyle and Robinson know way better than us what benefits the club in terms of financial outlay and in terms of whether cover is a loan player, an U-19 player or a permanent signing.

Think Elvis will be our first choice RWB after the break allowing Fraser to move back to RCB.

He can also cover for Tanser if he's injured/suspended.

Sounds like Strain is going to be out for the majority of the season going by Robbo's post match comments last night but I think with Fraser providing the cover option there we won't see us rushing to bring in another Wing Back.

Offord coming back is a strange one but I imagine he'll go out somewhere else, he's maybe been recalled because Edinburgh are getting hammered every week and/or as Stu suggests maybe they can't afford his wage percentage.

Wouldn't be surprised if Aberdeen offered Baccus a PCA and if he was to agree that then the inevitable cash bid to spring him early will come in.

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Tbf some clubs will just want a player being involved in match days and/or going out the "safety zone" of youth football with friends. Theres probably an age limit to that though, and at 19 Small is probably further towards the "game time" part of the scale?

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Going by the comments Charlie Adam made, young EPL players don’t see our league as being above league 2, so getting players good enough to start every week is a challenge, so squad fillers become a more viable option.

35 minutes ago, Div said:

Think Elvis will be our first choice RWB after the break allowing Fraser to move back to RCB.

He can also cover for Tanser if he's injured/suspended.

Sounds like Strain is going to be out for the majority of the season going by Robbo's post match comments last night but I think with Fraser providing the cover option there we won't see us rushing to bring in another Wing Back.

Offord coming back is a strange one but I imagine he'll go out somewhere else, he's maybe been recalled because Edinburgh are getting hammered every week and/or as Stu suggests maybe they can't afford his wage percentage.

Wouldn't be surprised if Aberdeen offered Baccus a PCA and if he was to agree that then the inevitable cash bid to spring him early will come in.

Elvis at RWB should be the natural choice but I think Bolton should retain his place also. We look more solid when he is in defence. 

21 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Elvis at RWB should be the natural choice but I think Bolton should retain his place also. We look more solid when he is in defence. 

Bolton looking like a solid defender the last few games.

3 hours ago, Mac28 said:

2 goals in 18 apps according to TransfrMarket, I still think he could be staying for backup as you said too offload a striker on bigger wages

2 hours ago, Div said:

It's not that surprising really, Offord has been playing at wing back and central mid for Edinburgh in more than a few of their games which I'm sure has been noticed and hasn't gone down too well if we're trying to develop the lad as a centre forward.

3 hours ago, GAD said:

What difference does it make if it's a loan player or not?

I think I’ve made it quite clear what difference it makes. If you don’t agree with me that’s fine, but only an idiot wouldn’t understand what I’m getting at. 
You’re not an idiot though because I know you knew what I meant. Which makes you a smart arse. 😁

36 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It's not that surprising really, Offord has been playing at wing back and central mid for Edinburgh in more than a few of their games which I'm sure has been noticed and hasn't gone down too well if we're trying to develop the lad as a centre forward.

Or: we need a centre mid... 😂