The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

52 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Thought McMenamin was really good tonight, I was pretty critical of him at half time on Saturday but the 2nd half Saturday and all game today he has been really good. Season ending at wrong time for him. 

Good for Scott to get a goal and just put that to bed. Still doesn't look match fit but I was delighted for him. 

Scott doesn't just look slow, he looks incapable of running. I'm not 100% convinced a pre season is going to resolve that. Hopefully Robbo works his magic on him but he definitely needs to.

A couple of things stood out tonight. Taylor must start - offers so much going forward and can pass a ball. And McMenamin offers far more on the left than on the right.

(Weird tonight that we started with Elvis and Conor on the right when they are both left footed. The ball constantly went inside and severely limited our options.)

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Scott doesn't just look slow, he looks incapable of running. I'm not 100% convinced a pre season is going to resolve that. Hopefully Robbo works his magic on him but he definitely needs to.

Totally agree. Goal aside I am just not sold on him yet. 

McMenamin is beginning to look the part. 

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

A couple of things stood out tonight. Taylor must start 

Damn I so wish I could agree with you.  For weeks I’ve struggled to understand why Fraser was playing left centre back to accommodate Bolton. Surely Taylor should be in there. 

Tonight Richard wasn’t great; caught on the wrong side too often, not great decision making. One great block. 

Surprisingly the defence looked safer when Fraser came on. 

Hopefully this was a blip. I really hope Richard Taylor will be our starting LCB next season but tonight he wasn’t on it. 

5 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Apart for him making the mistake that led to an unnecessary corner being conceded which led to Shankland's goal.

6 hours ago, NorthBank said:

A couple of things stood out tonight. Taylor must start - offers so much going forward and can pass a ball. And McMenamin offers far more on the left than on the right.

(Weird tonight that we started with Elvis and Conor on the right when they are both left footed. The ball constantly went inside and severely limited our options.)

Robinson had said a few weeks back he had shifted Fraser across to the left side of the defence because the stats showed he made less mistakes there. Whether that is relevant in regard to Bwomono and McMenamin who knows, Bwomono was a fairly late sub so perhaps that was just a case of 'needs must'.

7 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I'm really happy he's finding the net, irrespective if he becomes a much better player or not "after a full pre-season". However, I sort of harbour similar thoughts. It's less that he looks like he is unfit, more that he doesn't look like he has pace hidden away somewhere. Thing is, I took relatively little interest to Scott when he was with Motherwell so have no idea if he originally had pace in the first place. I'm not against someone who isn't the fastest although mobile strikers who work hard does seem to be Robinson's MO.

5 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Damn I so wish I could agree with you.  For weeks I’ve struggled to understand why Fraser was playing left centre back to accommodate Bolton. Surely Taylor should be in there. 

Tonight Richard wasn’t great; caught on the wrong side too often, not great decision making. One great block. 

Hopefully this was a blip. I really hope Richard Taylor will be our starting LCB next season but tonight he wasn’t on it. 

Amazing how we see things differently. Aside from a shaky first half hour, I thought Taylor played very well and Fraser was poor when he came on.

It's interesting Scott is the immediate talking point after a game where he scored and generally played well until he got subbed. The boo boys have really got it in for him and unfortunately looks like they are not going to give an inch in the relentless criticism. Why these guys need a player like that to target and try and drive out the club every season I don't know, but it's pretty sad tbh. At least they've moved on from McMenamin a bit now I suppose.

Just now, GAD said:

It's interesting Scott is the immediate talking point after a game where he scored and generally played well until he got subbed. The boo boys have really got it in for him and unfortunately looks like they are not going to give an inch in the relentless criticism. Why these guys need a player like that to target and try and drive out the club every season I don't know, but it's pretty sad tbh. At least they've moved on from McMenamin a bit now I suppose.

Scott was absolutely fine last night. He started off really rapid even taking the goal out of it but looked burst after about 35 minutes. 

I assumed he knew he was getting a half and hooked so was surprised he made it to the hour.

He does look very short of confidence though, almost fearful of being tackled at times. There's 100% a player in there and the grumblings were funny. If last night wasn't a good night to start him and get minutes in his legs, when is? 

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

I hope you aren't including my post as part of the "relentless criticism", I merely pointed out he doesn't look like he has pace waiting to be unlocked by a full pre-season. Hardly a damning indictment of the player.

9 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Where’s he off to now? 

Bookies have him favourite. Hibs forum he is also favourite. Unless of course McInnes comes out and say he is staying at Killie thus far he has not. 

6 minutes ago, GAD said:

I'm as far removed from a "boo boy" as you could get, I'm simply saying what I see. Yes he scored, great and I'm in no way faulting his effort but to me he looks to have some physical issue preventing him running full stop.  It's not a lack of pace, he looks to be incapable of running at all. Several times in the 1st half last night he took the ball in, nice wee touch inside the opponent and decent lay off and then with a big space to run into behind the defender he just made no attempt to do that. Maybe it was tactical but I doubt it when playing as a wide forward.  

It's totally possible to criticise without being a boo boy.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I'm as far removed from a "boo boy" as you could get, I'm simply saying what I see. Yes he scored, great and I'm in no way faulting his effort but to me he looks to have some physical issue preventing him running full stop.  It's not a lack of pace, he looks to be incapable of running at all. Several times in the 1st half last night he took the ball in, nice wee touch inside the opponent and decent lay off and then with a big space to run into behind the defender he just made no attempt to do that. Maybe it was tactical but I doubt it when playing as a wide forward.  

It's totally possible to criticise without being a boo boy.

I dunno, I thought it did look like fitness. It certainly wasn't the same as, for example, Kyle McAllister, where you could see the discomfort his back issues were causing him. 

I saw enough last night to be confident he will come good. Some nice touches, decent goal, and starting to understand the system, but short of fitness and confidence. Which we knew about already.

I predict that by December we'll consider ourselves lucky to have him. 

34 minutes ago, GAD said:

Why these guys need a player like that to target and try and drive out the club every season I don't know, but it's pretty sad tbh. 

I think a lot of people just like to say 'I told you so'. There were a few folk that weren't impressed when he signed due to his time at Hibs and Exeter, the fact that he's not set the heather alight makes them feel like they know what they're talking about.

I thought he was ok last night, took his goal well and forced a good save from Gordon early on. 

I thought everyone in our team did fine last night. Maybe too many sideways / backwards passes at times (very much like the Killie game), but everyone got on the ball at times and there were no failures in my book. Baccus was excellent I thought. As that was the last home game of the season, then my verdict is in - Mandron, for all his shortcomings, has been a good signing. 

Bring on the Sellik. 😜

42 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Mandron, for all his shortcomings, has been a good signing.

I was a bit nonplussed with Mandron coming in, I honestly thought he'd be a bit part player with Ayunga stepping on from his excellent debut season. He's hardly what you'd call prolific, but I think he's been a very decent addition and if we can get a sizeable wedge if he moves on I'll certainly not complain. Would be nice if he scored more goals, but tell me a striker who you couldn't say that about.

With Scott is looks like a confidence thing, more than a fitness issue. He took the safe option quite a few times and had opportunities to be more direct, but turned back.

That’s definitely something Robinson can fix and confident he will do. If he gets it right, Scott could be massively important for us next year.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Amazing how we see things differently. Aside from a shaky first half hour, I thought Taylor played very well and Fraser was poor when he came on.

I thought Taylor was posted missing for Hearts first goal. Apart from that he played well. He can certainly offer more going forward.