The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

5 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Good season, some great games, some stellar individual and team performances but I have to say, some of the get up on show at the player of the year awards looks questionable.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7L94PuqKlt/?img_index=1

Hope someone remember to thank the diddyness of the 2 big clubs called Aberdeen and Hibs this season, allowing us to remain undefeated against them in the league, and allowing us to gain 14 points from them assisting us to finish 5th in the league. 

Posted (edited)

Robbo 6/4 favourite (ahead of David Gray at 2/1) for the Hibs job now 🙄 hopefully a load of shite. 

Edit to add: Mcbookie has him a 12/1 outsider 🤷

Edited by saintmurn

33 minutes ago, saintmurn said:

Mad how different the odds are but I'd trust Mcbookie more than gambling.com

Screenshot_20240520_194204_com.android.chrome.jpg

There is absolutely zero chance that Robinson, or any of the other experienced managers on that list, will take the job when Malky feckin Mackay is their boss. It'll either be Gray or a young upcoming manager like McCabe.

40 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Screenshot_20240520_193816_Facebook.jpg

I still have a feeling Zach may be back next season, but i guess it depends on Middlesbrough. Hopefully a permanent deal though, there is a fragility about having a keeper on loan in case they are recalled.

I work with a number of Boro fans and they've all said they can't see any way he ever gets a game for them. Just too far down the pecking order. 

I don't think they'll be hard to deal with, but I also don't think we should be paying a fee for him.

43 minutes ago, Hendo said:

There is absolutely zero chance that Robinson, or any of the other experienced managers on that list, will take the job when Malky feckin Mackay is their boss. It'll either be Gray or a young upcoming manager like McCabe.

Even without Mackay there both McInnes and Robinson would be off their heads to take the Hibs job at the moment. They're a bigger club but they're also an utter shambles.

On another note, I'm amazed Baccus stayed with us for his full contract. I thought after the first or second time I saw him play there wasn't a hope we would keep him and can't believe no one took a punt on him. Not even as if we were holding out for that much in the grand scheme of things considering Bolton's accepted bid was supposedly only a few hundred grand.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Even without Mackay there both McInnes and Robinson would be off their heads to take the Hibs job at the moment. They're a bigger club but they're also an utter shambles.

On another note, I'm amazed Baccus stayed with us for his full contract. I thought after the first or second time I saw him play there wasn't a hope we would keep him and can't believe no one took a punt on him. Not even as if we were holding out for that much in the grand scheme of things considering Bolton's accepted bid was supposedly only a few hundred grand.

Didn't the Bolton deal fall thru because KB had an injury?

Also given that if he returned from injury in good form he'd be away on international duty in Jan 24 leaving summer 23 as the only chance we had to move him on for money.

4 hours ago, AW saint said:

Jacob Bedeau released by Morecambe

I think just about their whole team, and their manager have all been let go. I saw Cammy Smith was one of rhe players, after how good he was in our Championship winning season I've always been surprised that his career didn't really go anywhere.

10 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I work with a number of Boro fans and they've all said they can't see any way he ever gets a game for them. Just too far down the pecking order. 

I don't think they'll be hard to deal with, but I also don't think we should be paying a fee 

Might be no fee but a %50 sell on clause , which would probably suit all concerned 

5 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I think just about their whole team, and their manager have all been let go. I saw Cammy Smith was one of rhe players, after how good he was in our Championship winning season I've always been surprised that his career didn't really go anywhere.

I think Cammy’s lack of pace stopped him from kicking on. In that season, we had so much movement with Morgan and Reilly that created space for him. 

12 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

:rolleyes:

Screenshot_20240520_194019_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I can't see David Gray ever being given the top job since Hibs rely on him to step up as interim manager twice a season, every season. 

I’m going early on this one. My big prediction for season 2024/25 is that Conor McMenamin really kicks on, and in a Toyosi fashion, looks an absolute player, and starts attracting attention from other clubs.

Bookmark it. Maybees. No, really, I think he’s going to be a big player for us next season. Just play him on the left please.

13 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’m going early on this one. My big prediction for season 2024/25 is that Conor McMenamin really kicks on, and in a Toyosi fashion, looks an absolute player, and starts attracting attention from other clubs.

Bookmark it. Maybees. No, really, I think he’s going to be a big player for us next season. Just play him on the left please.

I like McMenamin on the left but where does Kiltie fit in

21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

McMenamin’s been great on the right, it’s where he played for Glentoran and had most of his good performances for us. Teams have their defenders double up on him which limits what he can do but for the most part he’s been far better than some would like to give him credit for.

13 minutes ago, SS77 said:

McMenamin’s been great on the right, it’s where he played for Glentoran and had most of his good performances for us. Teams have their defenders double up on him which limits what he can do but for the most part he’s been far better than some would like to give him credit for.

The problem was based around two things :-

1. Injuries, getting up to speed with us    and

2. He was touted as a goalscorer.

His second season should see him more settled and used to how we play and hopefully up a notch in fitness.

Goals? All depends on how he is being played and what positions he gets into.

The settled squad will kick on next season overall I expect and the taste of Europe will help. 

In addition a few really good additions again is always appreciated.