The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think your fans will boo Ryan Strain next season or not?

Wouldn't have thought so. He was very popular obviously and whilst it would be a bit disappointing to see him move to another Premiership club I'm not massively sure he'll be awash with brilliant options.

He's a very good player, but as has been said, he's got real issues with fitness and by that I don't mean just with picking up niggling injuries.

Has an interesting approach to training by all accounts!

Not sure if Utd are in for him or not, but Dundee have definitely made him an offer.

It's hard for me to imagine Sunderland would come in for Robbo, but being realistic, if they did then it would be an absolute no brainer for him to go there.

Same as it was for Jack. They may be a basketcase but when all said and done they are massive compared to anyone in Scotland outside the big two.

The money in the English Championship is also insane compared to the washers we are playing with up here.

Hopefully nothing comes of it.

I really like Strain, he's a good player to watch, creative and entertaining. However, there are so many things that counts against him unfortunately and in my opinion at least, a few of them stack into being a bigger issue. The fact he can only really play right wing back, but isn't particularly fit is a big one. I think both those things could potentially put teams off. Are there many teams out there who would want to change Thier whole system to get the best out of Strain for 65 mins each week? At our level, yes, probably, above that though I don't think so.

I still think he was a good player for us though, and I reckon he'll be popular wherever he goes, so long as he stays fit.

Sunderland forum 24 pages in on Robinson he certainly is not a popular choice. The latest post seems to indicate talks are happening. He reckons Robinson wants his back room staff which could be a problem . It's a fans forum so could be a load of old cobblers. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think your fans will boo Ryan Strain next season or not?

If anyone does, they’ll only have 55-60 minutes in which to get it done.

I enjoyed Strain playing for us but most definitely has issues with fitness as we all have seen. Did well for us going forward but for me was bang average as a defender, got caught out too much for my liking.

Shaun Rooney for my money will be an upgrade for the Team IMO.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Not a sideways move IMO but a downwards move. Imagine giving up European football for a relegation fight with United?

Strain will receive a significant increase in wages and signing on fee with United. 

We could be out of Europe first round.

I’m an optimist though and have already pencilled in the final. 😜 

28th May 2025.

11 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Strain will receive a significant increase in wages and signing on fee with United. 

We could be out of Europe first round.

I’m an optimist though and have already pencilled in the final. 😜 

28th May 2025.

Is Maolida definitely signing on then? 🥳

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

They have been such a car crash of a club for too long. They are a sleeping giant capable of 40,000 home fans its the type of project Robinson would love only if Robinson can have full control. Fingers crossed Sunderland get their first choice. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Just need to face it. If Sunderland come calling we will be looking for a new manager. 

Watch out the caveat police will be after you  🤣

Edited by medals

3 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Sunderland forum 24 pages in on Robinson he certainly is not a popular choice. The latest post seems to indicate talks are happening. He reckons Robinson wants his back room staff which could be a problem . It's a fans forum so could be a load of old cobblers. 

That's an amusing read. From talking about cancelling season tickets to saying Aberdeen finished with more points than us.

They seem to want/expect a big name manager- Davie Moyes, Martin O'Neill, Dick Advocaat all worked out well for them.

1 hour ago, medals said:

Watch out the caveat police will be after you  🤣

FFS. Your version of that post would be "I think Robinson is going to stay. Unless Sunderland come calling."

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

FFS. Your version of that post would be "I think Robinson is going to stay. Unless Sunderland come calling."

Well if you say so..  hardly we will win the league next season if we don't get beat to the title like yours. 😊

Edited by medals

Just now, AW saint said:

Robbo moves on who would we look at. No Pep or Klopp comments

Absolutely no clue. I want experience on a par with Robinson. Hard to think who that might be that would be available, willing and affordable.

Really hard to say. I don't think any of us expected a manager like Robinson in that he was in work at an English side that we paid money to get out of his contract, so I'd hope it would be another appointment out of left-field.

The concern is that we have personnel who are being signed to play in a particular way and that instantly pigeon-holes any new manger into that style for the coming season but that will always end up being the case whenever he leaves.