The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Really hard to say. I don't think any of us expected a manager like Robinson in that he was in work at an English side that we paid money to get out of his contract, so I'd hope it would be another appointment out of left-field.

The concern is that we have personnel who are being signed to play in a particular way and that instantly pigeon-holes any new manger into that style for the coming season but that will always end up being the case whenever he leaves.

If he leaves (and i dont think he will yet) i'd promote O'Carroll if he's interested, as he comes across well, seems to have the respect of the players and would offer continuity. Failing that, i'd much prefer an up and coming manager like Rhys McCabe.

42 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

He might tell us to shove it, but I’d hope we would at least speak to Ian Murray. A lot has changed since 2015. 

I think he'd have the conversation: we're almost a different club now. But can you imagine how little patience he'd get from certain quarters. 

10 minutes ago, Hendo said:

More likely America is bored of Robbie Neilson.

True, a struggle to think of many managers of experience of our league who aren't total duds though.

Ian Murray isn't good enough, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

He might tell us to shove it, but I’d hope we would at least speak to Ian Murray. A lot has changed since 2015. 

No that boat has well sailed. 

Posted (edited)

Looks like all the teams are now in for our European draw.

Screenshot_20240602-184507_kindlephoto-2146674.thumb.png.5f30c7c445adf837b5cd13115a0da5d9.png

Just about a 50% chance we'll get a Europa League 1st Qualifying Round loser or a Conference League 1st Qualifying Round winner (from the teams below; smaller list is from the Europa). If that happens then we'll only find out our opponent a week before the 1st leg on July 25th.

Screenshot_20240602-185028_kindlephoto-1929291.thumb.png.5a61858da716e9d8a8b780b382f1f48d.png

Screenshot_20240602-190202_kindlephoto-2623408.thumb.png.05a0807004df75030e5434fb1d7a8a8c.png

Edited by Buttocks Brown

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Div said:

It's hard for me to imagine Sunderland would come in for Robbo, but being realistic, if they did then it would be an absolute no brainer for him to go there.

Same as it was for Jack. They may be a basketcase but when all said and done they are massive compared to anyone in Scotland outside the big two.

The money in the English Championship is also insane compared to the washers we are playing with up here.

Hopefully nothing comes of it.

Pretty much my thought on things - his stock is unlikely to get much higher with us (unless we win a cup...) and getting a chance to take over a Championship club who feel they should be pushing for the EPL is something he can't really turn down. The stuff about him being second choice is irrelevant - I'm not sure he'd even be second choice as a fair number of folk have been linked with that job.

We'd be a very attractive proposition for any manager and hopefully our board/chief exec have already had some thoughts about who we should appoint if/when Robinson goes. We should get a fairly heft chunk of compensation if he were to go this summer, which will help.

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think he'd have the conversation: we're almost a different club now. But can you imagine how little patience he'd get from certain quarters. 

Have to say I’d be one of those.

Murray would be a heavy No for me.

Posted (edited)

Get Flynniesta fast-tracked to his badges, just in case. He’s already accepted a player / coach role, he’s on his way… Can’t imagine Sunderland going for Robbo’ anyway. Can imagine them going for a relatively unknown foreign manager, hoping they turned out to be the next Klopp.. or if not Klopp, at least like the bloke at Brentford.

Edited by pozbaird

9 hours ago, Div said:

Wouldn't have thought so. He was very popular obviously and whilst it would be a bit disappointing to see him move to another Premiership club I'm not massively sure he'll be awash with brilliant options.

He's a very good player, but as has been said, he's got real issues with fitness and by that I don't mean just with picking up niggling injuries.

Has an interesting approach to training by all accounts!

Not sure if Utd are in for him or not, but Dundee have definitely made him an offer.

What was the issue? Lack of application, lack of stamina?

21 minutes ago, Torfason said:

What was the issue? Lack of application, lack of stamina?

The former leading to the latter.

1 hour ago, Div said:

Have to say I’d be one of those.

Murray would be a heavy No for me.

This. Once bitten, twice shy.

Murray, for me, has proven absolutely nothing since leaving us to suggest that we made the wrong decision in sacking him.

I can’t believe Sunderland are considering Robbo, when Jack left they were a team desperate for promotion back to the Championship and he was a stepping stone however now they are building to get to the Premier League. 

This is not a slight on one of our best managers in the last 40 years but this is lazy journalism at its best.

If Robbo goes to Sunderland, I will eat all the spare EJJ hats in Paisley 

15 hours ago, AW saint said:

Robbo moves on who would we look at. No Pep or Klopp comments

( IF ) Robinson leaves I can see him taking quite a few back room staff. ( IF ) Robinson was to leave would like to see our club try and entice Tony Docherty. 

33 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

( IF ) Robinson leaves I can see him taking quite a few back room staff. ( IF ) Robinson was to leave would like to see our club try and entice Tony Docherty. 

Nice try but Dundee are paying him way more than we would. 

Would like McInness but that ain't happening either.