The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

39 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Hard agree. I hated watching peak Spain/Barca. Technically excellent but dull as f**k.

Spain, winning every game by a goal with 90% possession and passing it sideways and back for the whole game, playing no centre forward. f**k me it was boring as f**k.

58 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Robinson is a big fan of Jamieson but I agree. I want him to kick on being a product of our academy but just for the life of me, can't see what he brings on a weekly basis.

I think Jamieson would benefit from a regular starting slot, and a run of games to at least get his confidence back. 
I’m just doubtful that he’s got enough about him at this level to get that game time with us.

He might end up dropping down a level. Having said that I’d love him to prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Spain, winning every game by a goal with 90% possession and passing it sideways and back for the whole game, playing no centre forward. f**k me it was boring as f**k.

As least they were winning their games, it was working for them. I all but gave up listening to Radio Scotland because of the amount of times I heard losing managers getting praised because their teams "tried to play football the right way". Forcing "kick & chase" footballers to pass the ball about at the back before either losing possession or kicking the ball aimlessly upfield often out of play was never the right way. 

Edited by btb

Am I right in thinking he'd taken up a coaching role with one of the youth teams last season? If not we should definitely find a position for him somewhere.

55 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Just popping this in here since @medals was so invested in it. :lol:

Can't be correct. Medals said - emphatically - that he wasn't signing for Motherwell.

I think he looks a decent player and was happy when it looked like he was coming to us. Obviously our interest ended when we signed Rooney but I doubt that's a reflection on Balmer at all. 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Am I right in thinking he'd taken up a coaching role with one of the youth teams last season? If not we should definitely find a position for him somewhere.

He certainly was doing this last season. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Can't be correct. Medals said - emphatically - that he wasn't signing for Motherwell.

I think he looks a decent player and was happy when it looked like he was coming to us. Obviously our interest ended when we signed Rooney but I doubt that's a reflection on Balmer at all. 

Happy as I am with Rooney signing, I won't lie that I was fully invested in those fucking ENORMOUS long throws for the week or so it looked like he was Paisley-bound.

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Happy as I am with Rooney signing, I won't lie that I was fully invested in those fucking ENORMOUS long throws for the week or so it looked like he was Paisley-bound.

Yeah, I was quite excited about that prospect. Look forward to them causing havoc when we play Well next season. 🤦‍♂️

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Just popping this in here since @medals was so invested in it. :lol:

Well done the Well.

I was simply asking what was happening and adding a bit of banter too... at times I'm over eager and should choose my words better.

It's hard to know how most squads will pan out, but you guys have lost some big players, but fans are waiting with baited breathe.

We are only looking for a few players.

Who is going down next season? RC, St J or ?

Edited by medals

2 hours ago, medals said:

Well done the Well.

I was simply asking what was happening and adding a bit of banter too... at times I'm over eager and should choose my words better.

It's hard to know how most squads will pan out, but you guys have lost some big players, but fans are waiting with baited breathe.

We are only looking for a few players.

Who is going down next season? RC, St J or ?

Hibs

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Jacob Bedeau signs for Notts County. I had that one pinned as a probable for us. 

Think we'll still be in the market for a left sided CB though.

I'd be stunned if Jamie McCart isn't one you're after.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be stunned if Jamie McCart isn't one you're after.

I mean, if he's willing to come in and be backup to Taylor then perhaps. Speculative but I'd imagine we've missed out on Bedeau as he and Taylor play the exact same position and both will expect to start every game, which obviously cannot happen.

The alternative is to bring in someone who will challenge for LCB slot rather than expect to start and given McCart has been a regular starter at this level before joining south to a decent level (albeit with reduced game time), I think that would be a tough sell to him.

Plus we had him on emergency loan for like 3 games when he was 19 and he was pretty pish 😂

3 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Balmer and now Bedeau were we actually in for both players. 

Yeah. We dropped interest in Balmer when Rooney signed and I think we definitely wanted Bedeau and have missed out as Robinson had chased him up as his number 2 target behind McMenamin last summer.  But of course, circumstances change. Bedeau would have walked right in to our first XI last season with Taylor the clear understudy but a relatively good season for Taylor and him developing a great deal means that unless we bring somebody in who is a massive upgrade on Taylor, you'll have two guys who feel they should be starting every week at LCB and only one shirt available.