The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

My initial reaction to the news about Ryan Strain signing for a rival team in our division is one of surprise. 
As other posters have already said he has a major issue with injury and definitely has a major doubt about his ability to last 90 mins.

That being said, when he’s on it then you have a player with bags of ability who can ping free kicks in from distance, and he can be a class act in the right wingback slot.

f**k him and Goodwin both fair game now.

We had an offer on the table for Ryan for months which was pulled when it became clear that Rooney was coming. Obviously hedged his bets that he'd get a much bigger club but hasn't worked out. May have some regrets now but hey ho.

Rooney or Strain? Loved Strain but well-documented fitness issues; we were without him for months last season. Rooney a bit different but probably more of a Robbo-type than Strain.

If Robinson cannot improve Strain then that rules out Goodwin who did not improve one player under him when he was with us. Look at Main and Erharon who couldn't get a game under Goodwin yet became mainstays and brought in money with Robinson's coaching. Strain will be stagnant for the next two years.

If united can impose an evening curfew he'll do well for them, that might stop him blowing out of his arse after 60 minutes.

Good luck to him.

Edited by FTOF

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

If Robinson cannot improve Strain then that rules out Goodwin who did not improve one player under him when he was with us. Look at Main and Erharon who couldn't get a game under Goodwin yet became mainstays and brought in money with Robinson's coaching. Strain will be stagnant for the next two years.

Jamie McGrath

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

If united can impose an evening curfew he'll do well for them, that might stop him blowing out of his arse after 60 minutes.

Really disappointed to lose him, especially to another team in our league as on his day, he's one of the best right wing backs in the league. If he can sort out his fitness issues, then he should be playing at a higher level than the top league in Scotland. 

4 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

So, this Strain guy, any guid?

He’s great. I would be doubtful as to whether Goodwin is the right manager to get the best out of him both in terms of tactics and man management.

That return at Motherwell and genuinely blowing out his arse after 20 minutes was something else. He’s a brilliant player though.

Edited by buddie06smfc

7 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

That return at Motherwell and genuinely blowing out his arse after 20 minutes was something else. He’s a brilliant player though.

That return I think was the writing on the wall for him.

Guy went off for something like 4 months with an injury that prevents running or any real lower body cardio so the reasonable expectation in lieu of that is that you take care of yourself whilst laid low. The club will of course monitor throughout and rehab but can't be there 24/7 with a player to ensure he is eating correctly and not overdoing it socially. 

Strain came back in such a condition that when he was good to start full training again, it was way beyond shaking off injury rust and that apparently pissed off a lot of folk to the point where the contract, which had been on the table since winter, was pulled and no longer there for him or his agent's consideration. If it hadn't been for injury/suspension he'd have been nowhere near the starting XI at Motherwell.

As many have said, extremely talented footballer but his lifestyle will hold him back from the levels he should be allowed to showcase them at.

Like a nice ex-girlfriend, you'll miss some of the things they did, but ultimately you know the choice to break up was the right one.

Cracking player on the day. In fact, almost unplayable on the day, but those days are just too few and far between, and even on those days you're not getting a full 90.

United have to look at that as a coup, after all he was being touted with a big move down South or maybe to Hearts, but a yo-yo Goodwin team seems a bit of a step down. That said, he's moved early so perhaps this isn't all about money but getting a decent length of contract sorted before pre-season.

Do I wish him well? Of course, he certainly played his part. Do I think Rooney is a better player? Unsure, will need to wait to see how he plays in Robinson's set up, and while we discuss Strain's injuries I note that last season there are fairly large gaps where Rooney didn't get in the Fleetwood team, almost a third of them all told.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

That said, he's moved early so perhaps this isn't all about money but getting a decent length of contract sorted before pre-season.

It's more likely he spent 6 months hawking himself around England only to fins nobody was interested 

Ryan created some great memories in his time with us. As most folk have said though, his fitness issues and his lack of professionalism are a big drawback. (Echoes of Rooney, RandomGuy?) Good going forward, but (sadly) my last memory of Ryan will be when he was caught sleeping at the back post when Celtic nabbed a late winner. We move on…

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's more likely he spent 6 months hawking himself around England only to fins nobody was interested 

As you would expect. Any player coming up to the end of their contract would expect their agent to try and sort out another gig, especially when their current manager isn't offering an extension.

My point is, and it's one you'll recognise,  that he could have held out until later in the window for a more profitable deal. He's had enough good performances to make a very tempting YT compilation, and any manager looking at the up coming closing window desperate for a wide player is likely to be a bit more generous given the time constraint.

55 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Strange one. I'm sure it was Panda who assured me he was too good for any team outside the Old firm.

49 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Strange one. I'm sure it was Panda who assured me he was too good for any team outside the Old firm.

Everyone has opinions. It wasn't long ago one of your fan was claiming you'd sell 3 or 4 players for many £millions, including Baron for whom you'll now only get a development fee for I believe.

Anyway, are you happy with your squad, new manager and can you make top 6 next season. 

We are nearly all sorted and swapping Strain for Rooney is a positive for us overall.

26 minutes ago, medals said:

Everyone has opinions. It wasn't long ago one of your fan was claiming you'd sell 3 or 4 players for many £millions, including Baron for whom you'll now only get a development fee for I believe.

Anyway, are you happy with your squad, new manager and can you make top 6 next season. 

We are nearly all sorted and swapping Strain for Rooney is a positive for us overall.

To be fair it wasn’t that long ago that St Mirren fans were claiming that Baccus would go for a few million because he had played a couple of games at the World Cup.