The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

21 hours ago, AW saint said:

Just shows how moving clubs doesn't always work. Zach Hemming is having a mare for his new club. His boss slated him in the press. 

Bet he wishes he could have stayed with us.

I'd have been happy enough if he stayed but I always felt he was highly rated because expectations were low. After Carson's sudden departure and the comments from Killie fans, it seemed it was just a relief that his hands worked and anything more was a bonus.

In other news, and I'm probably late to the party on this, I've just discovered on Wikipedia that Jonah Ayunga was in his school's bobsleigh team - something that poses far more questions than answers: https://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/10896089.proud-four-on-beaminster-school-bobsleigh-team/

Edited by Stu

4 hours ago, RagaRocker said:

You guys inspired the Brann fans and they have started a charity funding. The money goes to "Help Newborns NICU in rural areas of Kazakhstan".

Thanks a lot for this great idea.

excellent, paying it forward, well done sir

It’s been a tough fixture schedule also coupled with injuries in the middle of the park.

However, at what point do we have to rethink the 5-3-2 formation. Teams look to have cottoned on that if they pin Rooney and Brown/tanser back, then we offer nothing going forwards. Then it means our midfield end up chasing shadows.   

One thing that anoyed me is we have built a physical and tall team, but seemed to really struggle to win headers against players smaller than them!

16 hours ago, AW saint said:

Bid was £250k 

We should be looking at double that although we would probably deal at £350k

We don't need the cash as such so can hold out for a better fee. 

Young players his age (18) lose value as they, erm, age  and also as their contract runs down. It might be a bit of a bummer but your estimate seems about right.

The kid strikes a ball like a left-sided Alexander-Arnold. No wonder there's interest in him. Shame he'll barely play for us but hopefully we'll benefit from transfer fees in the future as well as this one.

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

If he stays fit and has the killer instinct we've been clearly lacking, great.

Depending on how much we're paying it's a big risk but, most of us want a bit of a shuffling of the pack. If he does bring goals the positive effects of that are very much needed ASAP.

Edited by medals

8 minutes ago, mornington saint said:
If everything goes well, Kevin Van Veen will soon transfer to St Mirren in good consultation

In case your Dutch is a bit rusty.

.... and your English is even rustier.

19 hours ago, Stu said:

I'd have been happy enough if he stayed but I always felt he was highly rated because expectations were low. After Carson's sudden departure and the comments from Killie fans, it seemed it was just a relief that his hands worked and anything more was a bonus.

In other news, and I'm probably late to the party on this, I've just discovered on Wikipedia that Jonah Ayunga was in his school's bobsleigh team - something that poses far more questions than answers: https://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/10896089.proud-four-on-beaminster-school-bobsleigh-team/

Hemming was good for us in the championship and the fans loved him. A mistake and an injury in the league cup after promotion cost him and when he got back in the team he chucked one in the net at ross county.

I really hope he has a good career.......seems like a sound lad.

Presume Ethan will go this week then.

Is it likely that we would reject £250K as quoted? Like Dylan Reid, ES is in the final year of his contract and didn't DR leave for about £200K?

If he wants to leave then we pretty much have to settle for a number near the out-of-contract compensation fee then try and work in some add-ons.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Presume Ethan will go this week then.

Is it likely that we would reject £250K as quoted? Like Dylan Reid, ES is in the final year of his contract and didn't DR leave for about £200K?

If he wants to leave then we pretty much have to settle for a number near the out-of-contract compensation fee then try and work in some add-ons.

Not really. The Reid scenario was with 6 months left on his deal and Ethan will likely have his share of interest in 6 months from now. So ball in is our court and a club like Wolves, it makes no material difference to them if they pay £250k or £2.5m, both are easily affordable but the window is a small one.

We can still thrash something out for him in next few days.  £400-500k and plenty of performance and appearance based add ons will probably do the trick.

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Not really. The Reid scenario was with 6 months left on his deal and he'll likely have his share of interest in 6 months from now.

We can still thrash something out for him in next few days.  £400-500k and plenty of performance and appearance based add ons will probably do the trick.

We won't get to see what fee he goes for as it will be undisclosed. However I think we will be about £350-£400k. 

He will be off this week. 

In a ideal world we would have a couple of clubs in for him. 

Hope it helps boost the squad before the weekend