The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Wouldn't read too much into Van Veen's spell with us. Thought his quality was clear every single time he was on the pitch, even if he wasn't the fittest. He was a bit unlucky in that Vassell and Watkins were both brilliant in the run-in and both stayed fit the whole time, so neither him nor Greg Stewart really got a proper go of it.

I will die on the hill that it was a successful signing for us purely because of the lift it gave the fans and the fact he didn't go to you at that point.

His fitness , or lack of , will most certainly be an issue should the deal get over the line- he hasn't kicked a ball in anger since a brief 9 mins in early May 

Nothing since and no preseason

Its fair to assume he is in worse shape then when Killie got him in Jan 

Not exactly the " hit the ground running " option we needed  

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Wouldn't read too much into Van Veen's spell with us. Thought his quality was clear every single time he was on the pitch, even if he wasn't the fittest. He was a bit unlucky in that Vassell and Watkins were both brilliant in the run-in and both stayed fit the whole time, so neither him nor Greg Stewart really got a proper go of it.

I will die on the hill that it was a successful signing for us purely because of the lift it gave the fans and the fact he didn't go to you at that point.

He was fabulous at Motherwell (I'm a Motherwell fan). But I struggle to see how anyone could think his stint at Killie was a success. He wouldn't have kicked a ball for St Mirren or Motherwell at that point either. His fitness was terrible and he was blowing out of his arse. An expensive punt that could have worked but didn't 

If he signs for st mirren and they get him fit he could do well

Edited by ClaretAmberb

Tbf, I think it was @RandomGuy. who posted a while back that you shouldn't get too hung up on Van Veen's numbers, that he's a "vibes" player and that's 100% accurate.

I've found it quite weird that there's been a discussion along the lines that he only had one good season at Motherwell. Even the season before that he was still great value (despite a section of our support giving him grief because they thought he was "lazy").

By all accounts he was equally beloved by Scunthorpe fans.

I've said it before in your thread that he's the sort of player who just needs to be indulged and made allowances for (Kettlewell made exactly the same point after the move to Groningen). I guess it's really just a question of whether Robinson is willing to do that.

Anyway, it's worth revisiting this video if you need any convincing that he's just a natural footballer.

47 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, I think it was @RandomGuy. who posted a while back that you shouldn't get too hung up on Van Veen's numbers, that he's a "vibes" player and that's 100% accurate.

I've found it quite weird that there's been a discussion along the lines that he only had one good season at Motherwell. Even the season before that he was still great value (despite a section of our support giving him grief because they thought he was "lazy").

By all accounts he was equally beloved by Scunthorpe fans.

I've said it before in your thread that he's the sort of player who just needs to be indulged and made allowances for (Kettlewell made exactly the same point after the move to Groningen). I guess it's really just a question of whether Robinson is willing to do that.

Anyway, it's worth revisiting this video if you need any convincing that he's just a natural footballer.

He looks a better option than Ayunga etc

Hope he finds some form quickly

Every signing is a gamble, will KVV prove to be a success remains to be seen. At 33 years of age and given fitness issues i suspect it's a real left field punt. Would much rather Saints went for a lower league Scottish striker with a bit of potential however, they now seen non existent which is bizarre. No wonder Scottish football has little or no impact on the Euro scene, where is the natural progression for our youngsters. 

7 minutes ago, Alshboy said:

Every signing is a gamble, will KVV prove to be a success remains to be seen. At 33 years of age and given fitness issues i suspect it's a real left field punt. Would much rather Saints went for a lower league Scottish striker with a bit of potential however, they now seen non existent which is bizarre. No wonder Scottish football has little or no impact on the Euro scene, where is the natural progression for our youngsters. 

They're all in English academies 👎

Kev is some laugh but along with Tony Watt he's got an air of zero f**ks given about him. When he's been involved so little since he left us I bet there's been no hunkering down to keep his fitness up or in the slightest way be professional.

He was considered 'lazy' because he is lazy. I remember when he was coming back from a toe? injury and watching him at the half time warm up. When everyone else was diligently running their shuttles at the instruction of the fitness coach he was sauntering. Next the sideways feet cross thing, again just zero effort going through the motions like it was for the mortals alone. If he whipped out his phone and started texting while doing it I wouldn't have been surprised.

He's a big moody b*****d too and before he played at his best with a big bulky ball winner beside him (Obika when he wasn't broken). It was felt be a good number of our support that he recorded one good game in three (some argued up to five) before that record breaking run. However, he will do stuff and you'll have a grin from ear to ear.

Surprised you went for him, the last 12 months have been a car crash for him apart from his bank balance.

1 hour ago, Vietnam91 said:

Kev is some laugh but along with Tony Watt he's got an air of zero f**ks given about him. When he's been involved so little since he left us I bet there's been no hunkering down to keep his fitness up or in the slightest way be professional.

He was considered 'lazy' because he is lazy. I remember when he was coming back from a toe? injury and watching him at the half time warm up. When everyone else was diligently running their shuttles at the instruction of the fitness coach he was sauntering. Next the sideways feet cross thing, again just zero effort going through the motions like it was for the mortals alone. If he whipped out his phone and started texting while doing it I wouldn't have been surprised.

He's a big moody b*****d too and before he played at his best with a big bulky ball winner beside him (Obika when he wasn't broken). It was felt be a good number of our support that he recorded one good game in three (some argued up to five) before that record breaking run. However, he will do stuff and you'll have a grin from ear to ear.

Surprised you went for him, the last 12 months have been a car crash for him apart from his bank balance.

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing him in the stripes however I can't remember who but a player said there are 2 kinds of players; those who carry the piano and those who play it.

He better be a bloody pianist or our support will let him know 🤣

Boooooooooooooooo 😎

Goalkeepers

Urminsky, Balcombe

Defenders

Gogic, Fraser, R.Taylor, Tanser, Bwomono, Kenny, Rooney, Brown, Iacovitti

Midfielders

O'Hara, Kiltie, Boyd-Munce, F. Taylor, Smyth, Idowu, Adeniran, Phillips

Forwards

Ayunga, Olusanya, McMenamin, Mandron, Scott, Van Veen

Well done to the club for getting this done. He might not turn out to be a success, and we didn't necessarily have massive competition for his signature as @capt_oats and @RandomGuy. reasonably pointed out.

But we identified him as our main target, and have signed a guy that was scoring goals for fun at this level 18 months ago. He is also demonstrably out of our reach, budget-wise, and it clearly hasn't been an easy deal to get over the line.

So the club deserves credit for getting it done, and for backing Robinson. There aren't many strikers out there, as we've seen from activity across the league.

He might not even arrive match fit, but it's not like we have zero strikers in the meantime. Most of our toils this season have been because of injuries elsewhere in the team. It's well-worn but if we can get those big five players back fit (Kiltie, CBM, MOH, McMenamin and Adeniran) and then add KVV to that, I am very optimistic about the rest of the season.

Hope KVV does brilliantly for you...safe to say it's a gamble for all the reasons listed but he's a fun player to have in the league and Scottish football is always at its best when it remembers to stop taking itself too seriously. Can't wait to see how he does.

Ill give the old boy that sits behind me about 8 minutes of his first appearance before he loses his shit about him being lazy....

I think what could make it work is that he most likely will have Olusanya beside, a guy who does enough running and work for two players anyway. 

To echo a few above, it's a total punt, but rather that than some21 year old 6ft 3 reserve player from Bolton/Colchester/Salford on loan. At least he's the potential to be box office