The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Surely no! I mean good as he still looks, he's 37. You're only one preseason away from dropping off a cliff at that age.

While you're absolutely correct, he's put in more terrifying crosses against us alone this season than some of our players have all season. An option to help bring Henderson through? I'd not complain. Connolly certainly doesn't seem trusted.

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

Unless it's some kind of player coach deal?

Not a terrible shout, though not completely sure how he'd fit in. I'm not sure he's the type of of player I'd pictured when claiming we needed an attacking coach.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

While you're absolutely correct, he's put in more terrifying crosses against us alone this season than some of our players have all season. An option to help bring Henderson through? I'd not complain. Connolly certainly doesn't seem trusted.

Not a terrible shout, though not completely sure how he'd fit in. I'm not sure he's the type of of player I'd pictured when claiming we needed an attacking coach.

Yeah, I mean, to be honest with you the whole idea of him leaving Killie and signing for us at 37 while we are both in the same league is bonkers to be honest. Player/coach, with the emphasis on coach at least makes a wee bit of sense, but you'd wonder why he wouldn't just do it at Kilmarnock instead. 

To be clear, not saying he’s signing.

But I believe an offer, of some sort, is out there.

Burke made me think of me Gary Teale last night in that neither team could afford the players at their peak but still looked a class act at the end of their careers. Some of his crosses were sublime last night. Agree that the logical place for him to stay is Kilmarnock but maybe wright doesn’t want to extend his contract. A years player/ coach contract wouldn’t be a bad thing. 

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They could afford him, tbf. They apparently paid £850k for that Hernandez last season.

Those were different times.

Still, as long as St Mirren aren't asking for something daft then I'd imagine we could afford him. Whether he wants to come is another matter.

St Mirren in that awful position where they take a lesser fee than he's worth now or lose him next summer for free I'd imagine.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Those were different times.

Still, as long as St Mirren aren't asking for something daft then I'd imagine we could afford him. Whether he wants to come is another matter.

St Mirren in that awful position where they take a lesser fee than he's worth now or lose him next summer for free I'd imagine.

Define 'something daft'.

What does a midfielder who has scored 15 goals in a season and provided a lot more on top of that command these days? A wee £200k and a condescending pat on the head?

Nah, that patter can f**k right off. We've turned a profit the last 4 years and are in an exceptionally healthy financial position, even in these times. Aberdeen on the other hand are haemorrhaging money from every orifice.

He, like everyone else has a price but we certainly don't need to take a token 'lesser fee' for him. We've been pumped rotten down the years with that (see £150k for Kenny McLean as just one example) and I think most St. Mirren supporters are both sick of it and believe we're finally past that.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Calm down

To be fair, it's not a sleight on Aberdeen (well apart from the last few words :lol: ) but it's been so long now that we have seen clubs of similar stature holding out for brilliant money for their best players and we've sat back and accepted the first bid from anyone who shows a bit of leg for ours. It's just that we seem to be a bit of a soft touch for these types of stories.

Edited by djchapsticks

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Define 'something daft'.

What does a midfielder who has scored 15 goals in a season and provided a lot more on top of that command these days? A wee £200k and a condescending pat on the head?

Nah, that patter can f**k right off. We've turned a profit the last 4 years and are in an exceptionally healthy financial position, even in these times. Aberdeen on the other hand are haemorrhaging money from every orifice.

He, like everyone else has a price but we certainly don't need to take a token 'lesser fee' for him. We've been pumped rotten down the years with that (see £150k for Kenny McLean as just one example) and I think most St. Mirren supporters are both sick of it and believe we're finally past that.

There were quotes in the paper the other week from one of our guys - was it the Kibble board member, maybe? - basically saying exactly that: our strategy is built around getting proper fees for these players.

Of course, as flagged above, the issue is we can't force the boy to sign an extension.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

There were quotes in the paper the other week from one of our guys - was it the Kibble board member, maybe? - basically saying exactly that: our strategy is built around getting proper fees for these players.

Of course, as flagged above, the issue is we can't force the boy to sign an extension.

This is true but I'm sure we'd rather have him for another season than part with £200k for him.

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Define 'something daft'.

What a state to get yourself in to. 9am too.

Something daft, i.e way above his market value while he has a year left on his contract.

I'm not suggesting you take a token lesser fee. I'm suggesting that it's a nightmare situation for St Mirren as if you have genuine top 3-6 ambitions then you risk losing players for free as it's often harder to replace the player. Something I've seen all too well at Aberdeen. 

32 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Define 'something daft'.

I won't stretch to the pat on the head. £200k take it or leave it.

I totally understand why Aberdeen would go for McGrath, especially considering they got their money's worth out of McLean, but seeing as Cormack is determined to run things on a shoestring I doubt they'll pay the money expected, which (imo) is easily 2-3 million for the player.

Goodwin, I think, knows he's going to lose a few players (Fraser, McGrath, McCarthy and Erhahon are just 4 I'd expect other managers to be eyeing up) but our board, thankfully, doesn't seem to be desperate to offload players in exchange for a menial sum.

Edited by Ric

Aberdeen could easily afford McGrath. His value is probably somewhere around £500k.

He's 24, so he's fairly young but he's not young enough that he has the potential for significant resale value for Aberdeen.

The real killer for St Mirren though is there only being a year left on his deal. That's a massive discount on a players value.

Just now, G51 said:

Aberdeen could easily afford McGrath. His value is probably somewhere around £500k

I do love an OF fan when they make predictions in regard to players. For their squad it's multiple millions, for other teams it's daylight robbery! ;)

2 to 3 million at least for McGrath, with Cormack choking on his transatlantic delivery of rowies at the thought. He didn't bring in Glass/Brown because they were the best available, he brought them in because they are a cheap option. Despite him being the other side of the pond, he's still demonstrating classic Aberdonian behaviour.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

I do love an OF fan when they make predictions in regard to players. For their squad it's multiple millions, for other teams it's daylight robbery! ;)

2 to 3 million at least for McGrath, with Cormack choking on his transatlantic delivery of rowies at the thought. He didn't bring in Glass/Brown because they were the best available, he brought them in because they are a cheap option. Despite him being the other side of the pond, he's still demonstrating classic Aberdonian behaviour.

Clueless.

14 minutes ago, Ric said:

I totally understand why Aberdeen would go for McGrath, especially considering they go their money's worth out of McLean, but seeing as Cormack is determined to run things on a shoestring I doubt they'll pay the money expected, which (imo) is easily 2-3 million for the player.

Goodwin, I think, knows he's going to lose a few players (Fraser, McGrath, McCarthy and Erhahon are just 4 I'd expect other managers to be eyeing up) but our board, thankfully, doesn't seem to be desperate to offload players in exchange for a menial sum.

I've been on the wind up in this thread but £2-3m is mental. No one is paying that for someone with a year left.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Clueless.

I don't think Cormack is clueless, to be fair, he just knows the budget he's working to.

What is clueless is thinking that a 15 goal a season midfielder with a year left on his contract and who has been linked with moves to much bigger clubs, will be swayed into a move up to the Northern granite wastelands - and for his club to expect a derisory figure for the pleasure. That is definitely clueless.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

I've been on the wind up in this thread but £2-3m is mental. No one is paying that for someone with a year left.

That represents considerable value.

Edited by Ric

1 minute ago, Ric said:

With all due respect, £2-3m for McGrath is insanity. Edouard and Ajer are also in the last year of their deals and the fees for those transfers might be as low as £8m according to the papers.

McGrath is 24 and has played less than 18 months in the Scottish Premiership after coming through the youth academy at St Pats, being pretty unconvincing there and then doing well with Dundalk. He's a nice player, but he has no real pedigree and his contract status gives him all the leverage.

Turnbull just went for that kind of money last year, and he was significantly younger and better, with longer on his contract and was going to a club with more buying power.