The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Going to come down to the Killie game then? Would be a cracking atmosphere. They always bring a good crowd to our midden, and would certainly do so given their current basement battle situation. Place will be rocking, no matter what happens at Sevco HQ next week.

47 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

5 clear of top six with two to play. It's so fucking close and we're unbelievably in the mix for that group stage football place. 

Unreal stuff!

Anyone who hasn't got a ticket sorted for the Kilmarnock game better buy one sharpish.  Guaranteed that will be a sell out. 

Hard not to get carried away, especially with our away game next week. What a team and club though. 

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Going to come down to the Killie game then? Would be a cracking atmosphere. They always bring a good crowd to our midden, and would certainly do so given their current basement battle situation. Place will be rocking, no matter what happens at Sevco HQ next week.

If Livi don't win next week or we decide to say 'f**k it' and successfully go for it at Ibrox then it won't.

Edited by djchapsticks

For the record, I'm wholly advocating us going for it at Ibrox next week. It's the biggest free hit we've probably ever had going there and they will hopefully have one eye on the semis now that the league season is done for them.

Hard to underplay the job Robinson is doing here. We are in there swinging against Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen for third and Euro group football two games before the split. I almost have to read that back to myself as I type. Imagine that the night we lost at Airdrie to be ko'd from the LC. He has performed miracles assembling then getting the best out this squad. I fully believe he will finally deliver top 6 this season but I think it could be so much more. Great times fellow Buds.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

For the record, I'm wholly advocating us going for it at Ibrox next week. It's the biggest free hit we've probably ever had going there and they will hopefully have one eye on the semis now that the league season is done for them.

I am considering breaking my self imposed 22 year Ibrox exile next week. Definitely agree we should go for it.

So many fans of ours don’t darken the gates of Ibrox and Parkhead anymore for completely valid reasons. 

Ibrox is especially toxic and poisonous. 

I think over the next few days we will see a rise in number of tickets sold. 

COYS

Our last point there I think was the last minute Thommo goal which was arguably one of the best I’ve witnessed there over the years. 

How mental would it be to see Main do a Mad Monk on McGregor and Watt scoring a last minute winner via a Thommo style goal?

4 hours ago, AW saint said:

Brophey injured for County. Need to move him on. Too injury prone

Wasnt his fault tbf, blame our farce of a pitch 

Can anyone shed light on this UEFA licence award refusal and the potential impact in terms of UEFA tournament participation and also the  financial implications?

Livingston FC have been affected in the past as they failed certain criteria.

I’m sure I read last week that the most recent UEFA solidarity payments were not paid in full to Livingston as they had not been granted the necessary licence. I just can’t find the article.

At a recent SMISA meeting when asked a similar question John Needham and club director Paul McNeil both said that we had not been refused a license.

But this SFA document is from December 2022 so should we be worried that we could be successful on the pitch but off field issues could be detrimental moving forward?

IMG_1269.thumb.jpeg.6ff9abe8ba581cabacc814b37f927457.jpeg

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/9901/191222-club-licensing-awards.pdf

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56688895.amp

You wont be denied being able to play in Europe so i wouldnt worry about it tbh. Id imagine an appeal would go in your favour quite easily, unless theres some massive underlying problem with your stadium or finances.

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You wont be denied being able to play in Europe so i wouldnt worry about it tbh. Id imagine an appeal would go in your favour quite easily, unless theres some massive underlying problem with your stadium or finances.

Livingston were not awarded certain uefa solidarity payments as a result of their lack of license. We don’t want to lose out on the financial benefits IF we finish high up the league rankings. 

Regarding the Scottish cup winners and Europe this season?

Do we as St Mirren fans prefer seeing one of the arse cheeks winning the trophy with the current europa league qualification criteria? 

If Falkirk or Inverness won would they enter Europe?

🤢 

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

Yes, thats the UEL Qualifying/Conf Groups spot that "drops" into the 3rd place if one of the top 2 clubs win the Scottish Cup.

If your wish is more premiership teams in Europe via the league position, then you want Rangers or Celtic to win it.

13 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Regarding the Scottish cup winners and Europe this season?

Do we as St Mirren fans prefer seeing one of the arse cheeks winning the trophy with the current europa league qualification criteria? 

🤢 

As much as I wouldn’t enjoy seeing another OF cup win, if we make top 6 then we need to be selfish and hope that 5th place gets us a European tie and the chance of competing in group stage football. 

30 minutes ago, Molotov said:

🤢 

Yes and yes. 

An unwelcome but necessary evil this season is that if we do finish 5th, we will be fully having to give our backing to whatever arsecheek makes the cup final.

Whoever finishes third (which mentally is also still a possibility for us at this point) will be in the same boat as it would upgrade them from Conference league entry to Europa league and guaranteed group stage football.

If we finish outwith top 5 though, fuckem.

Edited by djchapsticks