The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Fus_5rTWIAEBq-9?format=jpg&name=large

I think it's a none story as well. St Mirren didn't even apply last year which is why they were "refused".

I think that's were this rumour is coming from. The St Mirren stadium would qualify if they applied. Its overall award is gold standard (better than Aberdeen and Hearts who will likely be accepted).

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Main leaving would be a bit of a surprise, and dare I say it a stupid move from him. Robinson quite obviously manages to get the best out of him, and we all seen the sort of performances Main was putting in last season; there wouldn’t have been a single St. Mirren fan disappointed to see him go based on those performances. He’s had a good year but he’s not irreplaceable, and although his work rate has been a factor in our success this season, he still lacks a bit of quality when it comes to actually putting the ball in the net. Would be sad to see him go but it wouldn’t be the end of the world imo. 

It's a short career and he won't be able to retire for life after what we have been paying him.

Probably his last chance at a good pay day .

Will leave as a hero, where as if Goodwin was still here he'd probably have been offloaded last summer. It's a crazy sport. 

10 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

If he gets a big deal elsewhere on the back of this year he'd be a fool not to take it at his age. 

He's great for us, but not irreplaceable. 

Yeah that’s fair certainly wouldn’t grudge him that, but he doesn’t exactly have the best reputation amongst other fans in Scotland, and I can’t see a Hibs or Dundee United throwing 3/4 grand a week at him. Plenty in the English lower leagues who could afford those wages but I would be surprised if he has many of those clubs battering down his agents door tbh.

Was always likely Main and Dunne would be off when there was no news of them signing new contracts. Reckon they'll be lucky to get better than the bottom half of League One/top of League Two but even that'll pay far more than we can offer them.

Going to be a new strike force next season with Main away and at least one of Watt and Brophy away, plus Ayunga will take a bit of time to get up to speed after his injury.

A few weeks ago Robinson said the talks over his new contract had been put on the back burner to focus on making the top six, so not a huge surprise nothing's been put in front of him in the few days since we did that.

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Was always likely Main and Dunne would be off when there was no news of them signing new contracts. Reckon they'll be lucky to get better than the bottom half of League One/top of League Two but even that'll pay far more than we can offer them.

I think Dunne is much more likely to stay in Scotland than Main is, although what club he would go to I don’t know. Going from his social media he has a lot of his friends in Scotland, and between us and Motherwell he’s been living here for a good few years. Does he have young children? That could be a factor in any move he makes too, especially if they are of school age.

I’ve got a feeling come the start of next season one of Main or Dunne will still be with us when they don’t get the kind of offer they expected. Could be completely wrong, and I’m not saying they haven’t both had good seasons, but I just can’t see teams offering 2 or 3 times their wages.  Main’s inadequacies have been spoken about and Dunne has had more than a few games where he’s had a horror show. Good luck to both if they do go, will wish them nothing but success wherever they end up. 

I'm quit relaxed about Dunne and Main going to be honest, they've both been excellent this season and at their age if they can get one last decent contract on much more money than we are able to offer then so be it.

The manager and Martin Foyle have been successful this season because of stellar summer recruitment and with us already being assured of not only our Premiership place for next season but a guarantee of at least sixth placed prize money I'd be very surprised if they are not already well advanced with various targets for this Summer.

Wish both lads all the very best wherever they end up.

I wasn’t too impressed when Goodwin signed Curtis. In fact, I was usually relieved when other clubs brought him on as a sub against us. Goal scoring has never been his strength. He has been excellent this season, no doubt at least partly due to Robbo’s influence, and I would be happy if he stayed on. If he goes, I am sure Robbo will find someone at least as good to replace him. Dunne has also been excellent this season. We all know he is prone to the odd error, bad pass, stupid foul, but his pace and strength have saved us many times. Good luck to both if they move on, they will be remembered for their contributions to our top six (at least) finish, but in Robbo we trust…

10 hours ago, elvis said:

Dunne will not be a loss he's s liability doesn't know how to keep his hands down week in week out.im sure we will find better than him.

Above average player at where we've been. His speed and all round game has benefitted us, except for his few errors he's had a good season.

We need to find better as I doubt Taylor is good enough yet.

4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Main leaving would be a bit of a surprise, and dare I say it a stupid move from him. Robinson quite obviously manages to get the best out of him, and we all seen the sort of performances Main was putting in last season; there wouldn’t have been a single St. Mirren fan disappointed to see him go based on those performances. He’s had a good year but he’s not irreplaceable, and although his work rate has been a factor in our success this season, he still lacks a bit of quality when it comes to actually putting the ball in the net. Would be sad to see him go but it wouldn’t be the end of the world imo. 

Mains upturn in performance was after an op sorted out a longstanding injury I believe.

He's had a great season for us but we need more than 7 or 8 goals from a CF. Ayunga plus ? And Greive, who I hope will kick on next season. We might still be stuck with Brophy too. 

10 hours ago, elvis said:

Dunne will not be a loss he's s liability doesn't know how to keep his hands down week in week out.im sure we will find better than him.

Somewhat harsh Elvis, Dunne has been a big part of our successful season, yes he’s got some flaws to his game but for me he’s been superb in many games.

There won’t be any shortage of interested clubs for a left sided centre half of his ability.

9 minutes ago, medals said:

He's had a great season for us but we need more than 7 or 8 goals from a CF. Ayunga plus ? And Greive, who I hope will kick on next season. We might still be stuck with Brophy too. 

Grieve really flatters to deceive for me. Plenty of energy but a worrying lack of quality. He’s not able to run past players because he doesn’t have the pace, he doesn’t have the football IQ to make the runs needed in order to create chances for himself and he seems to get the ball tangled up in his feet 2 or 3 times a game even when he’s only on the pitch for 15 minutes. 

Ayungas injury came at a terrible time for him because I thought he was really starting to settle in and look like a player. He bullied Celtics CB pairing in that 2-0 win and had a few really good games after that. If we could tempt Watt back for next season and run with him, Ayunga, Grieve and A.N Other, as well as the young lads coming back from their loans, then I would be quite happy with that. Need to trust Robinson and his team to go out and find the right players to improve us if guys like Main and Dunne do leave. 

I'm hoping Brophy showed enough when he was fit at County to get a move out the door, even if they are relegated and that particular option doesn't materialise.

Best for all concerned if he moves on and gets a fresh start elsewhere IMHO.

I'd still be keen on keeping Watt as I reckon with a proper pre-season behind him he could be a real asset and Robinson knows, like he did with Main, how to get the best out of him.

16 minutes ago, Div said:

I'm hoping Brophy showed enough when he was fit at County to get a move out the door, even if they are relegated and that particular option doesn't materialise.

Best for all concerned if he moves on and gets a fresh start elsewhere IMHO.

I'd still be keen on keeping Watt as I reckon with a proper pre-season behind him he could be a real asset and Robinson knows, like he did with Main, how to get the best out of him.

Most of us are hoping Brophy moves on.

Watts been hot or cold at other clubs. He's not really added much in way of goals for us - YET. Just hope he does in these final 5 fixtures.

If he does, and we do get into Europe,  then we'd (most of us) like him here next season. 

In addition , someone with more pace up front and a killer instinct for goals would be magic.

1 hour ago, Div said:

You possibly might be able to make a more informed guess at it than me, but how comparable are Brophy and Watts wages to each other? I can’t imagine we are paying anyone at the club more than say £2.5k p/w, and I did hear rumours from some that Brophy was the highest paid at the club. Not a clue what Watt is earning at Dundee United? 3/4/5k per week?

With those back of a fag packet salary calculations it seems unlikely that we would be able to sign Watt permanently, unless he was willing to take a drop in pay along with us stretching our wage structure. 

I wonder how close Offord will be to playing regularly next season. We're not going to get anyone in who has a consistent record of scoring 15+ goals a season, so anyone will be a bit of a gamble as far as goals are concerned. Maybe Ayunga, Greive, Offord, plus one other will be enough.

Brophy could be back, I wouldn't be against it. I remember someone saying Henderson turned down a new contract, whilst not a striker I think he could have been used a bit further forward.

Brophy coming back would be very much a meh from me, even when he is fit it would often appear that he’s towing a caravan. Some players just don’t fit with certain clubs. He very much falls into that category for me.

I would much prefer him to move on and trust Robbo to unearth another gem like Ayunga from the English leagues.

41 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

If I was Robinson would do all I can to get in Joel Nouble as a replacement for Main.

Livi want close to 7 figures for the big man, I don’t think he’d be a realistic option for anyone in Scotland.

There's a few strikers in Scotland I'd like. Joel Nouble, Kevin van Veen, Dipo Akinyemi.

None of them affordable and the reason we brought a recruiter in is to go to places other clubs in our league may not be looking and pick out the next Nouble or KVV to do a job.

I'm not THAT worried about Dunne going. He's a good player despite what Elvis says and yes he has brain farts but most of them can be made up by the fact he's absolutely rapid. That, combined with a left peg will be pretty hard to replace. Main is a bit more of a quandry - his goals are definitely replaceable. I don't think 7 a season is too massive an ask for a guy who starts most weeks but the chaos factor he brings to us up top is a bit more of a sticking point. Got full confidence though we'll bring in a suitable alternative.

By my reckoning then, we're likely to lose Main, Dunne, Shaughnessy, Tait, Tanser, Henderson, (possibly) Brophy, maybe a few fringe players.

That's at lest 3 or 4 of our higher earners and presumably leaves a hefty chunk of budget to play with before the probable modest increase for the season ahead.