The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Led to believe that financially we are on track to hit pretty much break even or maybe even record a modest profit for this FY which ends at the end of this month.

That would be a terrific turnaround from the horrific set of numbers we saw last FY.

Caveat to that would of course be that we sold two players in January and had the unexpected windfalls of the Baccus World Cup money, insurance payout and the Celtic cup money. And a top six finish which was also ahead of budget no matter where we finally finish.

The club did say it would take two years to totally turn around the finances though so to have done it in one is still good news and very much a positive!

Looks like the manager is already well advanced with his recruitment plans for next season and I’m excited to see what rabbits he and Foyle can pull out of the hat for us this year.

Recruitment was incredible last Summer when all said and done.

13 minutes ago, Div said:

Led to believe that financially we are on track to hit pretty much break even or maybe even record a modest profit for this FY which ends at the end of this month.

That would be a terrific turnaround from the horrific set of numbers we saw last FY.

Caveat to that would of course be that we sold two players in January and had the unexpected windfalls of the Baccus World Cup money, insurance payout and the Celtic cup money. And a top six finish which was also ahead of budget no matter where we finally finish.

The club did say it would take two years to totally turn around the finances though so to have done it in one is still good news and very much a positive!

Looks like the manager is already well advanced with his recruitment plans for next season and I’m excited to see what rabbits he and Foyle can pull out of the hat for us this year.

Recruitment was incredible last Summer when all said and done.

That's not really a caveat though anymore. For us, pulling in no money in transfer fees these days would be the exception rather than the norm it used to be.

We also surely have significantly increased our turnover in terms of gate receipts which is more through good planning, advertising and performance than fortune.

Also am I not right in saying that the prize money recorded in the EoY accounts would be the prize money for 2021/22? It would need to be an uncharacteristically efficient turnaround to get that cash to us by end of May given the season finishes only 4 days before unless we budget it as assets due to us over the course of the coming year. 

Sort of true yeah.

The prize money is paid in tranches so the previous tranche we would have received already would have been based on our worst possible finish if that makes sense?

Probably would have been based on 7th or 8th finish I would guesstimate, can’t remember the timings of the payouts.

The final payment is obviously based on exactly where you finish but it’s not like all paid out in one giant lump is what’s really important.

Player sales are very much our business model, and there’s good reason to expect we may sell again this summer.

I’m totally cool with that, by polishing up rough diamonds we find from wherever and also hopefully continuing to produce our own at Ralston.

5 minutes ago, Div said:

Player sales are very much our business model, and there’s good reason to expect we may sell again this summer.

I'd be honestly shocked if we got through with both Baccus and Strain still on the books, I've a feeling one will be sold. Hopefully not both.

Also wonder if there is still interest from several parties over Murray Campbell. He is still only 16 after all and won't be 17 until around end of August I think?

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd be honestly shocked if we got through with both Baccus and Strain still on the books, I've a feeling one will be sold. Hopefully not both.

Also wonder if there is still interest from several parties over Murray Campbell. He is still only 16 after all and won't be 17 until around end of August I think?

Murray is off to Burnley I think. 

We are in a good contractual position with O’Hara but he is actually the one I expect to receive the most interest on.

Weaker hands on Strain and Baccus obviously.

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Anyway, Robinson puts it better than any of us when he says enough of all this shite. 

What's people's thoughts on the summer - the squad rebuild is already beginning in earnest it looks likes so who will go, who will be sold? How many do we need in terms of personnel and positions?

For me, I think Main, Dunne, Henderson, Tait, Brophy and Olusanya are all certs to go. Shaughnessy 50/50 at this point too. On top of this, I could definitely see Baccus or Strain being sold on if the right offer comes in. Then Watt and Small will go back to their parent clubs.

I also do get the feeling that certain players will be dropping back to squad players next season rather than regulars. Tanser, Fraser, Kiltie are the three I think will be mainly in this category.

As for players here, I reckon Boyd-Munce will get extended as we have the option on him and Robinson did say that this time would be used to get him up to fitness.

Jamieson, Fraser Taylor, Murray Campbell and CBM will be used more regularly next season.

For me that would leave us needing:

A right back (I've seen a few folk suggesting we may go back in the Newport lad we missed out on last season)

A left back - Lewis Strapp been mentioned by a few supporters - is he good enough to make the step up a division?

One, maybe two centre halves - Bid apparently already tabled for Bedeau, I can see another on top of him to be a regular starter in place of Marcus Fraser

One holding/defensive mid - Sule linked heavily from Larne

Attacking minded mid - Always needing that bit of creativity to unlock a defence

Two forwards - Linked currently with Kieran Bowie, Cole Stockton and of course the question remains of whether Watt will stay permanently.

So I make that 7 or 8 new faces in and somewhere between 7 and 10 on the way out. There will certainly be a few left-field signings though just like Baccus and Strain last season. If there isn't then our recruitment dude probably isn't doing his job!

Good work.

Be very surprised if Joe remains with us.

Given Baccus drop off I hope we can persuade him for a 1 year extension. 

Strapp is not good enough.

Stockton is a no but I wouldn't be surprised if SR wants Watt back. 

Expect Strain offers too.

Wouldn't be surprised if Small came back either as it suits both parties and he would come on leaps and bounds over a full season.

I think a some new names will emerge soon. No idea who, but hopeful a couple will be big improvements to what we had.

That compo face is priceless.

However, now pulling 240 1877 Club members into this petty vandetta is unacceptable.

With each move, the club is more and more justified in banning him.

His SMISA nomination must be pulled now.

Enough is enough.

Also, who has ever heard anyone calling Alan Wardrop “Mr St Mirren”? Nicknames are far less cool when you give them to yourself.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

21 minutes ago, medals said:

Good work.

Be very surprised if Joe remains with us.

Given Baccus drop off I hope we can persuade him for a 1 year extension. 

Strapp is not good enough.

Stockton is a no but I wouldn't be surprised if SR wants Watt back. 

Expect Strain offers too.

Wouldn't be surprised if Small came back either as it suits both parties and he would come on leaps and bounds over a full season.

I think a some new names will emerge soon. No idea who, but hopeful a couple will be big improvements to what we had.

Watt won't be back.

46 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

That compo face is priceless.

However, now pulling 240 1877 Club members into this petty vandetta is unacceptable.

With each move, the club is more and more justified in banning him.

His SMISA nomination must be pulled now.

Enough is enough.

Also, who has ever heard anyone calling Alan Wardrop “Mr St Mirren”? Nicknames are far less cool when you give them to yourself.

To be fair, it said some fans call him Mr St Mirren. Not sure who these fans are exactly, but it could just be lazy journalism. 

Still not a great look to go back to the papers, even though I don't believe he should have been banned.

Re the membership list, are we really that tinpot that the club doesn't have their own list of members and its scrawled on the back of a fag packet somewhere in Wardrop's gaffe? FFS.

The most important game of the season and we get more of Mr StMirren splashed over a national press release. 
The club are entirely justified in giving this guy a ban. Self interest and a huge ego at work here. 
This is such a bad look when everything else going on at the club has been very positive.