The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

17 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I think the timing is the main feature of the format that is under discussion 😜

Fair enough, I considered the grouping of teams to be the format of the competition and the timing to be separate. 

If you cant qualify out a group containing 4 worse sides than you then you shouldnt even name yourself as potential cup winners

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

If you cant qualify out a group containing 4 worse sides than you then you shouldnt even name yourself as potential cup winners

I don't think we can even call ourselves a football team just now never mind potential winners.We are that bad.

7 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Bit premature to say we can’t qualify from the group…😜

Im not saying you won't, just seen someone moaning that the group stage harms top flight teams chances of winning the cup.

So the News we have all been waiting for.

1st Top Striker was delayed travelling to us.

2nd there were some final details to resolve. e.g. He wants a bonus when he hits 50, 100 and 150 goals for us during his 3 year contract. With the option of a further year and a bonus at 200 goals, which includes automatic entry into our hall of fame.

3rd he was hungry so needed to get fed.

4th unveiling tomorrow. He's always wanted to be here and is proper fit to play on Saturday, saying "Robinson convinced me that St. Mirren are a proper good team and will be in Europe next season". He further added "if they give me the ball then I'll bang in the goals". 

5th during the photoshoot, in stead of the usual keepy-uppy, he asked all those pesent to stop him scoring. He dribbled past 4 of them before banging one in from 30 yards in the top corner. The best defender among them said, "he is better than Messi".

Apologies if you find this trite,  I'm only trying to cut the tension until its official.

Edited by medals

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You are spot on. You cannot win the cup if you don't progress from the group stages.

Point is us and you guys ought to be potential later stages of this cup - no excuses.

Yes, we have the easiest group too.

2 minutes ago, medals said:

2nd there were some final details to resolve. e.g. He wants a bonus when he hits 50, 100 and 150 goals for us during his 3 year contract. With the option of a further year and a bonus at 200 goals, which includes automatic entry into our hall of fame.

4th unveiling tomorrow. He's always wanted to be here and is proper fit to play on Saturday, saying "Robinson convinced me that St. Mirren are a proper good team and will be in Europe next season". He further added said "if they give me the ball and I'll bang in the goals". 

5th during the photoshoot, in stead of the usual keepy-uppy, he asked all those pesent to stop him scoring. He dribbled past 4 of them before banging one in from 30 yards in the top corner. The best defender among them said, "he is better than Messi".

Apologies if you find this trite,  I'm only trying to cut the tension until its official.

Appreciate but can we just get this done now lol

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im not saying you won't, just seen someone moaning that the group stage harms top flight teams chances of winning the cup.

I believe it doesn’t help, and as a fan of a top flight club (like yours) who can, and have won the thing in recent living memory, then yes, that is a concern for me. It doesn’t affect Celtic, The Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs. I think it actually gives the small clubs in the groups, who won’t harbour hopes of winning it under any format, a free shot at a somewhat not-up-to-speed top flight opponent. As I also have stated more than once too - I don’t expect fans of the wee diddies in the groups to give two flying fcuks about my opinion, and Montrose fans can, and indeed should, give me a huge big GIRFUY. 😎

To suggest the current format of the league cup negatively affects the results of top flight teams smacks of sour grapes. If anything it's weighted in our favour as it's seeded to give premiership teams the best possible chance of qualification.

19 minutes ago, thedees said:

lads, have st mirren announced much tickets are going to be this year? looked online but can only see season ticket prices. 

Season tickets were up this season no idea if that equates to away end rise in tickets . Need to wait for our first home league game should be on the clubs website a week before the game. 

32 minutes ago, medals said:

4th unveiling tomorrow. He's always wanted to be here and is proper fit to play on Saturday, saying "Robinson convinced me that St. Mirren are a proper good team and will be in Europe next season". He further added "if they give me the ball then I'll bang in the goals". 

Confused Season 9 GIF by The Office

1 hour ago, Mordecai said:

To suggest the current format of the league cup negatively affects the results of top flight teams smacks of sour grapes. If anything it's weighted in our favour as it's seeded to give premiership teams the best possible chance of qualification.

Indeed

On top if this, 8 of the starting 10 outfield players were here last season. One of the new players is guy we’ve spent decent money on and is an Irish international. The other has over 300 career appearances.

It’s a pretty settled side with 2 new very experienced recruits. 

We’re full time, we’ve been playing friendlies, our players are fit. 

We shouldn’t be blaming the timing of the group stage 

Edited by Captain_Sensible