The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, Ric said:

What is there to "get over", he is an ex player playing against us, it's not some sort of manic obsession that I have about him that makes me think he will try his best to stop his previous team. That is pretty much a given, and I really don't know why you are highlighting it as if it's weird. The same goes for Shaughnessy, as it did McGowan when he went there.

As for your reading of the le Fondre goal, go look at it again, Hemming was at fault. He was badly placed, something Div posted, and as a result did not get down to a shot that almost trickled into the goal. The point you seem to be missing is that I am not blaming Hemming for the goal, yes he was at fault, but the actual blame comes from the defending and that pass that split them. The foremost issue is that le Fondre found himself in that position with little defenders in his way, but that wasn't the only issue.

He should have been positioned better and his inexperience expected a blaster rather than a trickle. He should have been able to stop that and didn't. What I think people assume here is that I am chastising him solely. Not at all, the fault as I said above is from the defence not the keeper. The keeper absolutely should have done better, but you cannot blame the keeper for finding themselves in a position caused by his defence.

Edit: I have to make it really (REALLY!) clear here, yes I have been critical of us brining Hemming in as #1, but he's here now and that's just the way it is. I am not intentionally choosing to represent him unfairly. Almost every pundit making a comment on the first goal said he "perhaps could have done better". Please do not think this is some irrational dislike for the player.

Fair enough.

20 minutes ago, Ric said:

Sorry, I am probably being overly defensive here. If he does the job well, I'm happy to say I was wrong.

Aye, I think we all hope he does a job. No doubt we'll be revisiting frequently throughout the season.

1 hour ago, medals said:

This^^^. Taylor could have got back up quicker after winning the 1st duel but Goga as he was with the other goal, totally unaware of the striker, leaving them in space.

Add to that Tanser not getting anywhere near out to "his" man (you can see O'hara shouting at him) and it was just a bad goal from a few perspectives....

10 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Total fucking shite

No way should these games be moved just cos the opposition has a European game on the Thursday

Utter pish

One way of looking at it.

The way I see it, we have a not bad record playing sides coming off back of midweek European games and I'd much rather play Aberdeen on a Sunday post Europa League match than on a Saturday when they didn't have a European tie in the midweek.

A good opportunity to hit tired legs.

15 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Total fucking shite

No way should these games be moved just cos the opposition has a European game on the Thursday

Utter pish

That's the spirit - they send us to Paisley on the back of having to play in Sweden or Lithuania on the Thursday night and it's the St Mirren fan moaning about that situation !

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

One way of looking at it.

The way I see it, we have a not bad record playing sides coming off back of midweek European games and I'd much rather play Aberdeen on a Sunday post Europa League match than on a Saturday when they didn't have a European tie in the midweek.

A good opportunity to hit tired legs.

I’d much rather play Aberdeen on a Saturday regardless of whether they play in Europe midweek or not!

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

Aye, I think we all hope he does a job. No doubt we'll be revisiting frequently throughout the season.

Goalkeepers invariably come under the greatest criticism. One mistake that costs a goal and they get crucified. 
Outfield players can make numerous mistakes and not get the same amount of heat.

All of us need to support Zach through good times and bad. 

2 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

That's the spirit - they send us to Paisley on the back of having to play in Sweden or Lithuania on the Thursday night and it's the St Mirren fan moaning about that situation !

That’s the spirit, never mind the paying customer paying the wages, let’s rearrange games to allow the staff on inflated wages to get an extra days rest.

FFS

1 hour ago, weebud said:

Add to that Tanser not getting anywhere near out to "his" man (you can see O'hara shouting at him) and it was just a bad goal from a few perspectives....

Indeed.

There were three or four players who defended poorly in the lead up to the second goal.

As already mentioned, Taylor did well initially to defend the ball, got up very quickly, but was a bit disorientated, hence he wasn't close enough to Doidge. However, Gogic should have reached Doidge by then.

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

Goalkeepers invariably come under the greatest criticism. One mistake that costs a goal and they get crucified. 
Outfield players can make numerous mistakes and not get the same amount of heat.

All of us need to support Zach through good times and bad. 

Zach didn’t make any mistakes on Sunday.

At 3 inches shorter, there’s not a chance in hell that Carson would have saved Hibs’ first goal

And there’s zero chance he’d have set up the winner either.

Carson was average. Hemming is an upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

26 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Total fucking shite

Utter pish

The only surprising thing about this is why they are only now formally moving the game. Aberdeen were always going to be playing on that Thursday night.

12 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Carson was average. Hemming is an upgrade. 

:lol: .. I love a bit of "classic captain", that one there goes along with your "Rankin will sign for Saints" proclamation!

You're probably right about the distribution for the winning goal, but I'd contest that equals out the mistake for the first goal - although, as I said, the blame for that one isn't his.

Edited by Ric

4 hours ago, Drooper said:

You need to get over Carson.  He's gone, and he really wasn't that spectacular anyway.

Hemming wasn't at fault for the goal.  La Fondre had the goal at his mercy, the perfect angle to choose where he was placing the shot, and he stroked it away well.  Unless you expect a keeper to cover every square foot of his goal when one on one, it seems entirely unreasonable to hold him responsible for conceding the goal.

i FULLY agree about Carson, don't know why, but somehow I never warmed to the man, but I also have to agree with Ric that Hemming should have done better with the first goal, he was left wide open by his (lack of) defense certainly, but in reality, he was a mile slow in getting down, and after reviewing it several;l times you can tell he was beaten (in his head) before he dived, Hladky would have saved that, IMO of course, and that is why we have Forums, to voice opinions.

39 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

The only surprising thing about this is why they are only now formally moving the game. Aberdeen were always going to be playing on that Thursday night.

A. Why not play Aberdeen’s European game on a Weds - you know, just like they used to do for decades

B. Okay, whoever in charge doesn’t care less about domestic paying customers and arranges the Euro games for a Thurs night for no good reason - fine - but that’s playing in Europe for you. The domestic games shouldn’t be moved - and I’d be saying this even if it were us playing in Europe

C. Or, as you point out they already knew Aberdeen were going to play on the Thurs, then they should have switched the fixture round so the game was at Pittodrie on the Sunday and we get the game on the Saturday. Why are St Mirren season ticket holders getting mucked about for this? 

D. These are elite fecking athletes getting paid thousands per week. They should be more then capable of playing 2 games in 3 days! 

That’s my rant on the subject over 😜😆

Edited by Captain_Sensible

29 minutes ago, Ric said:

:lol: .. I love a bit of "classic captain", that one there goes along with your "Rankin will sign for Saints" proclamation!

You're probably right about the distribution for the winning goal, but I'd contest that equals out the mistake for the first goal - although, as I said, the blame for that one isn't his.

He didn’t make a mistake for the first goal IMO and there’s zero chance Carson is reaching that one regardless of how quickly he may or may not have gone down.

My views on Carson aren’t retrospective. I moaned about him at games all last season. He was average and he was too small. 😜

Rankin will sign - a blast from the past 😂

5 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

A. Why not play Aberdeen’s European game on a Weds - you know, just like they used to do for decades

B. Okay, whoever in charge doesn’t care less about domestic paying customers and arranges the Euro games for a Thurs night for no good reason - fine - but that’s playing in Europe for you. The domestic games shouldn’t be moved - and I’d be saying this even if it were us playing in Europe

C. Or, as you point out they already knew Aberdeen were going to play on the Thurs, then they should have switched the fixture round so the game was at Pittodrie on the Sunday and we get the game on the Saturday. Why are St Mirren season ticket holders getting mucked about for this? 

D. These are elite fecking athletes getting paid thousands per week. They should be more then capable of playing 2 games in 3 days! 

That’s my rant on the subject over 😜😆

Bizarre.