The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

51 minutes ago, medals said:

Yaaasss. Now a 3 nil win at Livi will be icing on the cake and we'll go clear at the top.

Mick Beale thinks he's going top of the league going into the international break, He's forgot that even if he manages to beat Celtic he has to hope that both St Mirren and Motherwell don't win. Guy is a moron.

Can I just make Ross County’s annual thanks, praise be and hallelujah to Alan Stubbs?  Even if St Mirren got a development fee, Stubbs’ inability to judge a player just earned Ross County north of a million quid for a £25,000 outlay on Ross Stewart.  

Admittedly the English transfer market is completely FUBAR, but still.  Not a great decision by numpty Stubbs.  

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Can I just make Ross County’s annual thanks, praise be and hallelujah to Alan Stubbs?  Even if St Mirren got a development fee, Stubbs’ inability to judge a player just earned Ross County north of a million quid for a £25,000 outlay on Ross Stewart.  

Admittedly the English transfer market is completely FUBAR, but still.  Not a great decision by numpty Stubbs.  

Tbf, this poor decision was just the tip of the iceberg. 

17 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Mick Beale thinks he's going top of the league going into the international break, He's forgot that even if he manages to beat Celtic he has to hope that both St Mirren and Motherwell don't win. Guy is a moron.

Yeah, the mentality on both sides is 'Above Them = top of the league'

26 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

To be fair, Jack Ross had shipped Stewart back to Alloa on loan for the second half of the previous season, preferring to go with Danny Mullen. 

And I don’t remember too many Saints fans complaining when we sold him to Ross County. Most were complaining instead about Cammy Smith getting dropped and Gavin Reilly not being signed…….

28 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

To be fair, Jack Ross had shipped Stewart back to Alloa on loan for the second half of the previous season, preferring to go with Danny Mullen. 

And I don’t remember too many Saints fans complaining when we sold him to Ross County. Most were complaining instead about Cammy Smith getting dropped and Gavin Reilly not being signed…….

It's almost as if the fans weren't being paid very good money to spot talent and develop our squad.

42 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's almost as if the fans weren't being paid very good money to spot talent and develop our squad.

Fans think they’re experts though (especially me!)

And Jack Ross was certainly paid good money to spot players. He did well to spot Stewart in the first place then dumped him for Danny Mullen! 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

Unfortunately for us Ross Stewart didn't really get many first team opportunities and when he did it was in a shite team and not in his best position.

I wasn't that bothered when he left. If we'd kept him then I wouldn't have been too disappointed either.

The fact that he got far more opportunity to play at RC in the championship allowed him to develop into the very good player that he is now.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Stubbs had the sheer brass neck to post on Twitter that it was Fitzy who was to blame for selling Ross Stewart for pennies. 
It must have been Fitzy that told an entire championship winning squad to bin their medals as none of them were good enough for his new look team.

He then proceeds to sign a team full of the worst non league dross signings I’ve ever had the misfortune to see. 
Stubbs is a shyster who will never manage again.

5 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Stubbs had the sheer brass neck to post on Twitter that it was Fitzy who was to blame for selling Ross Stewart for pennies. 
It must have been Fitzy that told an entire championship winning squad to bin their medals as none of them were good enough for his new look team.

He then proceeds to sign a team full of the worst non league dross signings I’ve ever had the misfortune to see. 
Stubbs is a shyster who will never manage again.

Baffling that some Hibs fans seem to hold him in high regard.  

Jack Ross put Ross Stewart on loan to Alloa because he wasn't ready to hold down a regular starting spot. He probably needed a spell in the Championship before being ready for the top flight, but rather than another loan to see how he got on we shipped him out for pennies. To be fair to the player he's improved considerably and that will be down to his attitude, as well as good coaching and games.

I suppose that sort of stuff will always happen in football, but it's the fact that Stubbs' replacements were all utter shite that sticks in the craw. We moved Shankland on in the January window in our great escape season but replaced him with Rory Loy who, at that moment in time, was a better option. There's not many Saints fans thinking Shankland is the one that got away.

27 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Jack Ross put Ross Stewart on loan to Alloa because he wasn't ready to hold down a regular starting spot. He probably needed a spell in the Championship before being ready for the top flight, but rather than another loan to see how he got on we shipped him out for pennies. To be fair to the player he's improved considerably and that will be down to his attitude, as well as good coaching and games.

I suppose that sort of stuff will always happen in football, but it's the fact that Stubbs' replacements were all utter shite that sticks in the craw. We moved Shankland on in the January window in our great escape season but replaced him with Rory Loy who, at that moment in time, was a better option. There's not many Saints fans thinking Shankland is the one that got away.

I remember thinking Ross defently had something about him he looked quite composed for a tall skinny forward . Was disappointed we let him go as proved to be the case. But that's football for you.