The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Ref Robbo leaving: A huge part of his decision will be European football next season. If we get into one of the tin-Pot competitions that'll offer us guaranteed European football past Christmas next year, then I think he'd stay, even if Aberdoon opened the chequebook for him. Can't be underestimated what a fucking quack their chairman is.

Phoning into Radio Scotland to puck a fight with a stranger, what a weirdo...!   what's wrong with coming on here and looking at a Dundee or St Johnstone thread...? 

With Burrows at Aberdeen there will always be a chance that Robinson will feature on their list.

I think the Goodwin failure would probably put Cormack off though. He absolutely cannot afford to get another appointment badly wrong and although it would be spectacularly unfair on Robbo, I think their fans would see an approach for him as just a repetition of the Goody mistake.

Cormack doesn't have any goodwill in the bank these days, he can't have the fans agitated about the new appointment from day one.

Same goes for McInnes - the majority of Dons fans would be furious if they went back in for him I reckon.

Besides - why would either of those fine fellas be interested in trading European football for a year in the Championship?

4 minutes ago, Div said:

With Burrows at Aberdeen there will always be a chance that Robinson will feature on their list.

I think the Goodwin failure would probably put Cormack off though. He absolutely cannot afford to get another appointment badly wrong and although it would be spectacularly unfair on Robbo, I think their fans would see an approach for him as just a repetition of the Goody mistake.

Cormack doesn't have any goodwill in the bank these days, he can't have the fans agitated about the new appointment from day one.

Same goes for McInnes - the majority of Dons fans would be furious if they went back in for him I reckon.

Besides - why would either of those fine fellas be interested in trading European football for a year in the Championship?

Oooooffffttt. You bitch. 😎

Hard to imagine Robbo’ being with us for a ‘Tommy Wright at St Johnstone’ length of time. Encouragingly, it would appear that the reason he wouldn’t be here for a decade, is that he’s doing well, and gets a bigger gig. The other reason St Mirren managers don’t see out a decade is because they’re Stubbs shite.

I’m relaxed about it all. Just as I am with players leaving. Modern fitba’, best not to get too hung up about it. Was a different ball game when Fergie left, or McGarvey / McAvennie / Fitzy / Clarke left…

Life would go on. We’d still be an attractive proposition and hopefully if not a Top 6 fixture, then at least not a perma-relegation shitfest club. We’d carry on, top 6 great, a wee cup run, great, but if not, them’s the breaks. If Robbo’ goes to Aberdeen, he’ll get two seasons, tops. Then Cormack cries his eyes out on social media (again), and says something about still not walking away, and promises the fans he’ll get it right… eventually.

Robbo’ should hang fire. The Norn Iron job would be a shoe-in at some point surely?

10 minutes ago, Div said:

I think it's only natural he has been linked. Robbo alongside McInness have done tremendous on similar budgets lower than that of some of the teams around us.

They have tried this approach already with Goodwin and it failed. They then employed from within and it failed and they have tried the tested veteran in Warnock and it has failed.

I can see them either appointing a left field option from overseas or look at what is available down south within their budget. Gary Monk who was just appointed Cambridge manager wouldn't have been a bad shout imo.

6 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

They have tried this approach already with Goodwin and it failed. They then employed from within and it failed and they have tried the tested veteran in Warnock and it has failed.

I think it's an attractive gig though.

Problems are clear - keeper and defense are rubbish. Midfield not helping there either.

Plenty of budget to sort things and manager wise you've nothing to beat in recent seasons.

So it should be easy to better results with a few key players and a bit of decent nous.

26 minutes ago, medals said:

I think it's an attractive gig though.

Problems are clear - keeper and defense are rubbish. Midfield not helping there either.

Plenty of budget to sort things and manager wise you've nothing to beat in recent seasons.

So it should be easy to better results with a few key players and a bit of decent nous.

If Robinson went to Aberdeen and found it difficult to better their current results then he’d want shooting. 😜

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I know exactly how this will go down, but Robinson wont get a bigger move until he actually achieves something notable. 

His best managerial achievement remains the 3rd place finish with Motherwell in the Covid season, or taking them to 2 cup finals in the same season.

For someone approaching 50 and almost 10 years into their coaching career, its not standing out.

Thats not me giving my opinion on his ability blah blah blah, its just that most clubs higher up will be viewing him as a mid-table Scottish Premiership manager.

Totally agree. He's just not sexy enough for a much bigger move, he's not the bright young thing, he's not won anything, he's not been a headline. He's a brilliant St Mirren level manager, but he's a bit like Tommy Wright was for St Johnstone, he's just not on the radar of many much bigger clubs. He's basically the managerial equivalent of Gogic. We love him, and are all worried he will leave, but realistically, the only place he's going is a similar club who are willing to pay him more money.

As much as Im a massive fan of Robbo I agree with Random guy, I think Robbo would need to do something out of the ordinary to get a move to the levels that would tempt him to leave us. 

One concern would normally be his former clubs (like McInnes with West Brom), but with the best will in the world Luton and Bournemouth aren't coming calling and agree with DJ that Cormack will be petrified of another poor appointment and the Dons fans just wouldn't take to Robbo going in so closely after Goodwin 

My hope is that English chairmen generally don't rate Scottish football and because of his uninspiring spells at Oldham and Morecambe, they probably think he's had his chance down there. 

Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts will hopefully all think they can do better than Robinson too. 

My main worry is Michael O'Neill continues to perform poorly (3 wins in their last 10, 2 of which were against San Marino, along with 7 defeats) and gets the sack. I'd imagine Robinson will be their number one target and going on things he's said in the past, if he's approached then he'll take the job. 

Maybe it’s because I’m not Northern Irish and I’m underestimating the  power of his patriotism, but the NI role sounds like a horrendous job to me. 
They’ve got nothing to pick from and have been shite for a good few years now.  

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Maybe it’s because I’m not Northern Irish and I’m underestimating the  power of his patriotism, but the NI role sounds like a horrendous job to me. 
They’ve got nothing to pick from and have been shite for a good few years now.  

The Scotland job was a poisoned chalice for many years.

Did certain managers use that role as a stepping stone for a bigger payday in club management?

Once Robbo leads us to European glory then we may have a problem! 😂 

From previous interviews (IIRC) Robbo is concerned that some club may decide to offer Diarmuid O'Carroll a managers role as he is highly respected in the game and is very ambitious. 

41 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

‘Hi Robbo’, it’s Dave Cormack here. Just testing the waters. Fancy it?’

33C49DBB-006B-4D7B-9042-7E0D56247CE3.jpeg

84A0C510-97E1-4A8E-A642-F3FE53243770.jpeg

Dying to draw a speech bubble from SR saying

"Not on your nelly, Saints in Europe. Then the Hearts job"

Edited by medals

55 minutes ago, Molotov said:

The Scotland job was a poisoned chalice for many years.

Did certain managers use that role as a stepping stone for a bigger payday in club management?

Once Robbo leads us to European glory then we may have a problem! 😂 

From previous interviews (IIRC) Robbo is concerned that some club may decide to offer Diarmuid O'Carroll a managers role as he is highly respected in the game and is very ambitious. 

Aye but despite a few years of abject shiteness, Scotland at least always have potential and regularly knocked on the door of qualification. Also arguably only Walter Smith and Alex McLeish benefitted from that plan of attack and not only did they both manage the best Scotland teams from 2000-2020, but also were already very experienced managers with track records. 
I reckon Pep could take the NI job and not get a tune out of them. They had one wee purple patch about 8 years ago and that’s the only time they’ve had anything since the 1986 World Cup. 

11 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Paper talk I hope so but given the fantastic job Robinson is doing speculation is something we will have to live with. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-robinson-lands-aberdeen-fc-32279623

FFS!!! Once again you post some shite and derail the whole thread down another rabbit hole🙄

2 hours ago, Stan Bo said:

One concern would normally be his former clubs (like McInnes with West Brom), but with the best will in the world Luton and Bournemouth aren't coming calling and agree with DJ that Cormack will be petrified of another poor appointment and the Dons fans just wouldn't take to Robbo going in so closely after Goodwin 

Kettlewell seems pretty safe for another year or so too

Haven't got the energy any more to get stressed every time the likes of Aberdeen and Hibs embark on their latest managerial crisis. If it was me, I'd want nothing to do with that shit show at Pittodrie, but ultimately money will always talk.

We have hounded Aberdeen three times this season and I'm confident we'd do it again given the opportunity. That alone can't have gone unnoticed.

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

For a club of our size, having a spell of success and 'outperforming' our status in Scottish football will always be a double-edged sword. Enjoy it while you can, because there will always be an underperforming club with a larger fanbase and a bigger budget waiting to plunder our assets.

If (or when) Robinson and O'Carroll are lured away from us I would hope that our Board would give serious consideration to appointing Ryan Flynn, who must have learned so much from Robinson about tactics, player recruitment, and the value of sheer hard work. The last thing I would want to happen when Robinson eventually moves on would be to bring in an outsider in his place with different ideas. What we're doing right now is working for us, it is continuity that we will need rather than change. 

You could say the same thing about Jamie Langfield.