The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

9 hours ago, GAD said:

I could see Dundee United offering Gogic stupid money TBF.

As I pointed out in the Dundee game thread, it was actually Goodwin who brought Gogic to the club on loan (albeit Goodwin left for Aberdeen about a month later).

I forgot we were due money for Gallagher if United got promoted. Is it really six figures?! Financial prudence alive and well at Tannadice.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I forgot we were due money for Gallagher if United got promoted. Is it really six figures?! Financial prudence alive and well at Tannadice.

Don't think there was ever any exact figure mentioned officially, but rumours at the time put the fee at anywhere between £50K and six figures.

Whatever it is, it's a nice wee bonus, which can help towards the cost of a new player or the new surfaces at the stadium and training ground.

Given the recent rumours, it would be lovely if we used some of it as an incentive for Gogic to sign a new contract.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Don't think there was ever any exact figure mentioned officially, but rumours at the time put the fee at anywhere between £50K and six figures

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Are we not due money from Dundee for Carson now as well? I'm sure there were survival bonuses involved.

It's just bonus after bonus being a Saints fan right now. 🤩

Whatever we do with our funds, may the recent successes continue.

We done to the team and management for the tactics and result at the weekend.

Go on get us another next weekend too.

Posted (edited)
On 05/05/2024 at 09:43, djchapsticks said:

And this was what I was getting at a few weeks ago. That if he wants far more than we are able or willing to pay, we shouldn't push the boat out to make it happen. Gogic is already one of our highest is not highest paid player. Getting into a bidding war with a club who have a history of proving they'll overspend to get what they want is a path to ruin.

Unfortunately one poster in particular took a bit of umbrage with the 'let's be realistic, he's not worth THAT' approach though and has since decided I want Gogic gone which couldn't be further from the truth.

No I just feel given the team Robinson has built around Gogic it would be a huge loss if he left. That said he is the one player in the team who deserves to go and make some money. I’m not saying we should bankrupt ourselves but I’d be offering him our very best deal. You and a couple of others suggested it would be silly to go overboard which I agree but i felt you didn’t think he was as good As some said. I’d say he’s came roaring back onto form since then and seeing as he’s played every game this year I’d say he’s almost always a 7/8 out of ten and we need to try and keep him. I imagine the fact that Dundee United are a bigger club with bigger pockets could be a potential for him but I’d hope he went abroad as to see him play against us would be quite painful. Anyhow if he goes then I’m sure we’d all wish him the v best his commitment and never say die attitude have been a pleasure to watch and he epitomises everything our manager wants us to be 

Edited by Norrie82

8 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Vote Lord Bin Face Buddies 😂

The really scary thing about that was all the comments from SNP supporters who were offended.

If he ever does decide to stand in Scotland, i wanr to be his election agent.

49 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

No I just feel given the team Robinson has built around Gogic it would be a huge loss if he left. That said he is the one player in the team who deserves to go and make some money. I’m not saying we should bankrupt ourselves but I’d be offering him our very best deal. You and a couple of others suggested it would be silly to go overboard which I agree but i felt you didn’t think he was as good As some said. I’d say he’s came roaring back onto form since then and seeing as he’s played every game this year I’d say he’s almost always a 7/8 out of ten and we need to try and keep him. I imagine the fact that Dundee United are a bigger club with bigger pockets could be a potential for him but I’d hope he went abroad as to see him play against us would be quite painful. Anyhow if he goes then I’m sure we’d all wish him the v best his commitment and never say die attitude have been a pleasure to watch and he epitomises everything our manager wants us to be 

The problem is we've then set a precedent and other players might start demanding more. It's difficult, as I agree Gogic has been amazing, but I would rather the club was financially solvent and lived with in its means and that will inevitably result in the loss of good players, unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

The problem is we've then set a precedent and other players might start demanding more. It's difficult, as I agree Gogic has been amazing, but I would rather the club was financially solvent and lived with in its means and that will inevitably result in the loss of good players, unfortunately.

Yup. It has ever been thus and losing those players never seems to get any less disappointing/annoying.

Back in the day, I remember being devastated as a young lad to lose players like McGarvey, McAvennie and Clarke, but the blow was softened massively by the fact they all went to top English sides. I never could and never will get used to losing players to the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee United or Hibs. I know their spending power is greater than ours but it still sticks in the craw. 

But you’re right, as much as it pains me to say it, we’re better keeping our house in order, even if it means losing players to our competitors.

Doesn’t seem that long ago that we regarded Gogic as a loan deal who was never going to sign with us longer term anyway. If it is true that Dundee United are about to throw ‘daft money’ at him and we won’t compete - then I won’t lose any sleep over it whatsoever. Firstly, obviously, because you can’t do anything about it anyway, so why get annoyed, and secondly, because there was life before him, and we’ll carry on after him. Just as we will should Strain & Baccus depart too. Would Gogic get a decent welcome, should he return in tangerine? Probably mild round of applause first time he ventured near the West Bank, then absolutely nothing. Just another player we want to see gubbed.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Would I take him back on loan in January when he's fallen out with their new manager and they're seven adrift at the bottom? Aye, go on.

We’ll use our European group stage money in January on better than Gogic. Now, where are my tablets? Nurse!

Was looking up the cost of a grass pitch average cost is £120,000 so around £240,000 for two pitches. Gallagher money and our higher league position should I would think cover that cost. 

11 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yup. It has ever been thus and losing those players never seems to get any less disappointing/annoying.

Back in the day, I remember being devastated as a young lad to lose players like McGarvey, McAvennie and Clarke, but the blow was softened massively by the fact they all went to top English sides. I never could and never will get used to losing players to the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee United or Hibs. I know their spending power is greater than ours but it still sticks in the craw. 

But you’re right, as much as it pains me to say it, we’re better keeping our house in order, even if it means losing players to our competitors.

Though I was disappointed to see these players go , I always saw these transfers  as an opportunity to improve the squad as we got a decent transfer fee . The best example being McGarvey leaving and Somner and McDougall being bought with the transfer fee . Unfortunately when Gogic goes there's no transfer fee . That said I'm confident we will have a decent replacement coming in .

43 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Though I was disappointed to see these players go , I always saw these transfers  as an opportunity to improve the squad as we got a decent transfer fee . The best example being McGarvey leaving and Somner and McDougall being bought with the transfer fee . Unfortunately when Gogic goes there's no transfer fee . That said I'm confident we will have a decent replacement coming in .

And that’s the main difference these days. We get buttons for our players if anything at all. 

Gogic, 3 year deal according to Scott Burns. 

What a deal that is. Don't think many will argue it's been him or Tanser for our player of the year