The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Good singing. Lessens the blow of losing Strain. Different player, Strain has a bit more guile but got to imagine you'll get 90mins every week out of Rooney

Just now, houston_bud said:

Good singing. Lessens the blow of losing Strain. Different player, Strain has a bit more guile but got to imagine you'll get 90mins every week out of Rooney

I said this exact thing a few weeks ago.

6ft3, likes to get forward, chips in with goals but will almost always give you a full 90. Technically not as strong as Strain but definitely will be more available.

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Shaun Rooney signs! Wow!

Almost 28, 6 ft 3 and a great engine.

I'm a wee bit surprised he didn't kick on better in his career... until now.

Welcome to the party.

I think that pretty much confirms Strain leaving now with Elvis and Rooney signing. As dissapointing as him not resigning, its good to see the club also not messing about. 

Will we keep Baccus or Hemming is the question now?

46 minutes ago, medals said:

Giza big signing nooow

26 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Shaun Rooney signs! Wow!

20 minutes... does this count as a big signing?

Rooney should be a great signing now that he's finally here - remember him being on trial with us under Ian Murray. Good to get that position sorted early.

Thank god I was out last night. When I saw the score for the first time it was 2-2 and I was unimpressed so can only imagine how it was for those who'd been following it from the start. Glad it's done and dusted and we can relax a bit tonight. Hope Baccus and Strain can get a nice send off.

I don't care that it's the Conference, that we'll probably get some team I've never heard of and I don't care that they'll inevitably pump us (well, maybe hold off on that last one), seeing us in Europe was one of the few things left on my Saints bucket list. Winning the Scottish Cup and one of our current players representing Scotland are probably the only things left on it now.

Just a shame that my dad's not been around to enjoy the last couple of years and I imagine pretty much everyone else on here can think of folk who are sadly no longer with us to experience this.

On 08/05/2024 at 11:14, Coventry Saint said:

I hope we are at least asking Shaun Rooney the question. Proper wingbacks are hard to find.

On 08/05/2024 at 11:20, Ric said:

After his time down in the English leagues, would he not be looking for a bigger wage than we can offer?

On 08/05/2024 at 11:31, Coventry Saint said:

Nah, we're absolutely massive now.

It's nice to have your massiveness confirmed on a Wednesday morning.

(Only quoting @Ric to show the full conversation.)

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, medals said:

Almost 28, 6 ft 3 and a great engine.

I'm a wee bit surprised he didn't kick on better in his career... until now.

Welcome to the party.

He's a fucking idiot, that's why. He joined Fleetwood Town entirely because Scott Brown was manager, despite there being better and more sensible clubs to join.

He'll be great for you and better than Strain IMO.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

He's a fucking idiot, that's why. He joined Fleetwood Town entirely because Scott Brown was manager, despite their being better and more sensible clubs to join.

He'll be great for you and better than Strain IMO.

Out of interest apart from us, who else were interested at the time he went to Fleetwood?

I'm pretty happy with this signing. Get's forward, has aerial presence at set pieces and chips in with goals. Strain must have been given a cut off date and that time has now passed for him to ponder on it.

If rumours are to believed he very nearly signed for us before joining Fleetwood. Wondered if we'd be back in for him this summer, he should be a good signing.

4 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Out of interest apart from us, who else were interested at the time he went to Fleetwood?

I'm pretty happy with this signing. Get's forward, has aerial presence at set pieces and chips in with goals. Strain must have been given a cut off date and that time has now passed for him to ponder on it.

Naw, I think Strain will have said he's not signing. It's a nice clean exit for everyone.

5 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

From memory Charlton, Hull, Rotherham and Wigan are the ones I remember being linked.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If rumours are to believed he very nearly signed for us before joining Fleetwood. Wondered if we'd be back in for him this summer, he should be a good signing.

Rumours that were complete fantasy. He was always going to England after leaving us, unless Celtic made a move (which would never happen).