The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I fly back from Las Vegas on the 24th of July and land in Glasgow in the early hours of the 25th, which is the date of the first leg. Does anyone know if we are due to be either home or away on that date, or is that still to be decided when the draw gets made? Hopefully we get a team that plays somewhere that’s on nodding terms with a decent sized airport, and is also accessible from Glasgow or Edinburgh 

We won't know if we're at home or away on that date til the draw itself. 

Away leg first please, away leg first please, away leg first please… does this sort of plea/prayer to the God of balls in a bowl ever actually work?

• djchapsticks changed the title to The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread
22 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I'm the total opposite don't want a Welsh or Irish team. The Welsh clubs have tiny capacities and we wouldn't get anywhere near enough tickets. Ireland meh seen Saints there several times before. Give us a proper European away trip please.

It's most likely I will get to just the one away even if we progress, so something abroad would be more appealing. Hibs got Luzern of Switzerland in 3rd round last year i'm sure. Could live with that.

Posted (edited)

An Andorra team (who Hibs got at this round last year) would be excellent. Should win (I know Hibs didn't but that team they played were one of the worst teams I've ever seen and they're Hibs), weather should be nice and you can base yourself in Barcelona then head to Andorra for the game. 

Edited by saintmurn

14 minutes ago, saintmurn said:

An Andorra team (who Hibs got at this round last year) would be excellent. Should win (I know Hibs didn't but that team they played were one of the worst teams I've ever seen and they're Hibs), weather should be nice and you can base yourself in Barcelona then head to Andorra for the game. 

Ah that's right, there was a video of Hibs fans in the away end shouting abuse at the players and Lee Johnson, forgot about that. I'm guessing Luzern was the next round up followed by Villa.

3 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

When is the draw?

June 19th. Same day Scotland play Switzerland in Cologne.

Posted (edited)
On 26/05/2024 at 12:15, Billy Jean King said:

I'm the total opposite don't want a Welsh or Irish team. The Welsh clubs have tiny capacities and we wouldn't get anywhere near enough tickets. Ireland meh seen Saints there several times before. Give us a proper European away trip please.

When we played the game we don't speak about, it was moved to Rhyl. We basically had the whole town and stadium to ourselves.

Was a great day(s) out tbh. Home leg, not so much.

Edited by Pizzo

Posted (edited)

Just make sure you have all your players signed up before Europe. That was the single biggest factor for our downfall in some ties, having to play reserves/youngsters. It's a hard balancing act from thinking you'll do alright to realising you're nowhere near ready to be playing competitive football, mainly because your season hasn't really started. Get an easy tie in first, then prepare for a proper European trip, enjoy.

Edit: oh aye, prepare for some right dirty b*****ds that can do the very ugly side of the game extremely well. They're c***s.

Edited by tree house tam

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Edit: oh aye, prepare for some right dirty b*****ds that can do the very ugly side of the game extremely well. They're c***s.

Our last home game against Kilmarnock a couple of weeks ago should stand us in good stead then….

Relax Killie fans, relax. You did a job on us, fair do’s. Only kidding, etc. 😜

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Just make sure you have all your players signed up before Europe. That was the single biggest factor for our downfall in some ties, having to play reserves/youngsters. It's a hard balancing act from thinking you'll do alright to realising you're nowhere near ready to be playing competitive football, mainly because your season hasn't really started. Get an easy tie in first, then prepare for a proper European trip, enjoy.

We're relatively lucky in that we are needing probably three more signings. Only 4 permanent players and three loan signings have left (only 3 in Hemming, Baccus and Strain were regular starters) and Robinson has already moved to replace two of them early doors so we are probably in the best shape I can remember in terms of rebuilding.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

We're relatively lucky in that we are needing probably three more signings. Only 4 permanent players and three loan signings have left (only 3 in Hemming, Baccus and Strain were regular starters) and Robinson has already moved to replace two of them early doors so we are probably in the best shape I can remember in terms of rebuilding.

I know its unreal right?

Despite that we've got less than a month to preseason training then a few weeks to that 1st euro tie.

So a few more in place before late June and it would be great all round.

2 hours ago, medals said:

I know its unreal right?

Almost unsettlingly so. Not used to a level of competence and planning like this.

Was it really only 4 years ago we had a literal full bus load of French 3rd division trialists playing in a friendly?

5 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Our last home game against Kilmarnock a couple of weeks ago should stand us in good stead then….

Relax Killie fans, relax. You did a job on us, fair do’s. Only kidding, etc. 😜

I've seen some truly dirty c***s in games. For St Johnstone and against them, but nothing compares to Minsk.

Not sure if it's the teams or the referees, but it's the most infuriating experience ever and even the most "street smart" sides in Scotland look naive.

We had Steven Anderson have his nose broken by a clear elbow smash, but the play acting by the guy who done it was so good they got a free kick and Anderson got booked.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've seen some truly dirty c***s in games. For St Johnstone and against them, but nothing compares to Minsk.

Not sure if it's the teams or the referees, but it's the most infuriating experience ever and even the most "street smart" sides in Scotland look naive.

We had Steven Anderson have his nose broken by a clear elbow smash, but the play acting by the guy who done it was so good they got a free kick and Anderson got booked.

Any idea if there's VAR in the qualifying rounds? That may help combat some of that.

22 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Any idea if there's VAR in the qualifying rounds? That may help combat some of that.

Quick Google search suggests its only forced from the Play-Off onwards, so you wouldn't have it for the qualifying rounds.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Almost unsettlingly so. Not used to a level of competence and planning like this.

Was it really only 4 years ago we had a literal full bus load of French 3rd division trialists playing in a friendly?

5 years ago away to Stenhousemuir. Only Oan  Djorkaeff signed permanently and he was pish.

Posted (edited)

Trying to think of the most ‘dirty kuntos’ game I’ve ever seen St Mirren in, and I still think it was a pre-season ‘friendly’. Oxford United, wasn’t it? Funny that, I really can’t remember too many mental out-of-control games. None of our 1980s European opponents were dirty hackers. Motherwell ‘77 and Hearts ‘86 were hardly choirboys, but equally, it wasn’t Leeds v Chelsea 1970. 😕

Edited by pozbaird

18 hours ago, tree house tam said:

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can already feel my piss boiling at the prospect. When I first read these posts I was thinking it's no different to playing Rangers or Celtic, but actually... Our domestic game bestows a level of entitlement upon those teams and they arguably don't have to be that sneaky to get the decisions they want. 

I'm fully braced now and (genuinely) appreciate the warnings.