The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Mildly amusing some think friendly games are competitive. Who wants to get injured with European games coming up. Avoided friendly games years ago why travel in my case to a home game for players to get minutes under their belt. 

9 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The knickerwetters seem to love a meaningless friendly defeat or a draw.😀

I think very very few people get uptight over friendly results anymore to be honest. 

I wonder why Rooney has been subbed at half time? For those there I'm assuming he started right of the back 3? Brown LWB and Elvis right? Also how did big Urminsky play? 

Let me think if my knickers are as moist as a BBC pundit dreaming about Harry Kane lifting the cup tomorrow…. Undefeated in three, two clean sheets, looking forward to Europe while today, bottom six diddies like Aberdeen, Hibs, and Motherwell are running around in the League Cup group stages…

…My underwear is resolutely dry and entirely unsoiled. 

7 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

I think very very few people get uptight over friendly results anymore to be honest. 

I wonder why Rooney has been subbed at half time? For those there I'm assuming he started right of the back 3? Brown LWB and Elvis right? Also how did big Urminsky play? 

Urminsky makes Hemming look commanding at corners.

25 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Agree totally but unfortunately it’s the only chance we get to compare the standard. 

It's very unwise to read anything into glorified training sessions played when teams are gathering fitness and settling players in.

People talk about friendlies because there's nothing else to talk about, but reading anything into results, positive or negative, is a waste of time.

20 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's very unwise to read anything into glorified training sessions played when teams are gathering fitness and settling players in.

People talk about friendlies because there's nothing else to talk about, but reading anything into results, positive or negative, is a waste of time.

This. The only people who should be worrying about results at this time of year are Dundee United and Morton fans.

17 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Urminsky makes Hemming look commanding at corners.

For such a big guy he seems to physically shrink when the ball is crossed in. I've not seen him play much, but from what I have seen, I would be very anxious if Balcombe got injured.

Looked quite rusty today, though positive was Smyth was excellent. We also need to get Ethan signed on a long term contract, the boy looks class.

Four attempts on target today and four goals. Fleetwood looked match-ready, we were very ring rusty and slow to react at times. We have a few new players and we haven't gelled as a team yet. Our season starts in 12 days time so things need to pick up very soon. Any Albanian "spies" watching today have learned nothing about us.

Hopefully we'll witness a better performance against Carlisle on Friday. 

18 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

This weekend last year:

St Mirren 0-1 Arbroath

Pampers well and truly required for some on here..... went onto qualify for Europe of course.

Yeah but we spanked them 4-0 the following week eh? 😄

Fleetwood Town drew 2-2 with Scottish Premiership side St. Mirren at St. Mirren Park on Saturday, with the hosts grabbing a late equaliser. 

It was a fast start to the game for Fleetwood, who scored in the opening nine minutes thanks to forward Ronan Coughlan. The hosts equalised in the second half through Oisin Smyth.

Junior Quitirna’s glancing header made it 2-1 with just over ten minutes left, however, Lewis Jamieson got the hosts back level for a second time with a tidy finish minutes from the end.

There was a familiar name in the St. Mirren starting eleven, with former defender Shaun Rooney playing for the Saints in their back three, and he got a standing ovation from the hundred travelling Cods in the North Stand.

The match did start off fairly evenly, with the hosts having a bright start, putting Town on the back foot, but five minutes in, it was the visitors who had the first meaningful shot on target.

Summer signing Mackenzie Hunt did well on the left flank to find a yard of space, and with bodies in the box, he tried to catch the keeper out and he nearly did. Urminsky did superbly well to back-track and keep the ball out.

Town did take the lead in the 9th minute of the match through Coughlan. The former Waterford FC man got on the end of Johnston’s cross after a well-worked team move from back to front.

Fleetwood’s head coach Charlie Adam will have been very pleased with his sides performance in the opening quarter, taking the game to the opponents – who were playing their third friendly, with this only being Town’s second.

The Saints thought they had equalised midway through the half through forward Mikael Mandron, but to the fans disappointment, their number nine could only find the side netting from close range – a let off for Town.

Hunt nearly made it two for the visitors after he got on the edge of Johnston’s cross inside the 18-yard box, but the former Everton man couldn’t keep his effort down to trouble the keeper.

The gaffer made three changes at the break with Jay Lynch, Phoenix Patterson and Ryan Broom coming on for Johnston, Hunt and David Harrington – who didn’t have too much to do in the first half.

Town started off the second half brightly, just like they did int he first. Lonergan utilised his pace and beat his man on numerous occasions, and when he got a yard of space, he looked for Coughlan – who just saw the ball intercepted before he could tap home from close range.

Just after the hour mark Town made more changes, with eight coming on (see the team list below) and it seemed to disrupt the rhythm of their play. Potter gave away a free-kick and it was Smyth who scored directly from the free-kick to beat Lynch at his near post.

Substitute Quitirna gave Fleetwood Town the lead again in the 68th minute. After Patterson’s peach of a delivery, the two linked up with the playmaker glancing his header towards the far post, giving the keeper no chance of saving it.

There were chances at the end of both teams, but it was the Saints who capitalised on there one late chance. Jamieson levelled things up three minutes from time with a cute finish inside the box.

Town remain unbeaten in their opening two pre-season friendlies after a win at Bamber Bridge, and Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Scottish Premiership side, St. Mirren.

A big thanks to St. Mirren for their hospitality. We wish you all the best for the 2024/25 season.

Town XI: Harrington (GK), (Lynch, 46′), Wiredu (C), Bolton (Hughes, 62′), Medley (Potter, 62′), Johnston (Broom, 46′), Bonds (Morrison, 62′), Virtue (Dolan, 62′), Mayor (Trialist, 62′), Hunt (Patterson, 46′), Coughlan (Graydon, 62), Lonergan (Quitirna, 62′).

St. Mirren XI: Urminsky (GK), O’Hara (C), Mandron, Idowu, Gogic, Boyd-Munce, Rooney (R. Taylor, 46′), Olusanya (Jamieson, 77′), Brown, Fraser, Bwomono.

20 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

This weekend last year:

St Mirren 0-1 Arbroath

Pampers well and truly required for some on here..... went onto qualify for Europe of course.

How did we do in the season following Jack Ross’ Sunderland ripping us a new Jordan Pickford, and their fans taunting us with ‘how shite must you be, we’re winning away’?

One more signing in over the weekend according to Robbo interview and that's the squad set.

Have to imagine that will be a defensive player. Wouldn't surprise if there was a loan attacker brought in near the end of the window. Robbo seemed confident it was a done deal

Edited by Stan Bo