The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

11 minutes ago, medals said:

So this is the game I'm speaking about.

The issue for many fans is that they do not want us overstretching.

While a guy with huge potential can be purchased, there is no guarantee he won't have a terrible injury prone season or two or see out his contract and go for zilch.

It's a dilemma allright.

Worst case - it could break you.

Best case - you become established top 6, with regular europen football.

However, Hearts, ourselves and Hibs have proved how hard it is to become "established top 6" this last 10 years or so, never mind the 2 Dundee outfits.

12 minutes ago, medals said:

So this is the game I'm speaking about.

The issue for many fans is that they do not want us overstretching.

While a guy with huge potential can be purchased, there is no guarantee he won't have a terrible injury prone season or two or see out his contract and go for zilch.

Plenty of clubs have speculated to accumulate and had it go wrong. It can work but recruitment needs to be spot on, otherwise saddled with expensive duds or players who just wait for the contract to expire. 

32 minutes ago, AW saint said:

On other news Kwon is off to Hibs

Kwon is a good signing for Hibs. Disappointed we didn't get him back. 

19 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

difficult

19 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate.

With Hibs seemingly in a bit of a mess, this might be the Buddies time to take over in the top 6, by spending a bit of money and even overstretching themselves, even if only for a couple of seasons. Another season of european football would be phenomenal for them, although it seems to be incredibly difficult lately for non-OF teams to get two successive seasons of european football (apart from the third farce, of course).

It's the speculate part of that which will always be difficult for a club like ours. We're trying to up our game in that regard, and have paid more for players over the past few years that we have for ages. Even then, we've seen apparently sellable assets moving on for little or nothing because they've just seen their contracts out.

But as @SS77 says, either way, there's no chance we're spending more than, say, 250k on a player. 

9 minutes ago, medals said:

I don't think it's a done deal yet...

Would love to have him back although I think Adeniran will prove to be a better option once fully bedded in. I also think we need a striker first. 

41 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Would love to have him back although I think Adeniran will prove to be a better option once fully bedded in. I also think we need a striker first. 

If MOH has the same injury hassles as last year then Kwon would be a very important option along with Dennis at least in some games.

As things stand, with O'H out, Dennis is our best option in that role where we had two players providing strong cover to our defence last year.

Having lost both Kwon and Baccus, I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

We'll always want better goalscorers but ours aren't hitting blanks all the time.

9 games this season including pre-season - 4 wins, 4 draws and 1 defeat. 16 goals for and 9 against. 

I'd like us to be losing less goals, although 4 of those were in the pre-season bounce matches.

Edited by medals
Added last paragraph

26 minutes ago, medals said:

If MOH has the same injury hassles as last year then Kwon would be a very important option along with Dennis at least in some games.

As things stand, with O'H out, Dennis is our best option in that role where we had two players providing strong cover to our defence last year.

Having lost both Kwon and Baccus, I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

We'll always want better goalscorers but ours aren't hitting blanks all the time.

9 games this season including pre-season - 4 wins, 4 draws and 1 defeat. 16 goals for and 9 against. 

I'd like us to be losing less goals, although 4 of those were in the pre-season bounce matches.

Too late deal with Hibs confirmed. He has signed a loan deal. 

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Too late deal with Hibs confirmed. He has signed a loan deal. 

Unless he has injuries,  he'll be a great signing for them.

If they add McCowan, having already got Bowie it will kick them on.

However, keeper and defence still suspect there.

This doesn't mean we won't find someone else though.

21 minutes ago, medals said:

Unless he has injuries,  he'll be a great signing for them.

If they add McCowan, having already got Bowie it will kick them on.

However, keeper and defence still suspect there.

This doesn't mean we won't find someone else though.

I know it’s still early days, but I’m not convinced by the Hibs keeper either. All their big money buys could be undermined if he doesn’t cut it.

Would have been happy to see Kwon come back. The league as whole seems better this year, us included. I would like to see another couple come in but not just to make up the numbers, that may need to see a couple go out.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

7 league goals and signed from God knows what tier of English non-league and he has a half million buy out clause  😅🤣😅.

What's Toyo worth ???

Toy is priceless. We are up against it if he gets injured. 

2 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

I'm not sure 2 rounds worth of cash will make any difference to you. Lets be honest 😆

Weird St. Mirren obsessed sheep on our thread spouting ill informed nonsense.

2 hours ago, SS77 said:

It’s about £900k plus whatever money we’ve made from TV, gate receipts etc. It’s a lot of money for a club of our size.

Thank you for illustrating the point I was making i.e. would we be prepared to splash a large proportion of the cash we’ve made on one player? Doubt it. 

If we had a wad of cash I doubt we'd spend it all on one player. And as history has shown spending money does not guarantee success. Clubs with incomes well in excess of us were very disappointing last season. We spent a lot on Brophy and that was a financial disaster. And any spare cash we do have a percentage should go to extending Robinson's contract as he is the most important employee we have and our greatest asset.

Edited by NorthBank

Just now, NorthBank said:

.We spent a lot on Brophy and that was a financial disaster. 

Disaster is hyperbole.

Signed him for nothing, gave him 2 season's wages and sold him for a six figure fee.

A financial loss maybe but hardly a disaster.

I wonder how many of the folk suggesting we should spend £500k were the same guys accusing the kibble of trying to kill the club by budgeting for 7th?

For St Mirren to spend anything like £500k on a player it would need to be for an absolute star, someone we'd expect not only to be a stick on first pick every week, but someone we could sell for a couple of million later on.

3 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

I'm not sure 2 rounds worth of cash will make any difference to you. Lets be honest 😆

Already 900k , 1.3m if we get through Thursday , 5m minimum if we reach group stage !