The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

32 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd imagine any cash for Carson would be set aside for a permanent replacement. Can't see us going with Urminsky and an on loan Hemming as only two senior goalies at the club.

You would hope so long term, though it would be interesting to find out what was sold to Hemming to come up on loan. You are backup/ you are our new number one/ or we are looking to bring in one more goalie for you to compete with? He was playing second fiddle for a good bit at Killie so it would seem pointless for him to move back up here to do similar imo.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Sometimes, you do just get a player who is playing at far too low a level for their ability (my favourite one of those ever was Lee Trundle at Swansea) and McMenamin sounds like one of those guys.

And whats the alternative?

Any consistent goalscoring winger in Scotland will cost more, while any consistent goalscoring winger in England will stay down there.

Youre signing a prime age goalscoring winger whos done it over multiple seasons and is approaching his peak. 

In terms of punts, which all signings are, he seems an incredibly smart one to make. He could flop but i think you still accept the logic behind it was sound.

7 hours ago, JimmyMirren said:

Was it not the board’s usual price of 50p and a couple of caramel Freddos?

I may have had a humour bypass this morning, but it gets quite boring seeing posts like this when you look at our dealings overall.

People seem to fixate on the odd deal that we have undersold a player, in order to suit their agenda. However, when you look at it over the piece, especially given our last three or four players we've sold, we have done pretty well with what we've received.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd imagine any cash for Carson would be set aside for a permanent replacement. Can't see us going with Urminsky and an on loan Hemming as only two senior goalies at the club.

As much as I hope you're right, I can't see Middlesbrough (and Hemming) being happy with him coming on loan just to sit on the bench. 

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And whats the alternative?

Any consistent goalscoring winger in Scotland will cost more, while any consistent goalscoring winger in England will stay down there.

Youre signing a prime age goalscoring winger whos done it over multiple seasons and is approaching his peak. 

In terms of punts, which all signings are, he seems an incredibly smart one to make. He could flop but i think you still accept the logic behind it was sound.

Agreed.

Interestingly, this would be the largest initial outlay on a player that we have made in over 30 years. In 1991 we shelled out £150k for Roy Aitken and £125k on Chic Charnley.

We haven't had a six figure spend on a player since then which sounds incredible but shows just how woeful our finances had been for years and how risk averse we've become as a club. 

However, if we wish to stay on the path we're on, it's right in what you say that we can't rely on players from Scotland and England as we'd simply be priced out of the market. Its totally new territory for me as a Saints fan to see a manager backed in the manner he is being and I hope it does pay off.

42 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I may have had a humour bypass this morning, but it gets quite boring seeing posts like this when you look at our dealings overall.

People seem to fixate on the odd deal that we have undersold a player, in order to suit their agenda. However, when you look at it over the piece, especially given our last three or four players we've sold, we have done pretty well with what we've received.

Aye, maybe. I think the original poster was referring to the previous board/owners. You are right in saying that we have been much better in the last few years since we started on the path to becoming fan owned. 

19 minutes ago, btb said:

This has  the potential to be our worst signing since Dougie Imrie.

Not even close

Heaton, Kpekawa, King, Brock-Marsden, Kellermam, Rogers, Edwards, Marwood, Duffy, Hippolyte, Hutton, Carswell

could go on for ages. Think that's just Stubbs and Rae 

3 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Not even close

Heaton, Kpekawa, King, Brock-Marsden, Kellermam, Rogers, Edwards, Marwood, Duffy, Hippolyte, Hutton, Carswell

Dougie Imrie isn't even close to being our worst signing since Dougie Imrie :lol:

12 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Not even close

I can't even think who Duffy was, obviously left a real impression.

9 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Darryl Duffy. I don't think he ever actually played, then got put out on loan to Airdrie. It was a strange signing.

Yeah I'm probably being a bit harsh, but made about 3 sub appearances then left. For some reason he popped in my head. 

34 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Not even close

Fair doos - I'd actually managed to forget about Stubbs. 

2 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Yeah I'm probably being a bit harsh, but made about 3 sub appearances then left. For some reason he popped in my head. 

He was a decent player in his day but think he'd been bouncing about clubs in India or somewhere before coming to us. Reminded me a bit of us signing Alan Gow, would've been a great signing if he'd been brought in 5 or so years earlier.

51 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Not even close

Former Champions league player Kyle Hutton has just signed for Pollok. 

According to his Wiki he signed a 2 year deal with us lasted 6 months (including the close season) before being loaned out and had his contract terminated after a year. 

Rae really did have an eye for a player!

1 hour ago, btb said:

Fair doos - I'd actually managed to forget about Stubbs. 

Stubbs and that fuckwit Josh Heaton making a monumental c**t of themselves on Twitter, probably put paid to any chance of either having any further career in the game. Having said that Heaton is possibly the worst player I’ve ever seen masquerading as a professional.

5 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Stubbs and that fuckwit Josh Heaton making a monumental c**t of themselves on Twitter, probably put paid to any chance of either having any further career in the game. Having said that Heaton is possibly the worst player I’ve ever seen masquerading as a professional.

I actually felt a bit sorry for Josh Heaton.

If he'd heen brought in on a free then wed have probably shrugged our shoulders. The fee, and Stubbs talking him up made a rod for the guy's back. He got a lot of stick on twitter and - stupidly - reacted to some of it. Ultimately he came up, wasn't good enough and was moved on.