The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

The scoreline does us little justice, we battered Motherwell today. 

We’re a joy to watch at home, nobody is going to relish a visit to Paisley this season.

If we can hang on to everyone, have a bit of luck with injuries, and improve our points return on the road then this could be a very special season.

PS; Mark O’Hara was in the 1877 before the game and he expects to be involved in the squad next weekend.

4 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Great start to the season for you guys. I know there has been a bit of back and forth behind the scenes with the board/fans/sponsor etc however over the last few years (probably 5) St Mirren have done a great job of just gradually improving themselves as a club. It’s early days but probably favourite for the final top 6 spot assuming that Aberdeen and the Edinburgh clubs are top 5. 

Top 5 has to be the aim as that most likely gets you Europe, but for that to happen one of the big city clubs need to underperform. Killie could be in the mix too if you keep your first choice players fit, recruited very well this summer.

Just now, FTOF said:

Think we'll need some sandbags to stop the salty tears from the Well fans flooding the forum tonight.

Amazing the amount of opposition fans on here that can dish it out before a ball is kicked but can't take it when their teams don't back them up.

Peace and quiet from the Dundee and Well fans for a while, hopefully.

9 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Amazing the amount of opposition fans on here that can dish it out before a ball is kicked but can't take it when their teams don't back them up.

Peace and quiet from the Dundee and Well fans for a while, hopefully.

You've hit the nail on the head.

Tonight just mirrors last weeks events.

Two teams whose supporters perceived "superiority" exudes in every post they make. At least Well have actually achieved something in the past few years, albeit not a cup success in sight. As for Dundee.... Need I say more? 

However, when they get their arses handed to them on a plate, and they get the piss ripped out of them, they adopt some sort of pathetic, precious persona.

Long may it last, as it provides excellent entertainment.:lol:

Edited by FTOF

Players are on it and I think there is still potential to get more fully up to speed, but you'd hardly know that today.

Nothing breeds confidence more than winning every week, game after game.

We were also missing O'Hara  and Ayunga who should be back soon too - two very good players.

However, we are still light squad wise. We saw it after the split last season.

If we play more cup games that stretches things further as well.

Even if its guys who will be more back up this year but ready to go fully next season like CBM and RT last season - we need more depth.

Hoping there will be 2 or 3in this week and none out.

1 hour ago, Div said:

The scoreline does us little justice, we battered Motherwell today. 

We’re a joy to watch at home, nobody is going to relish a visit to Paisley this season.

If we can hang on to everyone, have a bit of luck with injuries, and improve our points return on the road then this could be a very special season.

PS; Mark O’Hara was in the 1877 before the game and he expects to be involved in the squad next weekend.

Good news about O'Hara but Boyd Munce deserves to keep his place. 

1 hour ago, medals said:

Players are on it and I think there is still potential to get more fully up to speed, but you'd hardly know that today.

Nothing breeds confidence more than winning every week, game after game.

We were also missing O'Hara  and Ayunga who should be back soon too - two very good players.

However, we are still light squad wise. We saw it after the split last season.

If we play more cup games that stretches things further as well.

Even if its guys who will be more back up this year but ready to go fully next season like CBM and RT last season - we need more depth.

Hoping there will be 2 or 3in this week and none out.

I hope we strengthen , maybe another 3 or 4 in also hope we can keep Strain and Baccus until tbe January window . Very pleased with our start to the season .

15 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Was told on twitter land would be able to stream the game. Not true though the game was covered by Radio Scotland. No sportscene last night. Can you not get the highlights of these games  ? 

BBC don’t have any rights to the League Cup mate, even for highlights.

Hopefully the club will put some out today on their socials.

14 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Was told on twitter land would be able to stream the game. Not true though the game was covered by Radio Scotland. No sportscene last night. Can you not get the highlights of these games  ? 

Ian, there is a Tweet by Jamie Langfield of the goal ……maybe one of the young team can post it here 😬

the stay away fans missed a brilliant game and an outstanding performance from the buds.there were 5 of us there and we picked 4 different motm when we were discussing the game over a small shandy or 2.for me it was richard taylor who looked a different player from the one we signed.

had a laugh outside afterwards watching the ultras street dancing with each other.lots of chasing and facing up to each other but not a single blow thrown.it started outside main stand and there must have been about 30 police there within 2 minutes.they were desperate to lift someone but you can’t get lifted for playing chases.

anyone know if the big lad who used to do the match day announcer still goes to the games?haven’t seen him since he hung his microphone up.

ended up in the keg in gilmour st.1st time been in it and will be back,good wee pub. 🍻

I thought Taylor was really excellent again today and has absolutely nailed down that LCB starting slot. I'd love to know what led him to be playing in the second division in Ireland when we picked him up because he looks miles above that standard. Another fantastic signing from Robbo.

20 minutes ago, medals said:

Who do you fancy in the draw.

Raith Rover's, Partick or Killie at home for me. 😉

I think we'll get Aberdeen, for no other reason that we're playing Aberdeen next week. Football has a way of doing that sort of thing.