The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

We were on an upward trajectory before Robinson. We've made progress season on season (Stubbs shambles aside) since we brought Jack Ross in.

That's not to say we couldn't hit the skids and find ourselves in the Championship in the near future, of course we could. A bad managerial appointment or losing too many key players at once could undo a lot of the good work.

Robinson came to us because we were a club in good shape. Whilst he has done very well and deserves a lot of credit, there's more to it than just him.

Clubs at our level live and die by recruitment. You dont have a proper process then one unexpected knock can throw everything into disarray. One bad window can f**k you.

Im not saying this will happen, just that if theres anything to worry about then it would be that. Say March you lose Robinson and Foyle, then Tanser, Strain and Baccus all decide theyre leaving in the Summer. If you have a process in place then scouting/negotiating with players can continue without Robinson/Foyle and losing 3 key players isnt a big deal. If you dont then suddenly youve a couple of months to identify and try and sign replacements.

Robinson seems to be trying to "future proof" you though so it doesnt happen that way.

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

Hibs away in the cup.

Could have been worse. 

I'd have taken anyone at home. We've won already at Easter Road, and by all accounts Hibs were poor again today, so no reason why we can't do it again. It's a tough tie though, but any of the teams left in the draw would've been tough. Particularly away.

5 hours ago, AW saint said:

Is this a better period supporting the club than our 1st division wins. 

The players, support and management are so together. 

Our home form is outstanding. 

The squad is one of the best I have seen in ages. 

It's early days. Look at Killie beating both ugly sisters already.

But you are right, it's a really brilliant time for us

Just now, Munoz said:

The Hibs cup game is midweek so will probably effect the support we take through. 

Winnable game.

I've already looked at the trains. Obviously need to take extra-time into consideration, but the last one bound for Glasgow departs at 23:45. 

I think we'll take a decent support with us.

Just now, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I've already looked at the trains. Obviously need to take extra-time into consideration, but the last one bound for Glasgow departs at 23:45. 

I think we'll take a decent support with us.

Unfortunately i can't make it. Hopefully some sort tv coverage. 

3 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

There was nothing live on the Beeb this round, was there? We might be one of the two Viaplay picks, given that one of the Old Firm have been knocked out, though.

Think it's a toss up for the other game. Although, knowing Via Play I wouldn't be overly surprised if they only showed the Rangers game and didn't bother with another. There'll be reruns of Monster Truck racing or something they could play.

16 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I hope we strengthen , maybe another 3 or 4 in also hope we can keep Strain and Baccus until tbe January window . Very pleased with our start to the season .

As much as I and most Buddies would love that to happen,  even allowing for a certain amount of misdirection over 'finances' that Robinson has been known to spout from time to time, 'one' in might be possible, but three or four. well, as much chance of that as Kilmarnock beating Celtic today........................oh wait! Without outgoing players, it ain't going to happen, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

We were on an upward trajectory before Robinson. We've made progress season on season (Stubbs shambles aside) since we brought Jack Ross in.

That's not to say we couldn't hit the skids and find ourselves in the Championship in the near future, of course we could. A bad managerial appointment or losing too many key players at once could undo a lot of the good work.

Robinson came to us because we were a club in good shape. Whilst he has done very well and deserves a lot of credit, there's more to it than just him.

That kind of proves Randoms point though, we were doing well yet one, in the end very short term, bad appointments nearly took us all the way back to stage one. We were a penalty shot out from going straight back down that would have meant no Goodwin, no Robbo.

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

That kind of proves Randoms point though, we were doing well yet one, in the end very short term, bad appointments nearly took us all the way back to stage one. We were a penalty shot out from going straight back down that would have meant no Goodwin, no Robbo.

There was absolutely no progress under Stubbs, nothing, Zilch,zero he was an unmitigated disaster of an appointment. 
It was a minor miracle that Oran Kearney managed to somehow salvage what was a lost cause in one January window.

The squad assembled by Stubbs ought to have resulted in a jail sentence for a guy masquerading as a football manager.

We need to constantly remind ourselves that for a club of our relative size, we need to enjoy the good times when they are here. 

Robinson has done a fantastic Job as have all the other coaching staff to get us to where we are. 
Long may it continue.

11 minutes ago, GAD said:

Um that was an easy penalty shoot-out, in the melee afterwards I strolled on and got most of the penalty spot which is currently in my back garden looking after my washing!

6 minutes ago, GAD said:

I am not going to knock Kearney, but he was a bit of a gamble to take after Stubbs, and one that just paid off. I take your point that one bad decision can f**k you over, but Stubbs was launched early on. Kearney, had a good 8 months or so, with a window to mould the team. As I say, I won't knock Kearney, he achieved what he needed to - survival, but it wasn't Stubbs' fault we ended up in the relegation play off's. At least not fully.

8 minutes ago, Ric said:

I am not going to knock Kearney, but he was a bit of a gamble to take after Stubbs, and one that just paid off. I take your point that one bad decision can f**k you over, but Stubbs was launched early on. Kearney, had a good 8 months or so, with a window to mould the team. As I say, I won't knock Kearney, he achieved what he needed to - survival, but it wasn't Stubbs' fault we ended up in the relegation play off's. At least not fully.

It certainly wasn't Oran Kearneys fault we ended up in the playoffs.