The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

15 minutes ago, NathanDrake88 said:

Goodwin couldn’t get out the door fast enough

He's doing a great job at Utd -  ha ha.

I liked JG but his tactics were not that great - too defensive, always too late bringing on subs etc, and signing Brophy on a 3k or there abouts per week deal.

He actually signed some good players at Aberdeen but left them with poor defensive option.

SR is on another plain.

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

What bits are wrong? It isn't all wrong, sadly. They typically do have bigger squads, for instance, so it's hard to "completely disagree" with what he's saying because it isn't 100% inaccurate.

The part that Hibs are a better platform for getting a bigger gig. There is nothing Robinson can achieve at Hibs that he can’t achieve at St. Mirren and achieving at St. Mirren would be even more impressive. 
I obviously don’t dispute that Hibs have bigger resources than us but they are not THAT much bigger than us to make a difference in profile.

You can’t tell me that at any given time, the board of Ipswich Town or Sunderland are all over what’s going on at Hibs, but haven’t got a clue what’s happening at St. Mirren

3 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Hibs are objectively a bigger club than St Mirren. I would say they're undoubtedly at least the fifth biggest club in the country. They have a bigger stadium, more fans and a bigger playing budget. I would suggest that's why we have haemorrhaged so many players there. If Robinson was to go there he would be paid more.

I would suggest the Hibs job is a poisoned chalice and that is how I hope Robinson sees it. 

I don’t dispute that. The part of his post I bolded didn’t say they were bigger. It said they were higher profile. I disagree with that. Well, I disagree that they are higher profile to any significant extent, regardless of whether they are a bigger club. 

It'd be hard to have a pop at SR for jumping if Hibs did come in. Chucking an extra 20/25/30k a year at anyone would be enough to tempt them and I wouldn't blame him in the slightest. He will know, he's only a few injuries and bad results away from all the hype around him disappearing - so you have to make hay while the sun shines.

I really do hope we can hold on to him. But if Hibs come calling and he does go then best of luck to him. It's been some brilliant football and results to watch.

That said, f**k Hibs.

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

The part that Hibs are a better platform for getting a bigger gig. There is nothing Robinson can achieve at Hibs that he can’t achieve at St. Mirren and achieving at St. Mirren would be even more impressive. 
I obviously don’t dispute that Hibs have bigger resources than us but they are not THAT much bigger than us to make a difference in profile.

You can’t tell me that at any given time, the board of Ipswich Town or Sunderland are all over what’s going on at Hibs, but haven’t got a clue what’s happening at St. Mirren

I'd agree with most of that. I definitely think, for instance, that our sixth (albeit annoying we didn't make Europe) was more impressive than Hibs finishing 5th and not that far in front of us.

Wasn't disagreeing with you, but it's for the very reason that some of what Houston Bud says is true that it is more impressive to have us top half than it is Hibs.

Just now, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

It'd be hard to have a pop at SR for jumping if Hibs did come in. Chucking an extra 20/25/30k a year at anyone would be enough to tempt them and I wouldn't blame him in the slightest. He will know, he's only a few injuries and bad results away from all the hype around him disappearing - so you have to make hay while the sun shines.

I really do hope we can hold on to him. But if Hibs come calling and he does go then best of luck to him. It's been some brilliant football and results to watch.

That said, f**k Hibs.

If it was only 30k a difference, I'm confident we could meet that.

13 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I don’t dispute that. The part of his post I bolded didn’t say they were bigger. It said they were higher profile. I disagree with that. Well, I disagree that they are higher profile to any significant extent, regardless of whether they are a bigger club. 

I cannot speak for @Eddie Hitler, however the point I think we're both making is that given the resources Robinson would have at his disposal at Hibs, he's FAR more likely to achieve success there. Take the playing budget:

Playerbudgets2020.png.973e0b22669b9e3e8732b54e280dbc90.png

The above is from 2020 - https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/latest-premiership-news/scottish-premiership-the-wage-bills-of-all-12-teams-ranked-as-celtic-and-rangers-pull-away-with-majority-of-ps62m-paid-in-salaries-1398455 - so I concede it's a few years out of date. However, I would suggest it's not going to be significantly different. Now this shows each club's players' average salary. Hibs, I would imagine have more players than us, so the gulf is arguably even greater.

They can pay their players almost 2.5x what we can offer! If he took the Hibs job, he can build a much better squad.

The big problem for him, of course, is that he'll be stuck with the one he inherits. However, his managerial acumen coupled with ~2.5x the resources is surely more likely to result in success, is it not? I would guess Hibs have better facilities, too. 

I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, just realistic. Plus, if they pay their players almost three times what we do, then would they not pay Robinson much more, too?

Again, I think it may be a poisoned chalice. Their expectations are much greater than ours and he didn't start off well with us, remember. 

Edited by Black_and_White_Stripes
My maths is shocking - corrections made.

9 minutes ago, medals said:

If it was only 30k a difference, I'm confident we could meet that.

If we can, then we should be already, unless they are happy to let him leave for the income it would bring 

8 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I cannot speak for @Eddie Hitler, however the point I think we're both making is that given the resources Robinson would have at his disposal at Hibs, he's FAR more likely to achieve success there. Take the playing budget:

Playerbudgets2020.png.973e0b22669b9e3e8732b54e280dbc90.png

The above is from 2020 - https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/latest-premiership-news/scottish-premiership-the-wage-bills-of-all-12-teams-ranked-as-celtic-and-rangers-pull-away-with-majority-of-ps62m-paid-in-salaries-1398455 - so I concede it's a few years out of date. However, I would suggest it's not going to be significantly different. Now this shows each club's players' average salary. Hibs, I would imagine have more players than us, so the gulf is arguably even greater.

They can pay their players almost 2.5x what we can offer! If he took the Hibs job, he can build a much better squad.

The big problem for him, of course, is that he'll be stuck with the one he inherits. However, his managerial acumen coupled with ~2.5x the resources is surely more likely to result in success, is it not? I would guess Hibs have better facilities, too. 

I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, just realistic. Plus, if they pay their players almost three times what we do, then would they not pay Robinson much more, too?

Again, I think it may be a poisoned chalice. Their expectations are much greater than ours and he didn't start off well with us, remember. 

And how many trophies has that extra resource won Hibs more than us over the last 40 years?

They might have a higher average league position than us but so what. Finishing in the top 6 isn’t considered success for Hibs. Christ they sacked Jack Ross for finishing 3rd 🤣

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

And how many trophies has that extra resource won Hibs more than us over the last 40 years?

They might have a higher average league position than us but so what. Finishing in the top 6 isn’t considered success for Hibs. Christ they sacked Jack Ross for finishing 3rd 🤣

I totally agree. They have undoubtedly underachieved. 

I think we're possibly on different wave lengths here. My point is just that with the resources at his disposal at Hibs, Robinson might well believe he can achieve much more there.

21 minutes ago, Vambo5 said:

If we can, then we should be already, unless they are happy to let him leave for the income it would bring 

TBH. The figure quoting us paying SR 75k is nonsense anyway. 

The difference in what Hibs would pay will be a lot more than 30k extra.

6 minutes ago, saintmurn said:

Young Murray Campbell to Burnley apparently. I'd assume we've got a decent sell on there. 

Are we selling him? My understanding is that he's never signed a pro contract (I stand to be corrected on this, however) and is essentially free to leave. In that case, we won't be agreeing anything with Burnley so won't be able to negotiate a sell-on.

What we should expect (I would think) is a development fee but not sure of the value.