The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, AW saint said:

Bit meh about this signing until we see him play. Celtic are well served in midfield so his lack of games is no surprise. However it does worry me if he will be any good. 

Celtic spent a few bob on him so there must be a player in there. 

Think we 'only' paid about 7 hundred grand for him but he was a total punt tbh, he's played the vast majority of his career In the Korean second division so was a head scratcher when we signed him. Having said all that despite being nowhere near our team really so far I'm guessing he's done enough to show something otherwise we would have tried to punt him back to Asia like Ideguchi and Kobayashi. Will Be interesting to see how he gets on. A big defensive midfielder is something we have lacked for a long time.

Edited by gannonball

1 minute ago, SS77 said:

Area of the park we needed more depth in, don’t think he’ll be a replacement for Baccus mate.

I hope not but defensive mid wasn't my first concern given we have Baccus CBM and Goga all capable there. Much more need for an attacking "play maker" type to take strain off or provide competition to MOH.

St Mirren Football Club is happy to announce the loan signing of Hyeokkyu Kwon until the end of the season subject to clearance.

The Korean midfielder joins Saints on the temporary transfer for the remainder of the campaign from cinch Premiership league leaders Celtic.

22-year-old Hyeokkyu joined Celtic in July after agreeing a five-year-deal to move from Busan I-Park in his home country.

With Keanu Baccus away with Australia as part of their Asian Cup squad, manager Stephen Robinson admitted it was an area that he was keen to add to.

Stephen Robinson said: "He’s a player that comes highly recommended. Celtic were very keen for him to come to us which is a complement to the coaching staff here.

"He’s played a lot of games in South Korea and was signed by Celtic for big money. It was an area we needed to strengthen in midfield and with Keanu away at the Asian Cup it was important that we strengthened there.

"We believe that he [Hyeokkyu] will come in and add that strength. He breaks up play really well and he can start play really well for us as well. I’ve had some good conversations with Brendan Rodgers about him and we’re delighted to have him in."

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

I hope not but defensive mid wasn't my first concern given we have Baccus CBM and Goga all capable there. Much more need for an attacking "play maker" type to take strain off or provide competition to MOH.

Gogic won’t play midfield for us again, he’s a centre back in Robbo’s eyes and todays BBC stat about winning possession shows he was justified in putting him back there.

I think this will help us switch to 3-5-2 if the preferred 3-4-3 isn’t working.

Will be interesting to see how Kwon does, was a real head scratcher of a signing. Until he appeared on the bench the last 2 games he hadn't been seen since pre-season. Will be make or break for the guy already

Makes perfect sense. As Scotland’s box office team, this will increase our profile in a new market for us. Can easily see all the Korean fans who go to Spurs to watch Son, ditch him, and fly up to Renfrewshire International to see big Kwon.

Easy the Mirren. In Robbo’ we trust.

9 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Gogic won’t play midfield for us again, he’s a centre back in Robbo’s eyes and todays BBC stat about winning possession shows he was justified in putting him back there.

I think this will help us switch to 3-5-2 if the preferred 3-4-3 isn’t working.

And even if we're playing 3-4-3, we can't go into this phase of the season with just two genuine first team midfielders. One of which has been off the boil and the other, in CBM, has been good but wouldn't really be first choice under normal circumstances.

We absolutely needed a signing of this type, so I'm pleased we've addressed it and I hope he turns out to be decent.

Found this quote from when he signed for Celtic:

’’I will become the best player in Celtic and go to higher places such as the German Bundesliga or the English Premier League."

I know nothing about the guy, but I love his ambition!

2 minutes ago, codfish said:

’’I will become the best player in Celtic and go to higher places such as the German Bundesliga or the English Premier League."

Kwon tae’ fcuk Codfish. 😜

2 minutes ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

Celtic fans not convinced by him. One of them said that a condition of the loan should be that he must play against us. 

He apparently played 45 minutes of a testimonial and they had their minds made up so it seems they are as bad a jumping to instant conclusions as some of our fans are.

37 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Area of the park we needed more depth in, don’t think he’ll be a replacement for Baccus mate.

Absolutely correct, 👍needed a bit more presence for a while now to help out.

I don't think I'd consider CBM, O'Hara or Baccus as an actual defensive midfielder. They're all better going forward than defensively.

Hopefully this guy can do the defensive work and allow the other midfielders to push higher up the park. 

58 minutes ago, codfish said:

And looks like his ambition has come true 

36 minutes ago, saintmurn said:

I don't think I'd consider CBM, O'Hara or Baccus as an actual defensive midfielder. They're all better going forward than defensively.

Hopefully this guy can do the defensive work and allow the other midfielders to push higher up the park. 

That's my thinking.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

He apparently played 45 minutes of a testimonial and they had their minds made up so it seems they are as bad a jumping to instant conclusions as some of our fans are.

Absolutely.

I remember some clowns in our support informing us that Baccus would never do after his first game.

My green bigot supporting brother-in-law said that Kwon made some mistakes against Bilbao, but he did also say that Hatate was dreadful that day too.

He mentioned that Kwon was known as the "Korean Rhodri" :lol: and was highly rated in South Korea.

The intention was to play him in the No.6 role.

A leap into the unknown with fingers firmly crossed that he's not shite.

Edited by FTOF

Not an easy transfer window to do deals in, particularly after Brexit. 

Signings so far.... a guy from the Icelandic league with plenty of experience in England and someone Celtic paid £700K for 6 months ago. On paper, looks like decent wheeling and dealing as we've been used to under Robbo.

For comparison, last January, we brought in Small and Watt (sold Erhahon).