The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

40 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Olusanya signed a 1 year extension. Pretty happy with that as he's an important part of the squad. Robinson has a real knack of getting a tune out of players who lots of us may have written off.

He is "classic" Robbo. Chuffed for Toyo given where he was headed this time last year. 

2 hours ago, Ric said:

The VAR discussion ended up going the way it thought, and while I have sympathy for those saying, "VAR isn't giving us the sorts of equality and accountability that we were told it would", the simple fact is that VAR is here to stay. With that in mind, do you continue to fight a Sisyphean battle or pivot to working on making it the accountability tool it really should be? I'm not here to convince anyone, just laying out the 'reality' as Eddie asked me to do.

While I would like to move on from this (the VAR thread is more than capable of holding any number of nuanced positions where this thread should be St Mirren specific) I do want to press on this being a "good thing" that the SFA admitted their error. It won't retrospectively change our points, but the only reason they felt the need to come out and admit that is because VAR is in place. Previously they had the excuse "the referee didn't get a complete look at it", whereas that deniability is no longer valid. Human error once again.

With that, I'll not try and not drag this topic on any more.

Bravo Ric. Greenied for Sisyphean. . Very highbrow for this thread😂😂

23 minutes ago, btb said:

Four goals so far this season - I'd have twisted.

Would imagine he's nowhere near one of the higher earners and is definitely firmly in the 'good option' bracket.

He's a wildcard and his pace is a pain in the arse for defenders and we are getting a lot more out of him than we did in our first season so I don't see much point in twisting for a different inexpensive option who might take another 6 months to a year to settle in.

On 28/02/2024 at 08:21, meadowroadsaint said:

That was some hard watch last night, usual two things happened, Dingwall was freezing and we play shit nine times out of ten when we come up here. It’s bizarre how often this happens and definitely gets on my nerves. I did say at half time to bring on Olusanya to use his pace 😉 as we were not getting in behind. Anyway, as most have said, we snatched a point and should have grabbed all three.

Many Thanks to Calum Gilhooley and TKAFPA Jersey 2 for their company last night, who will confirm my call for Olusanya 😂 and out of the three of us, I reckon I was top moaner……

👍. Good to meet you too Bud .
I was talking to TPAFKA pre match about Olusanya and lets just say , I was less than complimentary in my view of him but thank god he popped up and grabbed us a point !  

A point earned at a very difficult venue is not to be sniffed at I suppose. Onwards & Upwards ⚽

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I really like Toyo.

He’s like a Primark Tino Asprilla. 

While he was at Arbroath I asked one of their fans how he was doing.

"He's like a speedboat with no driver".

He's come on a bit since then.

Really happy that we gave Olusanya a new deal. He is improving all the time. Love his attitude and commitment. 

His wages won't break the bank and we need a player who won't cause issues if on the bench. 

Would love to see him start tomorrow

24 minutes ago, medals said:

The big question is WHY? .... 

He has one of the caravans in that wee park at the top of Murray Street.

1 hour ago, zildjian said:

So what’s the best result for us tomorrow in the killie Dundee match?

A draw. It’s always the best result for any games except ours. 2 points shared while we get 3

10 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Apparently Gianni Infantino will be at the game this weekend.

They are up at Loch Lomond so the nearest game would be either us or Rangers (I presume). That said, I don't want him at the game, he has shown that he cares more about money than he does about the sport he claims to love, or the fans that support that sport. In that sense, you feel he'd be a better fit for Ibrox. On the flip side, there is no such thing as bad publicity (well, Saville aside!) the head of FIFA taking in a game at a fairly unknown, provincial club (in European terms) can only end up "good publicity".

As for Olusanya's extension, it seems crazy because just over 6 months ago I was hoping Robinson would ship him out. Especially after his poor spell at Arbroath. However, Robinson does what Robinson does, and that is get performances out of players you don't expect. I presume he's fairly cheap in terms of wages, and I also presume that Olusanya himself won't rock the boat when he's benched, so imo this works out well for all of us. We know the skills he has, we also know the weaknesses. If used correctly and at the right time in a game, he's shown he can be a very useful option.

16 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

While he was at Arbroath I asked one of their fans how he was doing.

"He's like a speedboat with no driver".

He's come on a bit since then.

Of course there’s a song ready made for him, but only us old farts will know it….

Toy-osi Ol-u-san-ya!

Toy-osi Ol-u-san-ya!

Like a streak of lightenin’ flashin’ ‘cross the sky.

Like the swiftest arrow whizzin’ from a bow.

Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly. 
You’ll hear about him everywhere you go.

The time will come when everyone will know the name of..

Toy-osi Ol-u-san-ya!

Toy-osi Ol-u-san-ya!

Then again…………I’ll get ma coat!

10 hours ago, houston_bud said:

BBC reporting he's at a conference at Loch Lomond. Last papragraph says he's going to the game.

1. We’re box office.

2. He wants a square sausage & tattie scone doubler from the Buddie Good Food van.

3. He wants to wish Warnock farewell and good luck next season at Dagenham & Redbridge.

4. We’re dead handy for the airport.