The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

I see Lewis Morgan came on as a sub today for New York and scored the winner away at Houston. 
I think he’s good enough for the Scotto squad at the Euros. 

He’s hardly kicked I ball for a year, I think. Doubt he’ll get a call at this stage.

5 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

What an absolutely brilliant game yesterday! Toyosi has become a super-sub. Not sure how much he's earning, but his late goal against Cowdenbeath alone, which got us through to the lat 16 of the League Cup, will surely have paid a substantial part of them. In the last four games:

• He won us a penalty at Livi.
  • Scored the second against St. Johnstone.
  • Scored the equaliser against Ross County.
  • Won us the penalty yesterday and then scored the winner.

Part of me thinks he's earned a start. However, I think part of his success is his pace against tired legs. 

The result yesterday shows the team's mentality, especially going for the winner in the 97th minute. I felt a bit for the travelling Dons fans, but ultimately it was karma for the double-touch penalty incident. 

We have four tough games pre-split. I know Celtic have dropped points at home, but in reality we'll probably get nothing from that. So that leaves Kille and Motherwell away, and Hearts at home. I do think at the this time of the season, there are no easy fixtures, though. Most sides are desperately scrapping for points. Aberdeen's time-wasting, dirty tactics yesterday being a prime example.

Good post but he didn't score against the Fakes. 

Screenshot2024-03-0318_59_12.png.f135cd7e514a2aae74d707449a8f883f.png

I always think our away form is terrible, but according to https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=scotland it isn't bad at all! 

Also, with one home game and three away still to play, I'm hoping that we will get three at home after the split. My understanding is that's not necessarily the case, though, is it?

After the same amount of games this year V last year we are 3 places , 4 points & 13 goals better off 👍👍.
 Good steady improvement - tough next 4 games but here’s hoping we can collect a few more points pre-split and have a good ol crack at it after the split . 

IMG_2937.jpeg

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

He’s hardly kicked I ball for a year, I think. Doubt he’ll get a call at this stage.

I’ve not been following his career lately . Why hasn’t he kicked a ball ?   Has he been injured / off form ? 

1 hour ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Screenshot2024-03-0318_59_12.png.f135cd7e514a2aae74d707449a8f883f.png

Here's the current form table for the last 6 matches :-

Form Guide - Last 6 Matches

P +/- Pts
1 Rangers 6 +11 15
2 St Mirren 6 +7 13
3 Heart of Midlothian 6 +1 13
4 Celtic 6 +7 11
5 Motherwell 6 +4 10
6 Kilmarnock 6 +2 9
7 Hibernian 6 -1 8
8 Dundee 6 -6 7
9 St Johnstone 6 -5 4
10 Livingston 6 -6 4
11 Ross County 6 -10 4
12 Aberdeen 6 -6 2

I like this a lot...

I must admit, in the 90th minute i was wondering what robbo must have thought about the last block of 4 fixtures. 4 from 12 at that point with two games against the bottom two. But widening it to 6 it doesnt look as bad! 

3 minutes ago, medals said:

Here's the current form table for the last 6 matches :-

Form Guide - Last 6 Matches

P +/- Pts
1 Rangers 6 +11 15
2 St Mirren 6 +7 13
3 Heart of Midlothian 6 +1 13
4 Celtic 6 +7 11
5 Motherwell 6 +4 10
6 Kilmarnock 6 +2 9
7 Hibernian 6 -1 8
8 Dundee 6 -6 7
9 St Johnstone 6 -5 4
10 Livingston 6 -6 4
11 Ross County 6 -10 4
12 Aberdeen 6 -6 2

I like this a lot...

I’ve missed a right few big St Mirren moments due to being away on holiday, such as the Dundee Utd penalty shootout win, clinching a title at home to Raith, and a few others. The last two minutes on Saturday though have shot into my top St Mirren moments that saw me go about as mental as I ever do at the fitba’. Hugging strangers, jumping up and down, shouting like a madman. The other moments were the final whistle at the 1987 Scottish Cup Final, the final whistle at the 2013 League Cup Final, the final whistle at Dens Park clinching the Fergie’s Furies title, the 2-3 comeback game at Fir Park, Paul McKnight’s goal at Ayr, and the final whistle at the Dundee United ‘Adidas Sambas on ice’ cup game when I invaded a pitch for the first and last time ever, and promptly fell flat on my arse due to not wearing Adidas Sambas.

Those are my top ‘just lost it and went do-lally with joy’ moments. Saturday was one of them. We don’t normally do last-gasp send you completely do-lally things, do we?

Those were an incredible few minutes however for me the second goal celebrations were slightly diminished by a gut feeling that VAR may find a way to intervene and disallow the goal. 

I did celebrate but it was a bit less “involved” than United, Fir Park, Ayr, etc. 

I’m sure I’m not the only one in the ground who thought the SFA VAR shitehawks will find a way to disallow that goal. 

Incredible scenes nonetheless. 

Happy Monday everybody!

The squad going into training today will be happy as fcuk. 

13 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Happy Monday everybody!

The squad going into training today will be happy as fcuk. 

So are we.

Next 2 game are 6 very important points, cause the 2 after that are most difficult indeed.

Any gain on Killie is most welcome.

23 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’m sure I’m not the only one in the ground who thought the SFA VAR shitehawks will find a way to disallow that goal.

I understand that annoyance, VAR should be much quicker, especially when it's as obvious as the penalty.

However, without VAR the referee wouldn't have been forced to (correctly) award the penalty.

Have now watched the Sportscene highlights six or seven times. A thing I never really noticed was the start of the breakaway that ended up with Toyosi’s winner began with Miovski being unable to control a simple throw in played towards him. He displayed all the skill of me at the fives, then he just keeled over and ended up flat on his arse. He takes that ball in, lays it off to a team-mate, and the subsequent scenes never happen. When you look for it, it’s absolute shite from Miovski. Oh dear, what a shame, etc.

Edited by pozbaird

38 minutes ago, Ric said:

I understand that annoyance, VAR should be much quicker, especially when it's as obvious as the penalty.

However, without VAR the referee wouldn't have been forced to (correctly) award the penalty.

Yeah. I totally get that logic. But I still hate the way the flow of the game and the lack of clear communication to the players and the fans inside the stadium as to what is happening

These interruptions definitely affect the experience for the fan at the game. 

Why did it take so long for the penalty award.

Were they going back to try and find a way to find a foul in the build up?

It was as clear as day that the foul was inside the box. Surely when it takes that long they should be inviting the ref to look at the screen as to whether it was a foul or not. 

6 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Yeah. I totally get that logic. But I still hate the way the flow of the game and the lack of clear communication to the players and the fans inside the stadium as to what is happening

These interruptions definitely affect the experience for the fan at the game. 

Why did it take so long for the penalty award.

Were they going back to try and find a way to find a foul in the build up?

It was as clear as day that the foul was inside the box. Surely when it takes that long they should be inviting the ref to look at the screen as to whether it was a foul or not. 

It's definitely concerning, or at least it should be concerning to the SFA (and/or SPFL) that it took a couple of minutes to correct a flawed decision by the official. What's more, it should be concerning that the official got what was a fairly clear penalty decision wrong. The fact they judged that as being out of the box when both players were in it when the offence took place only shows the 'weak link' of VAR. Not the technology, but the officials who literally are incapable of judging correctly what is happening on the pitch.

The fact it was corrected is the main saving grace here, but for me, once again this is human error, nothing to do with the technical aspects of VAR.

Edited by Ric

21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Have now watched the Sportscene highlights six or seven times. A thing I never really noticed was the start of the breakaway that ended up with Toyosi’s winner began with Miovski being unable to control a simple throw in played towards him. He displayed all the skill of me at the fives, then he just keeled over and ended up flat on his arse. He takes that ball in, lays it off to a team-mate, and the subsequent scenes never happen. When you look for it, it’s absolute shite from Miovski. Oh dear, what a shame, etc.

I noticed that too. Have you changed your mind on Miovski now? 😉