The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

That all sounds like, "thanks for the time here but I'll be off now..."

An interesting comment, considering the musings of fans on here and his preferred position compared to the position he plays in the 3-5-2, is this..

This team definitely allows me to play the way I want, especially with the manager's style.

There’s not a Saints fan anywhere who wouldn’t have taken seventh spot and two semi finals if offered it in August.
Been quite a season on and off the park. Can’t help but wonder where we would have ended up if it wasn’t for that nonsense in September.
Think it will be fairly difficult to improve on that next term with a big spending Hearts in the league, but we will see.
More mid table anonymity and getting to a final would be just fine for me.

There’s not a Saints fan anywhere who wouldn’t have taken seventh spot and two semi finals if offered it in August.
Been quite a season on and off the park. Can’t help but wonder where we would have ended up if it wasn’t for that nonsense in September.
Think it will be fairly difficult to improve on that next term with a big spending Hearts in the league, but we will see.
More mid table anonymity and getting to a final would be just fine for me.
Can we say we have established ourselves as a Premiership team now? I think so.

That would have been Jack Ross' main aim had he stayed with us, along with Stubbs, OK and now Goodwin.

We have improved again this season, highest finish for decades. Should have turned out better for us but February was a killer for us, whether that was down to our own doing or bad luck, whatever we were a bawhair away from top 6 and a sniff at European football. Next year will be tougher with Hearts coming back up.

JG will have a bit of rebuilding to do in the summer, out of contract players will move on which is the norm these days, interesting to see what happens to some of our contracted players. Will Erwin, McAllister get shipped out? Can we keep a hold of Erhahon & McGrath? Don't want a summer of too much upheaval.

This is a tight league, a few dodgy signings can see you slump down the table. It's also the nature of the league that you aren't guaranteed 3 points, there are no walkovers as we found out against Accies. It would be nice to get some more 90 minute performances but maybe too much to ask given the competition and the level we are at.

7th and 2 semi finals is good for our club but it shouldn't be celebrated, it could have been so much better. Guaranteed if we finished 9th the Perth and Motherwell weirdos, even some Greenock ones, would have been all over this thread.

Now to sit back and enjoy the play offs and then the build up to the Euros before we get into the pre season.

I'd rather be nearly men than nowhere-fucking-near men. 

Lots of lessons need learning from this season, but I'm sure we will.

Obviously a few big disappointments, but for us to be sitting where we are, with what we've come through and what we've achieved, and be feeling disappointed is a sign of how far we've come and the potential in the team.

Swapping Hearts for Hamilton makes the league stronger, and I think Killie will keep Dundee down, so we need to improve again next season if we're to match what we've achieved this year.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

This is a tight league, a few dodgy signings can see you slump down the table.

This is it. Can take the best part of a decade to establish yourselves as a mid table side in the top flight, but one transfer window can destroy it.

There's arguably only 3 sides safe fron relegation when the season kicks off, and Aberdeen might not be so safe if Glass is a total disaster.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'd rather be nearly men than nowhere-fucking-near men. 

Lots of lessons need learning from this season, but I'm sure we will.

Obviously a few big disappointments, but for us to be sitting where we are, with what we've come through and what we've achieved, and be feeling disappointed is a sign of how far we've come and the potential in the team.

Swapping Hearts for Hamilton makes the league stronger, and I think Killie will keep Dundee down, so we need to improve again next season if we're to match what we've achieved this year.

Once they sack Neilson it will be.

Hopefully, they take a long time to bin him.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is it. Can take the best part of a decade to establish yourselves as a mid table side in the top flight, but one transfer window can destroy it.

There's arguably only 3 sides safe fron relegation when the season kicks off, and Aberdeen might not be so safe if Glass is a total disaster.

I know the split and the difficulty of the fixtures relating to where you fall on the split line is a factor but I don't think the fact that 1 point separates 5 teams is too far away from the mark. The teams in 5th-9th are all very much of a similar stature quality wise and it could be argued that Killie will be thrown back in there too if they get through the playoff.