The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Do you think we'll struggle to score goals this season?

Pretty much what @ZingaliMan said. I think there'll be an improvement vs last season, but not a huge one. We'll be hard to beat and fairly direct. Lots of whipped balls in from wide. I think Main and Brophy have points to prove and we can but hope they form a decent partnership. At least Dennis is a decent option as backup, with the potential to start regularly if the others aren't firing.

Watched the first half, it had a bit of a friendly match vibe to it so I went to bed at half time. Late nights and the Euros have caught up with me.

From what I saw, Dunne strolled it. Looked assured and used his pace when required.

Power looked energetic, not afraid to shout at other players, seemed to organise well enough.

Kiltie provided the assist didn't he? Whoever it was it was a brilliant cross.

Main put himself about, didn't win many headers but won the most important one. Looks like he'll do what Obika didn't and that was drop in and harass defenders. Took his goal well. Maybe not good enough for Aberdeen but there is less pressure on him at our 'level', hopefully flourishes.

Tanser put in some good crosses, generally looked OK.

One foot in the next round already barring any disasters.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Tickets for the Stenny game are general sale to home and away fans for Tuesday night. My ticket has been bought as I won't make the Thistle home match due to being in Inverness.

Has the ballot passed for the Thistle game ? I'm off would like to attend that one. 

On 14/07/2021 at 16:58, pozbaird said:

In any hypothetical talk about sides from different eras playing each other, you surely have to assume both operate under the same conditions. So, if you want to compare the Fergie’s Furies side against any modern side, in my opinion, you must hypothetically have that Fergie’s Furies side with modern training methods, diet, physio, boots, strips, balls, quality of playing surface. Or, assume the more modern team would operate with old style balls, kit, shitey surfaces, having the odd Woodbine, and possibly a dram before taking the field.

Given the application of these hypothetical conditions to the hypothetical debate, my opinion is this… the Fergie’s Furies team would absolutely kick the fcuking arse of any modern St Mirren team I’ve seen into the middle of next week..

An interesting match would be prime time Fergie’s Furies v the 2013 League Cup winning team. I know who my money would be on, but by golly, I’d pay to see it.

A good point about eras, but another way to look at it is to ask how good they were relative to the other teams in the league in a particular season. By that criterion, the 79-80 Jim Clunie side (built on Fergie's furies plus Doug Somner) is the best St Mirren team of my lifetime. Genuine title contenders in March and Anglo-Scottish cup winners against some quality opponents and Sam Allardyce. 

14 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I'm pretty hopeful that this will be the first season for a wee while where we weren't struggling after the first 6 games in the top flight. We had a good start last year and then within a few weeks we were back in the shit again so who knows.

I agree with the big team thing. I assume it's because at the start of the season, the gap between the top and bottom teams is less than we think because neither have been fully training for 2 months. For the smaller teams, a game against the likes of Motherwell is a Cup final and that combination can then be enough for them to catch you on the hop.

The big teams take a while to get going but once they do the gap returns to normal. I think this is why our teams are so crap in Europe.

Interestingly, in England even mid level top tier teams don't tend to struggle in Europe or against smaller teams and I suspect that the reason for this is that those players are much more professional in their approach and keep up their levels of fitness the entire year around leaving just a bit of rustiness due to lack of matches. Our guys seem to need to build up their fitness which tells you that they've been downing tools for the summer. That's the difference I think.

A lot of that can also come down to just being better organised at the start of the season, and then the imbalance settling throughout the league after 6 games or so. For example you lot opened up with a win against us while we were still under Holt, and we had Efe Ambrose at LWB and Aaron Taylor-Sinclair at CB. McCrorie in goals didn't help either. We also gave minutes to Kouider-Aissa and Aymen Souda. Dykes also played while he was trying to sort his QPR move. 

So I wouldn't say it's just limited to big teams, more so it should be a credit to St Mirren for being sorted with a strong plan early on. In comparison, 6 months on in our 1-0 cup win, we had a new manager and 5 different players in the starting eleven compared to St Mirren still under Goodwin with the same back 4 and GK. I think the only changes were Brophy, Erhahon and Connolly. 

Edited by ATLIS

44 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Stevie Mallan has left Hibs going by his Twitter page  its back to Turkey. 

Fair play to him, if he's enjoyed his time there and will probably make a killing from it then go for it son. We were never going to get anywhere near his wages, tbf.

18 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fair play to him, if he's enjoyed his time there and will probably make a killing from it then go for it son. We were never going to get anywhere near his wages, tbf.

Nor afford the transfer. Hibs apparently got a six figure fee for Stevie.

Late posting on Tuesday's game, but really impressed with all of the new boys.

Especially Dunne and Power - and Tanser and Kiltie - oh, and Main!

Liked the fact too that after swapping half the team, so treating it a bit like a friendly, that we still (after a few minute blip) looked good!

Thought Dennis made a couple of superb runs too and was unlucky not to score.

We're not that far away from having a pretty decent team.

1 hour ago, elvis said:

Wonder if we are due any of that.?

Should be 0.5% x 4 (seasons 13/14-16/17, when he was aged 18-21)  plus potentially 0.5% of the previous 2 seasons and 0.25% of any seasons before that.

So, at least 2% of any transfer fee.

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/41c272bcbc3b19df/original/c83ynehmkp62h5vgwg9g-pdf.pdf page 72.